ThermoWorks Smoke Review

For those with the Maverick, don't you need to buy a 2nd Single-Channel Probe Transmitter if you want to use the Dual-Channel Receiver?
(Or have they developed a dual transmitter / does the display "switch" between the two probes?)
The ET-732 and ET-733 both use 1 transmitter that accepts 2 probes. You don't need a second transmitter.

This sounds like it will replace the drawer full of "merely OK" thermometers I've been using for years.

I don't think so, because of the sealed silicone connection where the probe meets the wire. See the photos of the probes earlier in this thread, those silicone connections are quite chunky.

I wish they made a Smoke with all thermocouples instead of the thermistor probes. I'd be all over that in a second. But I suppose when my maverick goes I'll upgrade to this.

We have been spending quite a loot of dough over the last several months...
home repair bs and it's after effects.....

purchasing the TW Smoke was/has been on my mind since this review by Chris (not that he needed to sell me on it)...

anyway, last week it was announced the company I have been employed with for almost 30 years issued bonus checks today.
(point-five) .5% more than the last 8 or so years.

I used the extra .5% to purchase the SMOKE with an additional Pro-Series[SUP]®[/SUP] High Temp Cooking Probe for those unexpected two-meat smoking events :p

I'm soo excited!

Chris,

Have you got your hands on the Smoke Gateway (WIFI) for review? Any word on when it will be available to purchase? I'm waiting anxiously!

Adam

My contact at ThermoWorks tells me that the Smoke wifi gateway is supposed to come out in June. Stay tuned for more details.

Let me piggyback an in-use review here (or Chris can move it of course)

I cut a slot for the probe wires in the lip of my Middle Section- that was easy to do with my cheapo angle grinder and an abrasive cutting disc.

Setup was A SNAP - power the units up (order done did not matter) plug-in the probes, and GO!

User Interface seems very well thought-out. I was able to set different high AND low limits for both probes. Nice feature is that remote unit automatically tells you what those limits were set at.

I was able to use the fold-out stand on the Master Unit to straddle the top of my fence, which also doubles as a wind break. But I think I will eventually make a bracket with an upside-down plastic enclosure and a metal plate inside for rain-proofing (cables can exit from bottom and built in magnets on Transmitter will hold it in place.)

This thing is A BREEZE to use and build quality seems really decent.

Range - it reaches from smoker to my bedside table MUCH better/ more reliably than my old cheapo Maverick single channel that it is replacing. Seems to be about as-advertised. Pacing off distance gave me about 300 feet in the open, with a clear line-of-sight between units. It shot all the way through my house into the front yard (about 150 feet with obstructions). If you have lots of metal / aluminum siding on you home YMMV

Also noted a vibrating alert in pocket unit, but I could not find a way to mute it

Last edited:
For anyone interested in purchasing a Smoke (or anything else from Thermoworks), they have a coupon code, SITEWIDESAVE15, that will save you 15% on everything on the site. The email I got didn't mention how long this coupon is valid.

I purchased a Smoke from Thermoworks and ordered an additional meat probe. I am having two minor problems with the base unit.
1). The first time I used it, everything worked like a charm. The second time I used it the receiver would not pair with Channel One. So I reset the base and it worked, but Channel One takes about 15 seconds to pair. For me, it's really not an issue, but as I am writing this, I think I will contact Thermoworks and run it past them just in case it is a prelude to a failure. Their CS department even has a live chat feature and they are very helpful.

2). The range is only about 100 ft. or roughly the distance from my garage to my livingroom. So, in essence, if I am smoking, I can't exactly head inside to take a break because I lose signal. Solution: a Smoke Gateway. I'm on it as soon as they release them.

Yah, I just pulled the trigger on one as well. Gotta get home the day it is delivered before the wife does so I can hide it from her.

I'm back with another ad from ThermoWorks. (Just kidding.) They're having an open box sale on the Smoke right now. It's discounted to $76 from $99. I've ordered open box items from them before and they've always been just like brand new. Might be luck of the draw but, if so, my luck has been good. I just ordered one. With the flat rate shipping the total was $79.99.

Use this link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back