The All Encompassing Beer Thread

Well I thought I would post my Smoke Day selection here - and don't worry, pics will be taken and posted with the full report
icon_wink.gif

I will be serving some Rogue Dirtoir Schwarzbier, Ommegang Hennepin Saison, Duchess de Bourgogne oud Bruin, and some 2010 Half Pints Barley Wine for desert!!! I think I spent more time selecting the beers than I did selecting the rest of the menu
icon_wink.gif

Full Sail Pale Ale or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale if I got some extra $$ laying around and don't care about getting completely bloated and feeling like a fatso.

Otherwise, ICE COLD Bud Light preferably in a bottle but the cans work in a pinch too.

any beer just that some beers are better than others!little creatures pale ale,beez knees,pepperjack james squires,boags

there's a lot of good beer to be had these days compared to just a few years ago. I mostly like an IPA with my grilled or bbq'ed food, or a bitter. Mostly I drink locally produced craft brews, but I enjoy me some Sierra Nevada, Goose Island or New Belgium stuff once in a while as well.

Always cool to se and read a review of beers i never tasted and can get a hold of. I LOVE newcastle Brown. And I love it with Q.

But here is a story of a former boss @ Work.

He would only drink Carlsberg...No any other brand.
And when he ordered a case (24-30) bottles(he would only drink bottles)

He wanted all Green bottles...Couse he couldent dring from a brown one?!

He was the reasson i left that job. Nut´s!

Being in San Diego we are lucky enough to have a few good micro breweries. I have growlers from some of the bigger ones so when I know it's time to light up the charcoal we will go on a pretty good growler fill too. My go to would be Speedway Stout from Alesmith. This isn't your average alcohol content, this packs 12 percent alcohol in a coffee chocolate stout. If I want something crisp an IPA from Green Flash can give just enough hops to hit the spot. Summertime beers, I can go with Ballast Point Pale Ale, Pizza Port Honey Blonde or Karl Strauss Woody Gold. I can't forget Stone Smoked Porter to help setup the what's smoking on Weber either. Lucky enough to have local breweries so why not support local business.

Glad to see this thread still going.

I enjoyed a Wailua Wheat from Kona brewing over the weekend. Well, a couple actually. Very nice wheat beer. Not overly "wheaty", like many wheat beers can bee. And just a kiss of the passion fruit would have you wondering what was in there if it weren't on the label.

I finally was able to find some Bell's Oarsman this past weekend. I had it for the first time at a beerfest last summer, but was unable to find it. It's an ale, lightly hopped with citrusy flavors, but nicely tart. Fantastic summer beer.

Fuller's London Pride has been disappearing around me lately too.

Tried another winner:

New Glarus "IIPA" (Thumbprint / Un-Plugged Series)

If you like an IPA that's off-the-hook, loaded with hops, give this one a whirl if you can get yer pork-fat & rub stained grubby paws on some.

A nearly perfect companion to a nice, juicy PP sandwich!

We just got back from a trip to New England. We stopped in NJ,and picked up a sixer of River Horse Summer ale. Good stuff! I wish I'd gotten more!
My nephew used to work at a brew pub in Portland called Gritty's. All great stuff. He doesn't work there anymore,but his BIL,my nieces husband,works for a beer distributor. He hooked me up with a great IPA called Maines Best IPA.
Sad times though.
icon_frown.gif
I'm down to my last sixer. If it wasn't so for,I'd make a beer run!

Theo sounds like you got it all. I'm putting my order in for a few "speedway stouts" my mother in law sends us a few items from that area and that sounds right up my alley!

Great thread! I tend to keep it simple - NBB or Sierra Nevada brews. I'm a big fan of the movement to cans as lining process now prevents any off flavors.
Jim

Wow - no posts since July 2012. I was hoping this thread would get it's own spot in the forums. Just bought some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 2012. Nice combo of hops and malt. Costco here in AZ had Stone IPA for $27.59 per case, so I stocked up on that! Still debating whether to keep homebrewing or give it up... results have been good, but cost has been more than I thought it would be.

Wow - no posts since July 2012. I was hoping this thread would get it's own spot in the forums. Just bought some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 2012. Nice combo of hops and malt. Costco here in AZ had Stone IPA for $27.59 per case, so I stocked up on that! Still debating whether to keep homebrewing or give it up... results have been good, but cost has been more than I thought it would be.

I'm a big fan of most Sierra Nevada brews, but have been stick to the lower end stuff (bud, miller, coors) recently. Microbreweries seem to getting bigger down here, 5ish now around town.

Leinenkugel's current "Big Eddy" offering is Baltic Porter and I treated myself to a 4-pack ($10.99, not cheap) for the holidays. It's not as rich as the Russian Imperial Stout but it still has good flavor, and at 8.5% it'll slap you down if you have one too many.;)

That surprises me. I've only done 2 batches of beer and a hard cider, but it seems to be getting a lot cheaper now that I've purchased all the little things (and big things) to brew. Are you brewing all grain or extract?

Leinenkugel's current "Big Eddy" offering is Baltic Porter and I treated myself to a 4-pack ($10.99, not cheap) for the holidays. It's not as rich as the Russian Imperial Stout but it still has good flavor, and at 8.5% it'll slap you down if you have one too many.;)

The Big Eddy Scotch Ale was very good, too. I think that was 9.5%.

Good stuff Mike. It's $35.00 a case here but I'm on my second case. Yes, I'm shameless.

It has somehow become a tradition that I bring a large format bottle of Anchor's holiday brew to the festivities at my parents' place each year. Always enjoy that. Lately, Troeg's "mad elf" has been spotted in my hand frequently. I took up winemaking about ten months ago. Much of the equipment for brewing is the same and I've done a few one gallon all grain batches. Cost isn't too bad. I've also bought a few one gallon ingredient kits from Brooklyn Brew Shop. Cost is high, but they turn out well. I'm lining up a bourbon dubbel, RyePA, and Bruxelles Black for the next several weeks. Should be fun.

Back