The All Encompassing Beer Thread

Yesterday was an exceptional day. I went to Capone's yesterday and enjoyed servings of Port Brewing's Mongo IPA, Bear Republic's Apex IPA, and Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA. I was even able to get a growler filled with Sculpin to bring home. A beautiful thing for certain.

I can't however, keep my mind from drifting back to the wonderful snifter of Cigar City's Table Saison that I had the other day. Wish I'd have taken a picture. It was such a glorious thing. One of my favorite beers ever.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GuyC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GuyC:
Russian River Pliny The Elder. I brew it, I drink it, I love it.
icon_smile.gif

Guy, do brew your own clone or the kit from B3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm one of the brewers at Russian River. I brew Pliny and most of the other RR beers at the pub and also at the production brewery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa. We have a Russian River brewer in the house? Fabulous. That's awesome. Brews great beer and grills. My man. You guys make fabulous beer. It's so incredibly difficult to get around here. Demand is through the roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No kidding, there's a fervor for Pliny (both elder and younger) in Denver whenever you guys ship it out here. Usually sells out in less than 24 hours
icon_mad.gif

As both of you live in Michigan, I urge you to familiarize yourself with both Founders, located in Grand Rapids...and Bell's, located in Kalamazoo. Easily two of the top microbreweries east of the Mississippi...and likely all of the country. Ryan seems to know of Bell's already. The Oberon is fabulous. If you get a chance, get your paws on some of Founder's KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout). It packs a wallop, but might be the most sublime liquid on God's green earth.

Founders is good but I prefer Bells stuff. It's nice being able to support a local brewery. I actually just polished off a mini keg of Oberon. The Two Hearted Ale is fantastic also.

I have tried to convert my brother in law over to a charcoal griller but he does not have the patience. Says the whole process takes too long. My reply was it gives you that much more time to drink beer.

Originally posted by GuyC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
Russian River Pliny The Elder. I brew it, I drink it, I love it.
icon_smile.gif

Guy, do brew your own clone or the kit from B3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm one of the brewers at Russian River. I brew Pliny and most of the other RR beers at the pub and also at the production brewery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are now my new best friend
icon_smile.gif
. Had one Pliny that a friend sent me. Not asking for any details but is the B3 kit at least in the ballpark recipe wise? May be the only way I'll get to drink something close to Pliny.

Thanks Hayden for your suggestions, and also to all of you guys. I have had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, it is very good. I have also tried Bells. I like the taste of a pilsner type of beer any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I love to try new beers, to me they are just as good as fine wines,which I enjoy also. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Marc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bear Republic's Apex IPA
Any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent. Truly. I'd had Sculpin already, and was going to be taking home a growler...so I decided to try some new stuff. The Apex caught me off guard. Perfectly hopped, and ridiculously smooth. Could have drank it all day. Highly recommend it.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by ryanburns:
Founders is good but I prefer Bells stuff. It's nice being able to support a local brewery. I actually just polished off a mini keg of Oberon. The Two Hearted Ale is fantastic also.

I have tried to convert my brother in law over to a charcoal griller but he does not have the patience. Says the whole process takes too long. My reply was it gives you that much more time to drink beer.

That's interesting to hear. Founders is so popular out here, when they were at Capone's during Philly Beer Week, there was a line at the door at 10:30 A.M. when they didn't open for another hour. 30 seconds after they DID open, the bar was packed, all the tables were seated, and it was standing room only. This was on a WEEKDAY. LOL That being said, I've had a decent amount of Bell's product, and it's nothing to sneeze at. I love it. I like where your head is at with the Oberon (sixtel?), and the Two Hearted Ale. Marvelous stuff, no doubt.

Out of the blue...anyone here familiar with the Beer Advocate website? Neat joint...that.

Originally posted by Regina S:
Thanks Hayden for your suggestions, and also to all of you guys. I have had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, it is very good. I have also tried Bells. I like the taste of a pilsner type of beer any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I love to try new beers, to me they are just as good as fine wines,which I enjoy also. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
icon_smile.gif

Pilsners are a bit outside my jurisdiction. I don't have much of a passion for them, so my exposure to them has been self limited. However, I had a fabulous pils made by the folks at Rogue. It twas a treat.

Just wanted to clarify Hayden,..What I am looking for is a lighter beer taste, rather than the heavier darker beers. But not light in terms of alcohol content!
icon_smile.gif
I appreciate any further suggestions.

Just wanted to clarify Hayden,..What I am looking for is a lighter beer taste, rather than the heavier darker beers. But not light in terms of alcohol content!
icon_smile.gif
I appreciate any further suggestions.

I gotcha. :p Usually, IPA's are one of the varieties that encompass the virtues of which you speak. Light in color, crisp, well hopped, and at times, quite strong. Perhaps Guy will chime in on this as well. I would recommend a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA for the light yet strong fair. It's 9% ABV. The 120 Minute IPA is 12% ABV, but is anything but light. Dogfish Head also makes a Squall IPA which is marvelous. It's a 90 minute IPA at 9%, and a personal favorite.

Thanks Hayden! Exactly what I needed to know!I will seek them out. I know Trader Joes here and a particular grocery store that stocks a very large selection of wonderful brews,I just didn't know which one to pick.Thanks again for your time.

Thanks Hayden! Exactly what I needed to know!I will seek them out. I know Trader Joes here and a particular grocery store that stocks a very large selection of wonderful brews,I just didn't know which one to pick.Thanks again for your time.

Well don't hesitate to talk to folks.
icon_smile.gif
You live in an area with some brilliant breweries. I'm sure you can find some Dogfish Head, but don't be afraid to ask your beer guy if he knows of a Bell's or Founders beer that is similar to one of the high ABV IPA's I mentioned. I'm all about supporting the local guys.
icon_smile.gif

I remember summers as a kid, the old timers liked their Miller ponies, glass bottles. So I'll get them on and off through the summer too now, love the taste in the glass bottle, chilled icy cold....otherwise I'm drinking Miller light or Natural light.

The only thing I remember about pony bottles is playing War in college with a deck of cards, and having to take a shot of Mickey's everytime you surrendered a card, and pounded a whole one when you actually lost a "war". And I'll be honest, I barely remember THAT. LOL

Not that we have TJ's around here but when in Minneapolis I stop in to pick up beer. There is one (maybe more) made by Firestone Walker but marketed under another name (can't remember it) but if you ask, they should know. The one in Minn. also carried several Lagunitas brand, which is an excellent brewery and great IPA.

Hey Brad.
icon_smile.gif
I LOVE Firestone Walker. I'm sitting on a couple bottles each of their Parabola, and Double Jack. I've also seen Lagunitas on the menu at Capone's, in a few varieties, but have yet to have any. It's on the list. Wonder if anyone on here is on Beer Advocate. I think some folks in here would make marvelous trading partners. :p

Further emptied the cellar stock this weekend. Time to stock back up. Down to 3 available to drink, and 10 or so that are still aging.

Regina,

You would like Mischief if you are looking for something lighter. At 8.5%, it’s not light on the alcohol though. I prefer to split the large bottles with some friends, so I can have more while still remembering the beer.

The Bruery’s Mischief
2011-07-18073102.jpg

http://thebruery.com/beers/YearRound/mischief.html

Terrapin’s Side Project #14, Tomfoolery
2011-07-18073225.jpg

http://terrapinbeer.com/brew/s...omfoolery-volume-14/

Also had a growler of New Belgium’s La Terroir. I am not a huge fan of sours, but giving them more of a chance lately. I am sure they will build on me. It’s like the extremely hoppy beers I drink now. I am sure 10 years ago when I started drinking different beers I would have had nothing to do with 100+ IBU beers.

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer...f9-a300-0a46e8ce5123

JS: That stuff you have by the Bruery, is next to impossible to find. As is their Black Tuesday & Chocolate Rain. I've been trying to appropriate bottles of each for forever.

Back