ThermoWorks Smoke Review

I just picked up a used WSM 22" last week to add to my collection. :) Test drove it with 4 butts and during the cook my TruTemp wireless thermometer's gave up their last gasp. I was tempted to go with a Maverick and was looking for info on here about pros and cons and other wireless thermometers. Having heard about Thermoworks reputation especially with the Thermopens I was happy to see this review and all the positive comments. Yesterday I ordered Smoke and an extra hi temp probe which are on sale right now. I'm really looking forward to trying it out when it arrives.

As far as a kickstand for the receiver comments the first thing I thought of was all the binder clip hacks I've seen on Lifehacker. I've posted some links of possible uses of a binder clip with a Smoke receiver.

https://lifehacker.com/make-a-phone-charging-stand-with-a-pair-of-binder-clips-1790937802
https://lifehacker.com/5875653/make-a-simple-smartphone-dock-out-of-two-binder-clips
http://www.instructables.com/id/iPhone-Binder-Clip-Stand-Ver-20/
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-istand-using-binder-clips-71605

I appreciate all the info I see on here and want to say thanks to Chris and everyone that contributes to make this site so great.

I will be looking forward to seeing your thoughts after you get the smoke thermometer. Since you already owned another brand, you have something to base your opinions on. I have a smoke and love it, but never really used any other wireless therm before.

Also, something you may want to consider for your new Smoke is that nice storage case. When I bought mine, it was only $7, but even at under $10 they are still a great deal and they hold the smoke and accessories great.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004I5BUSO/tvwb-20

Last edited:
Have I missed something or dosnt the Smoke GW save the cooks on a website so you can share or save for later reviews?

Have I missed something or dosnt the Smoke GW save the cooks on a website so you can share or save for later reviews?

Dennis.. You might be thinking about the CyberQ Cloud by BBQ GURU. It works with their website Sharemycook.com. Your cooks are uploaded to the website and are stored and can be shared with others.

Got my new Smoke thermometer yesterday. I thought the small package of Jelly Belly jellybeans they packed in the box was an awesome extra they threw in. The email they sent 4 days ago for a "lets get started" on operating and care tips.

I love doing business with companies that have a customer first attitude. This is my first experience with Thermoworks despite lusting over a thermopen for a while now. I am pretty sure this won't be the last dealing I have with them. Good work.

Doesn't save your cooks on a website, but you can download data to a PC to review, analyze later.

To clarify...ThermoWorks says they save the data from your last 5 cooks on their server. You can see these cooks under "Saved Graphs" on the smartphone app and can download them using the app. Your next cook causes the oldest saved graph to be deleted from their server. You can also manually delete cooks from their server from within the app.

I love doing business with companies that have a customer first attitude. This is my first experience with Thermoworks despite lusting over a thermopen for a while now. I am pretty sure this won't be the last dealing I have with them. Good work.
This was my experience as well. They've been an excellent company to deal with and I've been very happy with everything I've bought from them, which is now getting to be quite an assortment of items. It seems a bit odd but I love the Big and Loud timer. The big buttons make it easy to use and the alarm can be set loud enough to be heard throughout the house. It gets far more use than I thought it would when I first bought it.

If you don't absolutely have to have 3 second response time from your thermometer, they have an assortment of other thermometers with 6 second response time for way less than the ThermoPen. You might want to check them out. Maybe wait for one of their sales. Now that you've bought from them you'll likely be getting regular mailings.

Speaking of which, this is the only place I've dealt with that sends out promotional mailings that always include truly useful information. I think it goes back to that attitude about customers.

The ThermaPen Classic is now on sale for $62.50. That's 20% off the normal price. That's still a lot more than some of their other perfectly decent pocket thermometers, but if you have your heart set on a ThermaPen, this looks like the time to buy.

The Smoke is on sale for $84 today. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get one! Will help out a bunch on Thanksgiving Day.

Stupid question alert, and if it's been covered already I'm sorry: Do I need to stick the cord/line through the grommet on the WSM or can I just have them under the lid? Just putting on that grommet was a huge pain in the rear and I've heard a lot of people accidentally pulling their grommets off their WSMs when removing the cord/line from Smoke and other digital therms. Thoughts/advice? Sorry about the ignorant question... I've never used a digital therm before, so I'd like to know beforehand.

You don't have to put it through the grommet. It certainly can go under the lid, or even out the top vent.

Thanks, J. I know it was an ignorant question, but again, I'm just a newbie to these digital therms.

I love my Smoke thermometer. It takes all the guess work out of grilling, BBQing and smoking. You will be amazed at how much the difference in temps between the Weber lid thermometers and the temps recorded using the ambient air probe at the grill grate level.

Bruce, I can't wait!

I've done 10 cooks with my WSM since June (when I got it) with no gadgets whatsoever, only going by the dome temp. I've cooked up some amazing food despite going by what it says, but I'm curious to see just how inaccurate the temp is for me.

Troy...

You'll love the Smoke ! Btw, if you used the Smoke to check against the dome thermometer, remember its not an accuracy issue but rather a location issue.

Bob:
Yes, I understand that, but when a recipe tells you to cook at 350 degrees and all you have is the dome thermometer to go by, you are likely cooking the food at more like 450 since the temp on the grate level is where the food is at. THe smoke thermometer just takes the guess work out of grilling.

Bob:
Yes, I understand that, but when a recipe tells you to cook at 350 degrees and all you have is the dome thermometer to go by, you are likely cooking the food at more like 450 since the temp on the grate level is where the food is at. THe smoke thermometer just takes the guess work out of grilling.

It depends on so many factors...I recently made a brisket and checked lid temp and grate temp every 30 minutes. More often than not, there was not a big difference between the two, and sometimes the grate temp exceeded the lid temp! So I've given up on my assumptions about temp differences between the two grates.

LidGrate

Lid thermometer is a Wika industrial thermometer with 4" stem. Grate temp is a ThermoWorks Smoke.

Back