The All Encompassing Beer Thread

Originally posted by GuyC:
I thought there was private messaging on this site.

Asked Chris and there's not. I'll leave it up to you if you want to use email, mine is in my profile. Would love to get some additional insight, don't have a DIPA in my brewing arsenal.

This is how we roll.
Usually have an IPA on one tap and a light beer on the other.
Currently Drakes IPA and Fosters
DSC_9935.jpg

IMG_5849.jpg

Picked up another growler of Left Hand Polestar Pils on Wednesday, so last night finished it off while making some pizzas on the performer.

2011-07-28202314.jpg

After the pilsner, had a couple Terrapin Rye Pale Ales, which is my favorite American style Pale Ale.

DSC03119.jpg

Also picked up a couple bottles on Wednesday, hope to drink a couple of them this weekend.

Just got back from a beer run.

Drove from Philadelphia, PA...to Ithaca, NY for a case of Ithaca Brewing Co.'s Brute. 440 mi. round trip. :p Take THAT!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying an incredible offering from Bell's. Expedition Stout. Weighs in at 10.5% ABV...and you can scarcely detect any of it. This is an absolute must try for a stout lover. Next on this evening's list is either going to be Founders' Dirty Bastard, or a bomber of Labyrinth, by Uinta Brewing Co.

My first beer was a really cold Coors in the little 7 oz can when I was about 12. I have tried many beer and craft beer varieties. Still like Coors, and Spotted Cow is good too. When I was young I drove from Chicago to Kansas City in a 67 Pontiac LeMans and brought cases of Coors home. Back then it seemed like it was worth the trip.

My first beer was a Guiness. Loved beer ever since! Do a lot of home brewing now but also like to try all the different micro brews available. Here's a few of my favorites you folks all need to try if you get up to Canada...

King Heffy from Howe Sound Brewing. Probably my favorite beer, they call it an Imperial Hefeweizen which is apparently not a real style, regardless it is a wicked beer, weighs in around 8% and has great flavor and is really well balanced. Howe Sound has a lot of other excellent beers as well, all of the stouts they produce are nice.

Propeller IPA from Propeller brewing in Nova Scotia. This is a really good IPA, not like the regular Pacific Northwest IPA's. The hops are Warrior and Amarillo and it's just below 70 IBU'S.

Half Pints Brewing, they are out of Winnipeg. Probably my favorite brewery. Everything they make is good. They only have four beers in the regular rotation but they are all good, most notably they have a really nice IPA (called Little Scrapper) and the Coffee Stout (called stir stick) is probably the best stout I have ever tasted. They do a lot of extra releases at the brewery as well but they are typically just released in Winnipeg.

Phillips brewing on Vancouver Island makes a nice chocolate Porter but you really have to like chocolate to like this guy!

And I'll finish with my local brewery which is Tofino brewing company. You'd have to come here to try it since they don't bottle, they are only available in growlers, they have a really hoppy session ale and then one seasonal beer at all times. They've only been around for a few months but they had a great pacific northwest style IPA and now they have a really nice wheat beer.

I don't have access to as many US micro brews as all you folks but I have tried a number, my favorite is probably the Jamine IPA from Elysian, they make a great pumpkin ale as well. I'm also a big fan of Brooklyns Chocolate Stout and lager, everything from Dog Fish Head, and everything I've tried from Pretty Things Brewery.

Man you have to love craft beer!

Clark

Had 2 growlers of a Rogue I had never had before, Love & Hoppiness. It's a pilsner, but probably the only pilsner with that punch. Hop heads will love that for a lager.

Also picked up Sierra Ovila Saison and the Italian version of DFH My Antonia. Haven't got to them yet. I'd like to drink both Antonia's next to each other to see any differences.

There are so many amazing micros out there, it's impossible to keep up. I haven't seen anyone pay homage yet to arguably the best brewery in the heartland. Here's my tribute featuring mostly periodic and one-time releases (Tank 7 and Dark Truth are year rounders).

IMG_0820_66.jpg

Their Smokestack brews make me proud they're my home town brewery. Currently I'm burning through my stash of Two Jokers, Saison Brett and Collaboration No 2. Not shown in the photo, Double-Wide IPA is a staple.

I still have a few bottles of the first BBQ release resting in my cellar
icon_smile.gif

I can't wait for winter, so I can get a fresh batch of Founder's Breakfast Stout.

Swung by Tofino Brewing again today to pick up a couple growlers. They had a cask of the session ale set up that they added cumin, ginger, and thyme too. Very interesting, not prepared to say really good but glad they are experimenting! Keep the world of Micro's growing!

Clark

Wow. Now I can read about good beers while I’m learning about barbecuing and grilling. I’m pretty much a novice when it comes to craft brews, but I’m starting to pick up on the characteristics that I like. At the nearby Wegman’s supermarket, you can make your own six pack to sample different beers. From the descriptions on the labels and cartons, I made up a six-pack of the following:

Java Head Stout (7.5% ABV) – Troegs Brewing
Old Leg Humper (6.7%) – Thirsty Dog Brewing
American Amber Ale (5.6%) – Rogue Ales
2X IPA (8.2%) – Southern Tier Brewing
Torpedo Extra IPA (7.2%) – Sierra Nevada Brewing
Hazed and Infused (4.85%) – Boulder Beer

I’ve never cared much for beers with high alcohol content like Molson XXX, but I’m glad I wasn’t scared off by the ABV’s of the beers I selected. Even though some of them ran in the 7% and 8% range, the alcohol of these beers wasn’t that noticeable because of the great taste. The Java Head Stout, like its name suggests, tastes like coffee and chocolate. Old Leg Humper is a tasty chocolate porter. I selected the 2X IPA and Torpedo Extra IPA because I wanted to try some beers that promised extra hops and they were both great tasting. I picked the American Amber Ale because I’ve had Dead Guy Ale and Hazelnut Brown Nectar (a brown ale with hazelnut flavors that I really liked) from Rogue Ales and wanted to try another of their brews. It was excellent, too. I haven’t gotten to the Hazed and Infused yet, but I was 5 for 5 on my other selections

Randy

Randy,

I really liked the hazed and infused from Boulder, I think you will too.

Last couple nights been drinking a few of these from a new upstart brewery, Wild Heaven. They are in the process of building their brewery less than 1.5 miles from my house, which will easily be walked when the wife won't come get me!

I am not a huge fan of brown ales, but there are a few hopped up versions out there that I enjoy. This being top of the list.

DSC03151.jpg

Man...did I ever get some great beer in the mail today. Some awesome stuff from New York. Brown's Whiskey Barrel Aged Porter, Three Heads Brewing "The Kind" IPA, and a growler of Birra DeCicco - Limone Luppolo. Nice little haul.

Update: Day just got even better. Shortly after FedEx delivered the above, I got another box via UPS from another trade I made...containing a growler of Three Floyd's Zombie Dust, Three Floyd's Darklord, Deschutes Black Butte XXII, Deschutes The Abyss x2, Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout, and a bottle of Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S the Crusher.

Trading beer is so much fun.

That's one great day Hayden!

Did anyone else celebrate IPA day a couple days ago? I couldn't think of a better reason for a holiday so I did! Here's the beers for the night!

HPIM0952.jpg

Howe Sound Devils Elbow IPA, Tofino Brewing IPA, Central City Red Racer, Tree Brewing IPA, R and B IPA, Phillips Amnesia Double IPA, Cannery Brewing IPA, and finally Nelson brewing Paddywhack IPA.

And finally a couple of my beers, first our Basil IPA
HPIM0953.jpg

And finally my chinook IPA
HPIM0955.jpg

Clark

Originally posted by Tom Mccann:
I didn't know there was a IPA day. I guess that means I'll have double Arrogant Bastards today.

Not only was there an IPA Day, but the following day was international beer day!

Oh yeah... Hey Clark...that Red Racer is AWESOME stuff. An awesome Canadian IPA. LOVE the cans too. Beautiful retro artwork on 'em as well.

Tonight was fantastic. Had a couple limited release bottles from Ithaca. Brute...and LeBleu. Two sours.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
Not only was there an IPA Day, but the following day was international beer day!

Oh yeah... Hey Clark...that Red Racer is AWESOME stuff. An awesome Canadian IPA. LOVE the cans too. Beautiful retro artwork on 'em as well.

Yes it ws beer day after....what a great week!

The red racer is awesome, they make really nice beers and it's actually fairly cheap for beer up here. You'll have to try the paddy whack from Nelson, it is probably my favorite of the above. I can send to you if ya want.

Clark

Although Georgia has a great selection of craft brews at our local stores, we lag WAY behind in number of breweries. We have some great breweries here (Terrapin, Atlanta Brewing Company, Sweetwater, Jailhouse), we just need more of them. Well, that’s changing! Wild heaven has been contract brewing for about a year and plans to open up a brewery a mile from my house in January. There is another one out of Marietta in the works and these guys are just starting up as well (disregard the glass)

DSC03205.jpg

This is from a growler of Drafty Kilt by Monday Night Brewing.

http://mondaynightbrewing.com/brews/

Can’t wait to try some more from these guys.

While waiting for my 2 growlers (Also picked up a New Belgium Somersault) to be filled I walked around the craft store. This usually is a bad idea, and takes my tab from $20 to $50+ very quickly.

I stumbled upon a series from Mikkeller out of Belgium. They started out with a batch of beer and then dry hopped 18 different brews using 18 different hops, 1 per batch. The result is a good beer that has the strong flavors of each individual hop. Last night tried Simcoe & Cascade. At $5 / 12 oz bottle, not sure how often I will try the, but would like to taste a few more.

DSC03222.jpg

Anyone else had these ?

More beer talk, gentlemen. LOL This past week has been a faublous one. I got to try several more beers that I hadn't previously had the opportunity of enjoying. Three Floyds' Gumballhead, Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel's Peche Mortel (top 2 stout I've ever had), Two Brothers Brewing Resistance IPA, and D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer. Looking forward to this evening and tomorrow. I've got a couple bottles of Voodoo Under Eisbock (a limited release by Voodoo Brewing), as well as some Firestone Walker Parabola and Deschutes "The Abyss". Marvelous beer weekend.

I'm with you on the Dieu Du Ciel Peche Mortel, that is one wicked beer, if folks can get there hands on it they should, you won't be dissapointed!

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Mccann:
I didn't know there was a IPA day. I guess that means I'll have double Arrogant Bastards today.

Not only was there an IPA Day, but the following day was international beer day! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And the day after that was The Bistro's 14th annual IPA festival, which I regrettably couldn't attend this year.
icon_frown.gif
57 IPA's on tap.
icon_cool.gif
They also have a Double IPA fest.
Here's the winners for past IPA fests:

http://www.the-bistro.com/events.htm

Bell's Expedition is one of my all-time favorite Imperial Stouts. I also really like the Two-hearted for its hop flavor and easy drinkability.

Most Firestone Walker beers are excellent. Matt Brynildson is a great brewer and all-around nice guy. The TJ's stuff brewed by Firestone Walker is marketed under the Mission Street brand.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid.

Moylan's Hopsickle.

I like a lot of the Pizza Port stuff. Port's Wipeout IPA was one of my favorites a few years back. I still llike it, but it seems a little different these days. Pizza Port Frank, Hop 15, and Lou P. Lin are also pretty tasty.

Boulevard makes a great Saison.

Gotta throw a mention out there for Jolly Pumpkin sours.

Back