This may be the wrong group to ask...

...but does anyone worry about the elevated cancer risk from eating too much barbecued/grilled food?

No, seriously.
Stop laughing.

Have you ever thought about it, and does it affect how often you use your grills and smokers?

Thought about it, yes. Changed how often I grill or bbq, no.

I'm pretty sure that at least some sort of tenuous "link" to an "increased risk" of cancer can be found in just about anything that we ingest. Many of these "studies" are merely data mining and correlation exercises, and, in the ones that I have bothered to try to track down, either don't specify how much your risk is increased, or, if they do, it's a very small increase (like fractions of percentages.) Does this mean that we should all eat only grilled meats? Of course not. I practice my dad's (physician) philosophy of "....everything in moderation, including moderation." I eat a balanced diet that includes proteins of all types (except tofu), prepared in a variety of ways that includes grilling over direct fire (and veggies, and starches, and.......)

My $.02.

Rich
(in remission since 2015)

The thing to remember is we begin dying the instant we are born. Not that I have any desire to develop cancer, but one has to die of something. And if barbecue, bacon, eggs, virtually anything that brings me any enjoyment is going to kill me, so be it.

For me, basically with all the cancer causing things around me that I cannot control, the things I have done, breathed and eaten already, at 65 I am not going to worry about the small added affect grilling will have compared to the enjoyment I get from it.

I look at it like this. Do you know what is in a ‘natural’ meat? Yes. Do we know what is in processed food or how to pronounce it or what it does to us? I don’t…. Would rather take my chances on a perishable meat cooked on my grill than something processed in a box and needs to be kept frozen or can be stored on a shelf for months.
Since having diabetes, I try and read more of what I am eating and what it‘s made of. Hard to do admittedly, but I lost 50 lbs and kept it off for two years now. Only vice is white claw-cause it has only 2 carbs. Need to be able to wash down the BBQ delicacies from the grill.

But no, grilling or smoking meat does not concern me, but I also like my meats on the rare side (red), and I don’t burn chicken or pork. If I do, it’s tossed.

Steve

Yes I have given it more than a thought since getting into BBQ about 2 years ago. We go through one of those large salad mixes every week. Cut back on smoking meats since prices have gone up. Still do a fair amount of rotisserie chickens. So all in all not too bad.

Meathead has a great article on this:

Yes I have given it more than a thought since getting into BBQ about 2 years ago. We go through one of those large salad mixes every week. Cut back on smoking meats since prices have gone up. Still do a fair amount of rotisserie chickens. So all in all not too bad.
I don’t know about the bagged. I cut my own, when once a summer I want something green to eat. LOL But seriously, google ‘bagged salad‘ recall and you will literally pull up pages of recalls and this is just for 2021.

Back