The Humor Thread

Yup, that lasted until a bunch of idiots discovered you could get really high sniffing the glue. Sure made it a lot harder to build models. The crap they replaced it with wasn't worth 2 cents, and cost more than the good stuff. You remember how much a tube of Testers was back then DanHoo? What. a quarter?

Yup, that lasted until a bunch of idiots discovered you could get really high sniffing the glue. Sure made it a lot harder to build models. The crap they replaced it with wasn't worth 2 cents, and cost more than the good stuff. You remember how much a tube of Testers was back then DanHoo? What. a quarter?
I don't remember how much the glue was, but gas was 29 cents a gallon.

23 cents a gallon at the local Reno gas station during a "Gas War". Do you remember those? And buying reclaimed oil in the glass bottle with a spout at the local Hancock gas station. I had a '61 Chevy Impala with a 348 and Tri-power, a 4-speed and a 20 gallon gas tank. I could fill it up for $5. I never bothered to figure out my MPG...nobody cared back then.

My wife's parents had a new '64 Impala SS with a 327 and Powerglide. She caught me leaving a girl's house (we were just dating back then and it was innocent, I swear!) She chased me all over town. I couldn't shake her...that 348 was a boat anchor of an engine.

23 cents a gallon at the local Reno gas station during a "Gas War". Do you remember those? And buying reclaimed oil in the glass bottle with a spout at the local Hancock gas station. I had a '61 Chevy Impala with a 348 and Tri-power, a 4-speed and a 20 gallon gas tank. I could fill it up for $5. I never bothered to figure out my MPG...nobody cared back then.

My wife's parents had a new '64 Impala SS with a 327 and Powerglide. She caught me leaving a girl's house (we were just dating back then and it was innocent, I swear!) She chased me all over town. I couldn't shake her...that 348 was a boat anchor of an engine.
The 348 was the 409's little brother. That was back when they were using truck engines in passenger cars. Think the first 348s in passenger cars was '58. Best friend had a 58 Impala with a 348 and 3 on the tree. They did have some serious torque.

I just asked my wife if she remembered when she used to chase me all over town. She asked me, "Which time? "

Oh, brother...I better quit while I'm ahead.

Wasn't it Hancock that had pumps that you dialed up the octane you wanted, with 4 or 5 options?
I don't remember exactly, but I do remember the oil. My buddy's car, a '54 Ford Business Coupe (no rear seat) burned oil almost as fast as it burned gas. It was my job to put the oil in (and I used to pay for the gas and cigarettes, too...such is life when you're only 15 and can't drive...legally, that is...)

One morre funny story...my buddy (a year older than I, in case you were wondering) and I were going to go to the beach. It was early January, temps sometimes get down in the 30s in SoCal, bitter cold for this native. We were awfully white from no sun and wanted to look good so we thought we'd pick up some tanning lotion (ManTan). We got to the nearby Longs drug store about 20 minutes before it opened and were sitting in the car freezing (his car didn't have a heater) when he had the bright idea that we should find out who was the Bigger Man and take our shirts off and roll the windows down. So we're sitting in the car in front of the store with a near-empty parking lot, shirtless with the windows down, obviously underage but both of us smoking and freezing our butts off, and the police roll up.

So that took a fair bit of explaining, but by the time we had our records checked and a FI (field interrogaton) report made out, by that time the sun had come up and it was warming up. We got our ManTan and appliied it in the parking lot and headed off to the beach. By the time we got to the beach we were both starting to turn a beautiful glowing orange, not at all like they show in the commercials. Even the palms of our hands turned a bright orange. We didn't get out of the car but turned around and headed home and tried to lay low for the next week or two until the orange faded.

Yep that old 348 was a truck engine. Didn't rev like the little 265/283 but had "grunt". Sunoco was the one you dialed the octane you wanted BTW. Happy Days for sure. I like Ike

Back