The All Encompassing Beer Thread

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
To me, grilling and partaking in a fine beer, go hand in hand. Whether it's a refreshing fruit infused IPA on a hot summer day, a pumpkin inspired beer during the fall months, or a beautiful stout or porter during the winter months...there's always a beer that takes an afternoon on the grill to new heights. I'd like to dedicate this thread to one of man AND woman's greatest accomplices in any grilling, BBQ'ing, and smoking occasion: BEER. Please feel free to post pics of what it is you enjoy around a live fire, and even touch upon where it's from, what makes it so appealing to you. Hopefully some of you will share some fine brews that the rest of us can get our hands on and enjoy ourselves.
icon_smile.gif

I'll go first.
icon_biggrin.gif

25dd75f2.jpg

I think I've made it pretty apparent I'm a huge fan of Dogfish Head . Living just outside of Philadelphia, I'm relatively close to the birthplace of their fine beers in Rehobeth Beach, Delaware. The six fine examples of DFH above, are Red & White, Sahtea, Robert Johnson's Hellhound on My Ale, Namaste, Theobroma, and Squall IPA. You can find Dogfish Head beer near you with the Fish Finder.
Dogfish Head releases an astounding variety of beers throughout the year. Some are produced all year round, while others are seasonal, or even rarities.

These are among some of my favorite DFH beers. The Red & White (1st bottle on left) is a fabulous fruit beer that releases in February. Red & White is a begian-style Wit. DFH brews this beer with a combination of coriander and orange peel, while fermenting it with Pinot Noir juice. This is a fabulous beer for chicken and pork, and lends it self beautifully to cheeses, and even goes wonderfully with desert. I took a few bottles of this and the Black & Blue on a fishing trip to New York where we typically rip through 10 cases of Yuengling in a week. Obviously I got some strange looks when I pulled out these large format bottles with pretty labels. Everyone was floored at how good they were. We had a bottle every night, and it's been requested for next year as well. Some fruit beers are overpowering. This one's just right.

If anyone else has questions about the others pictured, I'd be more than happy to give my opinion. They're all wonderful, I just don't want to take up a whole page with the first post. LOL

Edit: By the way... Feel free to relocate this thread to another section if you feel it fits more appropriately elsewhere, Chris.
icon_smile.gif

First post here on TVWBB, so fittingly enough it will be about beer
icon_biggrin.gif
Overall, my favorite beer is Arrogant Bastard by Stone Brewery in California. It's a strong ale that is best described as mahogany in color and complex in taste. It has a higher abv at 7.2%, and pairs well with any hearty meal, but especially a great steak imo.

Here's a picture that I found on the net:

arrogant-bastard.jpg

I also enjoy Stone's IPA and Imperial Russian Stout (with a cigar, of course!).

For an inexpensive choice, I usually pick up some Miller High Life.

Hayden,

If you ever make it through Atlanta, make sure to stop by my cellar/house!

I am fortunate to have had each of the beers in your picture. I even have a DFH B****es brew sitting in my cellar.

I have been whispering about a beer forum, but not sure if it fit’s Chris’s format. But I would love a beer forum on here as I love my beer very much.

Cracked this open since my mother was in town this week, and she can’t get good beer very often. It’s the final brew in the Sierra’s 30th anniversary series, “Our Brewer’s Reserve”. It was blended Oak-aged Bigfoot, Celebration Ale, and fresh Pale and then dry hopped. It was perfectly smooth after a few months of aging.

grandcru.jpg

Matt,

Stone is an excellent brewery and love just about everything they put out.

Matt,

I just realized this after posting the pic. Do you see the brown spoon rest to the left? That is actually a melted down bottle of Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale. Not sure why my aunt got it, but I've had it for a few years.

JSMcdowell,

Yes, I do see that...neat! I have tried many different micro brews and beers throughout the last few years (recently graduated from college), but Stone is usually what I pick up most often when wanting a good beer.

FWIW, Bitburger in the 16oz can is by far my favorite beer from a can, and I actually prefer it to the bottle. It used to be quite the deal, too.

I heartily agree with a sub-forum regarding beer! Hopefully many here are into homebrewing - I love Chris A's site and I'm on it every day, so not having to leave here to talk beer/homebrew on another site would be great!

But Chris, if it's a headache for you to do something like this we will certainly understand! Thank you for an excellent web site!

Originally posted by Mike Willis:
I heartily agree with a sub-forum regarding beer! Hopefully many here are into homebrewing - I love Chris A's site and I'm on it every day, so not having to leave here to talk beer/homebrew on another site would be great!

But Chris, if it's a headache for you to do something like this we will certainly understand! Thank you for an excellent web site!

I agree, if it's a headache I more than understand. Perhaps just let this thread fly? I just forever seem to be pairing beer with grilling and the food that goes along with it...and would love a place to discuss it. I truly enjoy my beer as much as the food, and that's saying something. While I don't necessarily have the ambition nor the desire to brew my own, I thoroughly enjoy the efforts of others, and really like discussing it with other enthusiasts.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Hayden,

If you ever make it through Atlanta, make sure to stop by my cellar/house!

I am fortunate to have had each of the beers in your picture. I even have a DFH B****es brew sitting in my cellar.

I have been whispering about a beer forum, but not sure if it fit’s Chris’s format. But I would love a beer forum on here as I love my beer very much.

Cracked this open since my mother was in town this week, and she can’t get good beer very often. It’s the final brew in the Sierra’s 30th anniversary series, “Our Brewer’s Reserve”. It was blended Oak-aged Bigfoot, Celebration Ale, and fresh Pale and then dry hopped. It was perfectly smooth after a few months of aging.

grandcru.jpg

Matt,

Stone is an excellent brewery and love just about everything they put out.

That right there...is purdy. I'm supermegahyperjealous. LOL Sierra Nevada makes some top notch stuff.

I'm a huge beer lover as well as all things Dog Fish Head. Living in Maine I also have a good selection of New England craft & micro brews to choose from as well. Perhaps even better though, I live 2 miles from what Beer Advocate has rated one of Americas best beer bars in Ebenezer's Pub.

aad56b76.jpg

Another handful of my favorites. The Firestone Walker Parabola on the left is out of this world. It's a Russian Imperial Stout (13% ABV). I'm cellaring that one for the foreseeable future. The FW Double Jack is one of my favorite IPA's ever. I drank copious amounts of this during Philly Beer Week, and it's on tap now at my favorite bar, Capone's, in Norristown, PA. The bottle of Mokah, by Southern Tier, is an American Double Imperial Stout (11% ABV). Truly ridiculous stuff. The fourth bottle from the left is Mongo IPA by Port Brewing. It's an Imperial IPA (8.5% ABV). It's an incredibly crisp, refreshing, fruity IPA. One of my favorites ever. The last in the picture is a bottle of Guava Grove by Cigar City. It's a saison (8.5% ABV) that is just ridiculously unique. Fruity with a tinge of smoke. Even better from the tap.

Happened upon a Dogfish event at Brigids near the art museum while visiting philly - not a single beer was less than 7%abv and I'm glad we weren't driving. Several outstanding pints later, none of which I remember the name of, and I was completely sold on Dogfish's product and philosphy. We get a few of their products here (90minIPA) but I never realized the variety of beers they produce. I should also mention that I don't think a lot of those beers were produced for retail (there was a gravity beer) so if you hear of one in the area take advantage.

Next year I'm shooting to get back for beer week.

Hayden,

There are more of the caliber in the cellar, although it has taken a hit with my mother in town for a week. She enjoys good beers as well.

Chris,

I've heard of Ebenezer's through a few beer magazines.

Down here in Decatur we are stuck with a lowly #2 rated pub in the world, Brick Store Pub

Thing I love most about Decatur is there are several pubs like this with great food, and great beer.

Originally posted by Greg M.:
Happened upon a Dogfish event at Brigids near the art museum while visiting philly - not a single beer was less than 7%abv and I'm glad we weren't driving. Several outstanding pints later, none of which I remember the name of, and I was completely sold on Dogfish's product and philosphy. We get a few of their products here (90minIPA) but I never realized the variety of beers they produce. I should also mention that I don't think a lot of those beers were produced for retail (there was a gravity beer) so if you hear of one in the area take advantage.

Next year I'm shooting to get back for beer week.

For those who don't know...Philly Beer Week, is ridiculous. It is the epicenter of beer nirvana for 9 days. Even if you can't make it up here for an entire week, you have to get up here for a few days. I would LOVE to have a pile of people from this site here for a week of beer and BBQ. Now THAT'S a trip worth making. LOL

Hayden,

If my Braves could be in town that week, then I would definitely be there. That would just be perfect. Think Delta would let me check my WSM ?

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Hayden,

If my Braves could be in town that week, then I would definitely be there. That would just be perfect. Think Delta would let me check my WSM ?

LOL Yeah. Imagine something the shape of a giant bullet/bomb checking through security. Best to just ship it to me. I'll take good care of it. :p

Been a craft beer fan since the 80's When there only a few out there. Fortunately I live just north o the craft beer Mecca known as San Diego county. Here in LA/Orange county there are a boatload of breweries opening up and they all have tasting rooms. Today for lunch I had an Arrogant Bastard Ale, Hangar 24 and a Yeti chocolate stout. Since I also had a couple shots of Bushmills I took my 42 passenger Limo(the bus) to and from lunch.

Originally posted by Tom Mccann:
Been a craft beer fan since the 80's When there only a few out there. Fortunately I live just north o the craft beer Mecca known as San Diego county. Here in LA/Orange county there are a boatload of breweries opening up and they all have tasting rooms. Today for lunch I had an Arrogant Bastard Ale, Hangar 24 and a Yeti chocolate stout. Since I also had a couple shots of Bushmills I took my 42 passenger Limo(the bus) to and from lunch.

Now that's MY kinda lunch. You guys are indeed in craft brew heaven out there. The west coast is LOADED.

Stopped by my local beer store and got a few growlers for the weekend. Up tonight is Jailhouse slammer wheat. An excellent summer wheat.

2011-07-15195139.jpg

Back