Tea Smoked Duck Tacos with Hoisin BBQ Sauce

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I love duck, but don't get to eat it often. You don't see it in a ton of restaurants, and most 'regular' grocery stores don't carry it. Well, over the holidays, I found whole fresh ducks at my local Giant. They were in a 'solution', but I'll take what I can get. I grabbed one and threw it in the freezer for another day. I got my WSM back in 2008 and since then, have wanted to smoke a duck. Finally got my chance today.

This is a recipe from Mr. Raichlen. The rub consists of sugar, S&P, five spice, coriander and cinnamon. Prior to rubbing, a light coat of sesame oil goes onto the duck. The sauce is Hoisin, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, sesame oil, fresh ginger and cilantro.

Here's the duck, just out of the package. I was surprised how 'flat' it was before trussing.

IMG_5151_zpsgoppfutu.jpg

All trussed up and looking a little better:

IMG_5152_zpsijoyiibp.jpg

Rubbed down and ready for action:

IMG_5154_zps5kjl7r2k.jpg

The smoke mixture consisted of white rice, brown sugar, black tea, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cherry wood, and orange or tangerine peel (I used tangelo). The smell even before going on the charcoal was just intoxicating.

IMG_5156_zps8lgzyyct.jpg

Here she is on the smoker:

IMG_5157_zpspq1qiyax.jpg

After about two hours, a quick brush with some sesame oil and a little more time on the WSM and we're eating.

IMG_5160_zpscu7dr5cp.jpg

Off for a brief rest:

IMG_5162_zpscojihken.jpg

Carving it up, it was fork tender and incredibly juicy.

IMG_5165_zpsbvvdjb4i.jpg

Plated up some tacos with cilantro, scallions, carrots, cuke, and the Hoisin BBQ sauce. It was delicious. Best part was both kids tried the duck and both really liked it. I figured I'd be the only one eating it, but I'm happy to say I was wrong. Wife won't go near it, so I grilled up some BSB as well.

IMG_5168_zpsojhmrlgf.jpg

Hope you had a great weekend!

Wow Jim I've seen tacos cooked hundreds of ways but that is a first. Looks delicious! I'm curious if the flavor was like chicken or its own unique profile? Anyway great creativity! And the plated pic looks fantastic!! The hoisin is the perfect touch. Great cook!

Excellent post Jim, Never had store bought duck before but that wouldn't stop me from eating it...Where surrounded by duck clubs over here

Duck has a taste alot like dark meat of chicken or turkey only a bit sweeter if I remember correctly it has been a while for me.
A high fat content so slow cooking works well for them .
I also love the look of those tacos, I bet that sauce was great.

OK!
Looks fabulous to me, the sad part is I don't know that I could sell it to my wife. I love her dearly but, she is not an adventurous eater. Chicken wings, any day, most any way! Duck, I might have to do while I'm visiting with my sisters next week. I will get a bit of a lamb "fix" then too!
Did you make some sort of "packet" for the tea components or, just put them on directly?

Last edited:
That looks just lovely, Jim! I have never cooked duck, and only rarely have eaten it. This looks like a good way to give it a go. Thanks for the great documentation, I'll bookmark this one.

Rich

Jim, this is one of the loveliest posts I've seen during my time on this forum! Bravo! Man, I'd even eat the smoke mixture and come away a happy man.:) Absolutely gorgeous color on the duck and your plate shot is stunning. Outstanding.

Last edited:
That looks great, fabulous recipe. My only experience with duck was when we hunted them when I was growing up in the Chicago area. But wild duck was a little gamey. I would think that domestic duck is milder in flavor.

Did you make some sort of "packet" for the tea components or, just put them on directly?

Just throw it on. Raichlen has you putting half on at the start, then the rest around halfway through.

Thanks for all the nice comments all. Can't take much credit - just another example of how I'm able to sometimes follow direction. :p

If anyone wants more detail, here are the recipe, and a video from Steven Raichlen:

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/tea-smoked-duck-with-hoisin-barbecue-sauce/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho7rUFt-fuY

Hey Jim, I gotta agree with Cliff here, your posting of this great duck roast is Excellent!
And, yes, I also love duck but rarely get to eat it, yet cook it.

Sensational colour on the finished duck and those succulent sliced pieces almost beg you to reach into the screen to snatch some up!

Wow Jim - that is a creative cultural fusion. I never would have thought to smoke with rice and tea. This sounds really interesting. Great cook...

Regards,

John

Back