Stupid hurts or maybe one of your finest memories?

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
This was a number of years ago... wifey was talking about it: I had smoked some country style ribs & after dinner I threw the contents of the water pan out on the lawn (why, I dunno). Our black lab rolled in it & was in 7th heaven. She came into the house & shook herself dry in the living room.

Nice...I get the house smelled like bbq for weeks!! I have almost done that a couple times...my favorite was making pig candy for Christmas Eve one year..my wife was so looking forward to this..my dumb *** misread the recipe and instead of using a 1/4 tablespoon cayenne I used a quarter cup!! Let's just say it was not my best project! I also once got some hot chili powder mixed up with smoked paprika when making a bbq rub for a 10 lb Briskey..yep it was hot too..but made the best chilli ever!!

One night after a few drinks I decided to make a spice rub for some long beef ribs I was smoking the next day. I grabbed chipotle chilli powder out of the cupboard thinking it was the same as chilli powder. The next day I was confused as to why the ribs were so damn hot and realized my mistake. An internet search informed me that you cut the amount by 75% when using chipotle vs regular chilli powder. Oops.

A few years ago.Pammi was watching something on TV and they made a chipotle mashed potato. Now she loves mashed taters,and was looking for a way to spice them up instead of the same old same old. The recipe called for a TSP of chipotle in adobo sauce. Not thinking that was enough,she dumped the whole can in! It was very tasty,but way too hot to eat! Needless to say,that was the last chipotle mashed she made!
Another time,I was making a Steven Raichlen rub to go on a butt. The recipe called for cayenne and ancho chili powder. Instead of using a level teaspoon,I just left it VERY rounded. Once again,very hot and Pammi couldn't eat it!
Yeah,we don't mind a little spice,but went way overboard on those two occasions!

A long time ago I wanted to cook ribs. . . I used way to much cherry wood, and used it the whole time I cooked. Yep the ribs all tasted like boiled pine tree sap. The garbage ate well that night.

Thats better than what my lab rolls in. Bunny droppings make him so proud and happy! Til I get the hose out...
This was a number of years ago... wifey was talking about it: I had smoked some country style ribs & after dinner I threw the contents of the water pan out on the lawn (why, I dunno). Our black lab rolled in it & was in 7th heaven. She came into the house & shook herself dry in the living room.

28 hour pulled beef chuck cook in -40ºF weather. I used water in the pan. Stupid but also the 'eureka' cook for me. If having trouble getting to desired temp don't use water in the WSM.

Thats better than what my lab rolls in. Bunny droppings make him so proud and happy! Til I get the hose out...

You could mix the rabbit pellets with the contents of the water pan from a pork butt smoke and give fido a special treat! :)

Back in the days before I got my first Weber it seemed like I was replacing my gas grill every 2 or 3 years. The one I had was getting long in the tooth but I figured it would go another season. We had company coming over to eat and I had just finished prepping a couple of chickens. The company arrived and I went out to heat up the grill and as I opened the lid the entire bottom of the grill fell out!!!!!!!!! My wife said that I looked like someone had just shot me.:mad:

A quick trip to Home Depot yielded the Weber gasser I still have and kinda saved the day.

Mike;
Money can often solve a problem:eek:. Sounds like you made a good decision while under fire...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I was smoking some ribs and chicken for a small hood get-together, and a neighbor Emily said she would make 15 bean soup.
Everything was going great beers are flowing, people laughing and having a good time.

Emily said the beans are done but there is a little problem, she says she peals a potato or two and puts them in the 15 bean soup
to to reduce the gasses the beans put off.

She took the potatoes out of the crockpot and put them on plate and went outside to chat with the girls.
When she came back to the kitchen the potatoes were gone.

Later we found out Bob ate both potatoes since he was hungry and said they were very good, his wife got a whiff of this and said your not sleeping with me tonight.

I left a pan of bacon on my grill unattended with the lid closed. I came back to a grease fire and bacon dust.

I also brought 2 racks of ribs out for an afternoon smoke and left them on the side table instead of putting them in the WSM to take a call. I came back 3 hours later to see them covered in flies still on the table. Smoker held a steady temp though.

Finally, I stepped on a hot coal with my runners and tracked it through my carpeted living room leaving what look like cigarette burns every 2 feet.

That's just top of my head :)

Years ago, I cut up some jalapenos for ABTs, washed my hands and took a leak. I quickly learned you have to wash your hands 3-4 times before handling your......well, you know. The poor little thing looked like a short stack of thin nickles and I jumped into the shower screaming.

Wife thought it was funny.

Years ago, I cut up some jalapenos for ABTs, washed my hands and took a leak. I quickly learned you have to wash your hands 3-4 times before handling your......well, you know. The poor little thing looked like a short stack of thin nickles and I jumped into the shower screaming.

I had the same problem once. Now I use plastic server gloves to cut and handle my peppers. That's one thing you only do once.

One of our pitmaster friends was tasked with presenting a how-to session involving BBQ'd beans for a recent CBBQA BBQ class. He normally has a fair selection of briskets in the freezer, both SRF Wagyu for competition and lesser ones for everything else. He grabbed a brisket and headed to the class. Once on-site, he noticed his 'slight' error. I must admit... BBQ'd Beans with Wagyu brisket is absolutely DELICIOUS ;)

Quote Originally Posted by James Harvey:

"Finally, I stepped on a hot coal with my runners and tracked it through my carpeted living room leaving what look like cigarette burns every 2 feet."

Wow... that had to hurt. WIN/Lose!!! (so far, imho) ;)

Last edited:
Several times when pouring coal from chimney into the grill, I've unknowingly stepped on small pieces of coal. In my bare feet. You'd think I'd learn...

I had been chopping chillies, for a marinade, just before SWMBO arrived back home from work, feeling...ahem...."amorous" shall we say.
Needless to say she ran/jumped/flew into the shower barely 10 minutes after walking through the door.

I did laugh!

In the last several months I have been growing progressively hotter peppers and I'm now up to Trinidad Butch T Scorpions. Got a nice crop too. Thought I would mince one up to add to my 'Burn you out, Cure what ails ya' chili. I even wore gloves while mincing. But of course after mincing I took them off and used a scraper to pick up the minced peppers and push it into the crock pot. Then, without even thinking about it I rubbed my eye. That was unbelievably stupid and painful. I thought my eye was going to explode.

So what do I do? I start growing Carolina Reapers!

Russ

Back