The All Encompassing Beer Thread

Originally posted by Mike Freel:
Last week I had a chance to try Samuel Adams new Alpine Spring and thought it was a nice spring summer beer. Unfortunately it is winter here so I will stay with the fuller bodied beers for a few months.

Mike

The Alpine Spring was pretty good, but I hope it doesn't mean that Noble Pils won't be coming this year!

At our local grocer last night - I'm on good terms with their beer/wine guy, and mentioned how I liked the New Glarus Barleywine.

He pointed to a stack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot "Barleywine-Style" that just came in yesterday. Chillin' in the fridge and going to pop one open when I get home 2-nite.

(It's been nutzo at work, and I sure could use a cold one!)

Cheers!

Enjoying a Burton Baton from Dogfishhead as I type. Imperial IPA aged in oak. I'm only getting very slight oak, but it's good. Strong hop presence (as it should be with an IPA) and light citrus notes.

Just realized that Hayden's original post that started this was about the great beer that Dogfishhead produces. I'm definitely a big fan and fortunate that there is a DFH pub only 20 minutes from home. And they just started selling growlers to go. :)

If you can get your hands on some of their brews, do it.

Originally posted by Jon Des.:
The Alpine Spring was pretty good, but I hope it doesn't mean that Noble Pils won't be coming this year!

I like the Alpine Spring a lot too! And I just started seeing Noble Pils show up around here, so it doesn't look like it was replaced.
icon_smile.gif

Did someone say " Dogfish head"? Had the Robert Johnson Hellhound on my ale. Sick beer, I read the label and saw "ale brewed with lemons" and expected something lighter, when I poured it and saw the color I read more carefully and found it was 10% ABV, dry hopped beer with centennial hops so its very hoppy like most of their stuff. Love this brewery, a must try.

photobucket-915-1332459233559.jpg

Eric

OK - time to bring this thread back down a few notches:

While in Alabama last week (vacation) - had my first taste of Yuengling. Gotta' say that for a good, basic, "every-day drinkable" brew it was pretty good. I would compare it with the "throwback" Schlitz.

Went-down great with some fresh-caught fish, Jambalaya, Blue Crab, and Hot Shucks! (We FEASTED on seafood while down there - some of which we caught ourselves.)

I like good beer - but sometimes, a more simple / elementary brew hits the spot.

Cheers!

This just arrived to Atlanta yesterday and I found me a 6 pack. They will also be 12 packs this year. Bell's Oberon is a wonderful light beer I could not do without in the heat.

IMAG0512.jpg

The past couple years I have been annoyed with breweries trying to get their seasonals out first. A summer in March? Well except right now since it has been in the 80s, I will take it.

Going to beer shop this weekend. I only drink one beer a week on Friday night when I get home from work. Don't know what I'll get - see a lot of good stuff here. Just see what I'm in the mood for when I shop.

I am really hoping to find Oberon in cans this summer. I love that beer!

Also, Sam Adams is apparently doing a shandy-type beer this summer. I'll probably try that, since I enjoy the Leinie's Shandy when it gets hot out.

I agree that the seasonals are coming a little early, but it's been so nice and warm, it's hard to complain too much.
icon_wink.gif

Leinenkugel has a new entry in its "Big Eddy" premium line: "Wee Heavy Scotch Ale". Pretty decent but it's not cheap at $11/4-pack, and the ABV is 9.5%. I rather pay $9 for a 6-pack of Lake Louie's Scotch ale.

I just tried a new (for me) beer from my favorite, Milwaukee Brewing Co. It was very, very good. Called "Admiral" Stache Baltic Porter. 'One month of aging in Bourbon Barrels contributes a layer of vanilla and oak.'

Great flavor and the bourbon aging definitly brings a new level of flavor. I highly suggest trying it if you can get it.

I have taken a full 360 from my "norm" lately. I had a few sours this past weekend Cantillon 100% Gueuze and Duchesse du Bourgogne. Both are amazing treats for your palate. Surprisingly addictive I might add, and I fully believe - they are the new IPA.. Just sayin
icon_wink.gif
hehe..

That and some belgian's from Ommegang in NY.

I recently had a new beer called "Shock Top". It is a Belgian Wheat beer with citrus flavors and a bit of coriander.Excellent!
Ray

Originally posted by Jeremy Calow:
I have taken a full 360 from my "norm" lately.

I actually drank something over the weekend that I haven't had in years; maybe a decade - a Bud product. A bunch of neighbors were all doing yard work, it was in the mid 80s and feeling pretty warm. After a couple of us helped my neighbor unload a trailer full of mulch, he brought out some Bud Light Limes. As far as beer quality goes, I wasn't impressed. But it was crisp and refreshing and I enjoyed it. Pleasantly surprised. I'd still prefer a Corona with a real slice of lime, but the BL Lime was not bad at all.

It's the time of year when St Arnold releases Summer Pils. Man I love that stuff. I still have 10 lbs to lose, so I am going to have to wait a bit on it.

Back