ThermoWorks Smoke Review

I think I read that they come with the full warranty as well. I just received my Smoke via UPS yesterday. I got it with the 15% off sale so I got a good deal too. Now, I just have to get out and try it out. I think smoked fish might be my first try. I am a novice remote thermometer user as well as a novice "smoker" so if it winds up being a bust, I can't blame the Smoke.

I was hoping to use mine Sunday on a pork rib roast, but it's been sitting in the UPS warehouse here since arriving Wednesday.
Delivery date given was for yesterday, now it doesn't even say when. :(

I have been anxious for another excuse to use my Smoke thermometer and I have a good sized buffalo roast in the chest freezer. Anyone have any good advice on cooking that up on my Genesis 1000. I also have a rotisserie that could accomodate it, if that would be a good way to go with it.

Thoughts?

I got an email this morning saying the Wi-Fi Gateway is available in limited supply.
Guess Chris might link it, he possibly needs approval from ThermoWorks.
It's being offered to SMOKE owners first.
I have no need or desire for one.

I would like one, but not for the price. It just wouldn't be useful enough for me.

I got that same email. I will be looking forward to some reviews once people start using them.

I went ahead and ordered the wifi gateway. It will free me up a bit when doing longer cooks- I will be able to go to my office or run errands without worrying about what the cooker is up to. I don't think it's necessary for most, but figuring on the longer range (using the phone app) and ability to check on things from literally anyplace it looks useful to me. Not cheap (I'd hoped for $50 or so), but much more and I'd have thought "Not at that price."

So, what happens if you are the office and the smoke says your temps are way above the max temp?

I finally got around to using my new Smoke Thermometer. I did a bone in Bostom Butt for pulled pork, yesterday. I really like the Smoke compared to my Maverick 732. The probes look to be MUCH better built. Smoke is absolutely intuitive to use, also. I lost a couple if Maverick probes and their customer service (Maverick) leaves a LOT to be desired. I had occasion to talk to customer service at Thermoworks and a WORLD of difference (no problem with the unit just needed some information).

Color me with a smile on my face. Thanks to Chris for an excellent review!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53

Anyone looking for a nice case for their Smoke, the AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics is an almost perfect fit. It has a large pocket on the inside of the cover that will hold the long probes and the base unit. The remote unit can fit in this pocket as well or there's another small pocket on the bottom half that looks made for the remote. Perfect fit. The air probe will fit in one of the small zippered pockets. I paid $7.07, though with Amazon's crap shoot pricing today it's $7.99. The ASIN is B002VPE1QG. Perhaps Chris can provide an affiliate link.

My SMOKE came today, after an 8 day UPS joy ride.
First impressions:
Very robust, and the weather sealing looks substantial.
I like the spring protectors on both ends of the probe wires.
It appears easy to operate.

Only niggle, having not tried it yet, is there's no stand for the receiver, and the bottom is rounded.
It will stand up, if the lanyard isn't attached, but I would have liked a stand, like on the transmitter or my old Maverick.
No plans to wear it around my neck, it might reprogram my pacemaker. :rolleyes:

Jay: I have a similar one for the Tuner for my truck. Great product and great price. I will be ordering one of these.

Only niggle, having not tried it yet, is there's no stand for the receiver, and the bottom is rounded.
It will stand up, if the lanyard isn't attached, but I would have liked a stand, like on the transmitter or my old Maverick.
No plans to wear it around my neck, it might reprogram my pacemaker. :rolleyes:
That's a legitimate niggle, Bob. I used mine on Saturday and the best I could work out with the remote was to just lay it flat on the table and pick it up when I wanted to read it. I was thinking it could maybe use a removable belt clip.

Your pacemaker comment reminded me that I was kind of upset with the range on the remote. It lost connection several times when i was in the basement less than 30 feet from the base unit. Then I remembered that the laptop power adapter it was sitting next to made it impossible for me to get anything at all on my shortwave radio even when it was 50 feet from the antenna. Given that the remote was mere inches from the horrendous RFI generator that is that power adapter, I guess the range was pretty good after all.

Back