The Humor Thread

How the hell did no one ever tell me this and I did not know it? I had to sit through calculus and yet they never taught this?
View attachment 42866
My wife, an accountant, said "of course", and looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked her if she knew this. A close friend with a degree in mathematics though was caught completely off guard and wasn't aware. I guess my wife truly does know everything.:confused:

How the hell did no one ever tell me this and I did not know it? I had to sit through calculus and yet they never taught this?

When you learn multiplication, you are indirectly learning the commutative property applies:
( the order of the operands does not change the result for multiplication )

eg: A * B = B * A,

This extends to A*B*C = A*C*B etc.

I think it gets masked because English words are used along with "percent of"

"eight percent of " or "8 %" is really "8 * (1/100)" which is also the same as 8 * .01

So:

8% of 25 == 8 * .01 * 25 == 25 * .01 * 8 == 25% of 8

1641498769103.png

I figured that out in grade school. You only had to learn about half your multiplication tables and once you knew them, you knew division already. This probably no longer applies with the new math.

View attachment 42866
Think of the money I could have saved. When my kids were little, I would put a dollar on the table and had a pile of coins. I would tell them "show me 45%" (or whatever % came to mind) in as few as coins as possible, or in as many coins as possible, or some other configuration. The bottomline is they got the coins if they solved the problem correctly. I always kept the dollar though, after all, the teacher has to get paid, lol

Back