Still can't get my brisket jiggly

Peter, I believe you are on the right track in getting your perfect brisket. I would make sure you find a brisket with nice marbling. Sometimes you can find a non-graded or select brisket with decent marbling. Be picky and look for one with a flat that is 1+ inch thick flat on the tail end. Trim the hard fat off and try to leave around 1/4inch of fat on the bottom. Season both sides moderately. Cook fat side down, 275*, water is optional.. I tend to prefer it lately. After 3 hours, you may want to spritz with some watered down Worcestershire sauce - 50/50. Around the 4-5 hour mark, if the brisket has that right color and the bark has set (doesn't flake off) wrap it up in paper, I like using one layer across the top. If you got a meat probe in the brisket, start probing when it hits 195* IT. I like using a wooden skewer and poke right on top through the paper, right where the flat meets the point. If it's not ready give it another 30-45 min. til it probes tender.. very little resistance. Pull and let it vent for about 15-20min to stop the cooking. Put in cooler still wrapped in paper and put a layer of foil on top, or folded towel on top if you know you got to hold it longer than 4 hours. Burp the cooler every now and then, because you want that brisket IT to come down. A nice long rest is ideal IMO. Shoot for 4+ hours hold time.. it will be fine if not better. Forgot to mention, that I like to rest fat cap up. Maybe.. just maybe the fat in the middle/bottom of the brisket will work it's way down to the leaner portion of the brisket... who knows?

Last edited:
I cook 225 to 250 and get a hell of crust. I like fat side up just because I don't like the grate putting marks in the fat. I like it unwrapped although I did wrap my last brisket and still got a good crust by just wrapping later in the cook. It was around 172. My only problem is a slightly dry flat but its dry in the way that chicken breast is dry or turkey even if perfectly cooked. I think smoke ring is probably all humidity. Even though we are in a drought here, I must be a rain god because it likes to rain when I cook. Last cook it didn't rain though....

I don't understand what hot and fast is supposed to do. You wanna keep those muscle fibers relaxed! 275 I can live with. If it doesnt take 16 hours it ain't right. Some of it is the love you put into it!

Really most of this is probably voodoo. Meaning we all have our methods that for whatever reason work for us, and probably won't for anyone else, or worked really well that one time and it becomes superstition.

I think injection is evil and mistust foil! But I'll try anything.

There's an article on the Texas Monthly BBQ site where Daniel Vaughn interviews the pitmaster of Martin's Place in Bryan, Tx that has been open since 1925. The guy talks about barometric pressure having effects on the draw of the smokers! So who knows. What makes brisket so fun is that it. is a tough nut to crack. Pork is awesome too but not nearly such a pain to master.

Peter, I believe you are on the right track in getting your perfect brisket. I would make sure you find a brisket with nice marbling. Sometimes you can find a non-graded or select brisket with decent marbling. Be picky and look for one with a flat that is 1+ inch thick flat on the tail end.

You're so lucky in that regard, John. Sadly, as I've said before, up here in the People's Republik of New Jersey, finding an affordable brisket of *any* grade is extremely difficult if you don't have a Restaurant Depot membership card. Even there (well, at least in the one near me), they don't open a new case until there are only 1 or 2 left from the old case. I've never had more than about a half-dozen to choose from in Angus-Choice and another half-dozen or so regular choice. If I want to pay double, and have zero say in what's sold to me, I can go to a local butcher. Unless you run an actual brick-and-mortar restaurant, you can't buy from the wholesalers here. Period. Costco, BJs and Sam's Club do not sell packer cut briskets in north Jersey. You're lucky to get Boston butts at the ones near me. Remember, the word "barbecue" up here means hamburgers, hot dogs and MAYBE ribs. So being picky for me means finding one of the size that's big enough for a party or small enough for just my wife and me (and a couple of meals of leftovers), and hoping the fat cap is even. I usually look for a thick flat, but I don't recall the last time I was able to buy one when I was out shopping.

The only other choice we have is Western Beef, with one outlet on this side of the Hudson in a somewhat scary area. When I went there before getting my RD card, they had 3 or 4 packers that day, all Select grade, and the one I ended up buying was sliced to hell in the packing process and had almost no fat cap at all. That one was a disaster, needless to say. Even injected, only the point and point/flat junction were edible.

Trim the hard fat off and try to leave around 1/4inch of fat on the bottom. Season both sides moderately. Cook fat side down, 275*, water is optional.. I tend to prefer it lately. After 3 hours, you may want to spritz with some watered down Worcestershire sauce - 50/50. Around the 4-5 hour mark, if the brisket has that right color and the bark has set (doesn't flake off) wrap it up in paper, I like using one layer across the top. If you got a meat probe in the brisket, start probing when it hits 195* IT. I like using a wooden skewer and poke right on top through the paper, right where the flat meets the point. If it's not ready give it another 30-45 min. til it probes tender.. very little resistance. Pull and let it vent for about 15-20min to stop the cooking. Put in cooler still wrapped in paper and put a layer of foil on top, or folded towel on top if you know you got to hold it longer than 4 hours. Burp the cooler every now and then, because you want that brisket IT to come down. A nice long rest is ideal IMO. Shoot for 4+ hours hold time.. it will be fine if not better. Forgot to mention, that I like to rest fat cap up. Maybe.. just maybe the fat in the middle/bottom of the brisket will work it's way down to the leaner portion of the brisket... who knows?

I do a good portion of that process now, though I've never spritzed and I usually hold for about 2 hours, not 4 (hungry guests, hungry wife, hungry me!). My usual cook temp is 225-240ish, but the more I read, the more I think I'm going to play in the 250-275 region. Any hotter/faster and I think the bark will probably suffer.

Again, if I can get the results I'm after without foiling or paper, great. If I can get them with paper but not foil, that's great too. Foil is really the last route I want to use since my few attempts with foil have resulted in almost no bark (this is a BadThing™ in wife-land, and I don't like it either, truthfully). You're absolutely right about needing a fat cap on there, resting in the open after cooking and storing in a cooler to loosen things up. I do all of these and it helps a lot, that's for sure!

Funny thing, the other day, I was letting it rest on my work table outside after taking it off the grill. I went inside for about 5 minutes to get a cold drink. When I came back out, a local kitty was on the table starting to nibble at it. I cut a small piece off and left it for her when I went inside. I think one taste of that black pepper bark and she went zooming off for parts unknown.

Last edited:
I cook 225 to 250 and get a hell of crust. I like fat side up just because I don't like the grate putting marks in the fat. I like it unwrapped although I did wrap my last brisket and still got a good crust by just wrapping later in the cook. It was around 172. My only problem is a slightly dry flat but its dry in the way that chicken breast is dry or turkey even if perfectly cooked.

If I had to describe my last brisket cook, that would be a good way. It was cooked as well as it could be in terms of tenderness, safety and pull-apart-ability, but it was just dry; lacking in jiggly juiciness.

If it doesnt take 16 hours it ain't right. Some of it is the love you put into it!
I love long, slow cooks, that's for sure. Plenty of time to make a slight correction if things start going pear-shaped. That's why hot-and-fast worries me a little, in addition to the no-bark thing and a very very small window of done-ness. If I could find the right magical joo-joo to make it all work, I'd be a happy little (???) pitmaster.

I think injection is evil and mistust foil! But I'll try anything.
I've injected a dozen times or so, and found it helped out a little. Fab-B-lite was the inject of choice; now I bought some Butcher's for my next party brisket. For regular small cooks I never inject, though. Maybe I should start again?

Peter

I am by no means an expert but one thing I learned on my last brisket cook was the importance of keeping the temperature of the cooker very steady. I fought off the urge to fiddle with the vents on my WSM and let the cooker do its thing. The brisket was probe tender and had the "jello like jiggle". I failed several times prior to this. Keep on trying, you will get it.

I t have very good temp stability for long cooks as I'm using a Stoker system. For whatever reason, it always seems to go crazy an hour or so before dawn, but before and after it's rock solid. In the past, I've been holding at 225 or 240°. Rarely higher, unless I got a short-term spike or unless I was doing a hot-and-fast.

OK, a followup from all the replies here back in July.

I had a good party of about 25 guests over last weekend, and I did two butts and a 15 pound packer. Butts on the bottom grate, brisket on the top, draped over foiled bricks to fit on the 18" WSM. Despite some Stoker problems, I held about 250°F at the grate from 1am until 8:30am. At that time the brisket was well into the stall and had a thick black and perfect bark.

I put it in a heavy duty foil roasting pan along with a cup of beef broth, covered it over and let it go for two hours, remaining at 250°. After 2 hours (10:30am) I peeled back the top foil piece and probed the flat and point. The flat was still a bit stiff at 205°F, but the point and flat/point junction were perfect. I let 'er rest on the counter for about 20 minutes, then covered it back up and placed it in a 170° oven (still wrapped up in the roasting pan covered with foil) for four (!!!) hours. Around 2:30pm I unwrapped and the whole thing was glistening, jiggly and utterly perfect in every way.

It sliced easily, had a smoke ring to die for, passed the pull test with flying colours and was inhaled by my guests in under 15 minutes. I saved about 8 oz of point for me and my wife and was rewarded with BrisketyPerfection™, better than anything I've eaten in TX and about 80% of what I've had at Hill Country in NYC, which is my benchmark. I didn't take too many pics, but here's one of the point after slicing. I put it in a serving pan and not a single scrap was left in there within 2 minutes of that photo being taken. So yes, jiggly happened!

MeatapaloozaBrisket2014.jpg

OK, a followup from all the replies here back in July.

I had a good party of about 25 guests over last weekend, and I did two butts and a 15 pound packer. Butts on the bottom grate, brisket on the top, draped over foiled bricks to fit on the 18" WSM. Despite some Stoker problems, I held about 250°F at the grate from 1am until 8:30am. At that time the brisket was well into the stall and had a thick black and perfect bark.

I put it in a heavy duty foil roasting pan along with a cup of beef broth, covered it over and let it go for two hours, remaining at 250°. After 2 hours (10:30am) I peeled back the top foil piece and probed the flat and point. The flat was still a bit stiff at 205°F, but the point and flat/point junction were perfect. I let 'er rest on the counter for about 20 minutes, then covered it back up and placed it in a 170° oven (still wrapped up in the roasting pan covered with foil) for four (!!!) hours. Around 2:30pm I unwrapped and the whole thing was glistening, jiggly and utterly perfect in every way.

It sliced easily, had a smoke ring to die for, passed the pull test with flying colours and was inhaled by my guests in under 15 minutes. I saved about 8 oz of point for me and my wife and was rewarded with BrisketyPerfection™, better than anything I've eaten in TX and about 80% of what I've had at Hill Country in NYC, which is my benchmark. I didn't take too many pics, but here's one of the point after slicing. I put it in a serving pan and not a single scrap was left in there within 2 minutes of that photo being taken. So yes, jiggly happened!

MeatapaloozaBrisket2014.jpg

Nice job.!!!!!!

BTW, this time I changed up a couple of things. First was an injection. I used Butcher's brisket injection as directed. The second was instead of using canola oil to coat the meat pre-cook I went back to a mustard slather. While spices are in fact oil-soluble, I couldn't really get any kind of appreciable smoke ring with it. Going back to mustard seemed to do the trick.

BTW, this time I changed up a couple of things. First was an injection. I used Butcher's brisket injection as directed. The second was instead of using canola oil to coat the meat pre-cook I went back to a mustard slather. While spices are in fact oil-soluble, I couldn't really get any kind of appreciable smoke ring with it. Going back to mustard seemed to do the trick.

Nice job Pete! A long rest does a brisket good. As you know Aaron Franklin holds his briskets for quite a while.

Well hell...glad it all worked out. I read almost this entire thread. I think I skipped ahead around page 4 or 5. Lots of opinions. I'm going in for my first brisket on Friday.

Still going through my internal debate on the route to take...but what else is new.

Great job on your cook. It looks great.

Thanks, Ryan. Yes, there are many different opinions and processes; I can only state with any confidence that the foil pan and beef broth, plus the 4 hour rest, were the things I changed up from my usual process that resulted in JigglyGoodness™. Whether it was just one of them or all of them combined, I have no clue.

I would still rather be able to do this without foiling/wrapping but I just don't think I can do it on my WSM that way.

PeterD thanks for the thread, I've been unsatisfied with my brisket and at $50/pop practicing isn't taken as lightly as it used to be. But you've inspired me to go buy a CAB packer at Restaurant Depot and I'll be cooking it soon.

Did you like the flavor of the Butchers injection? I've been trying to use it for competitions for a couple years but I don't really want to feed all those phosphates and (?) to my family, so I haven't really formed a strong opinion of the flavor yet.

You could just use beef broth with natural seasonings if you wanted; I didn't notice any bad flavours from it and the end product was super tender. Not just that but how often would you be serving it? 6 ounces (volume) of injection in a 15 pound brisket, spread out over how many diners, for how many meals per year?

Did you like the flavor of the Butchers injection? I've been trying to use it for competitions for a couple years but I don't really want to feed all those phosphates and (?) to my family, so I haven't really formed a strong opinion of the flavor yet.

"Ingredients:hydrolyzed vegetable protein (hydrolyzed soy and corn protein and salt, with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil [cottonseed, soybean] added),beef,beef stock,monosodium glutamate, sodium phosphate, and xanthin gum."

Honestly - why not make your own beef stock with leftover bones etc. with some sea salt and avoid all that crap?

My grocer sells some bones for beef stock. I love making my own chicken stock. I like the idea of injecting with drippings from the last cook if I was going to inject. Personally I don't see it as necessary for anything other than competitions. I think the idea is that the MSG is a flavor enhancer and the sodium phosphate maybe a tenderizer?

In my mind you got beef there and beef tastes damn good. Beef loves salt and pepper. I don't think it needs much more. However, that's for me and I don't care what anyone else does.

It's all about what makes YOU happy.

Honestly - why not make your own beef stock with leftover bones etc. with some sea salt and avoid all that crap?
Because neither beef stock nor beef broth provide certain properties that commercial injections such as Butchers do.
We are talking about moisture (the H2O type) retention, gelatin retention as well as unami boosting properties.

When the Mayo CLinic and the FDA come out against MSG and sodium phosphate respectively, I don't care what sort of "umami" those chemicals deliver. If that is what it takes to win a BBQ comp well that is one thing but I ain't feeding it to my family. The mark of a good cook is to do the extraordinary without all that drug crap. Just ask Lance Armstrong. ;)

Back