Steak frites

Clay Neubauer

TVWBB Pro
Just about to hit the point here where a lot of stuff can come straight from the plant to the table.

FlareBoxes.jpg

But we've got some potted herbs that I've been too busy to do anything with and needed a cook to trim a few of them back.

Herbs.jpg

Made some chimichurri with the contents of the above container.

Chimichurri.jpg

Starting a base for some bernaise sauce.

Onion.jpg

Megan made some homemade creme de mure for blackberry brambles recently because it's not something you can find around here, pretty excellent stuff.

Bramble.jpg

Good swimming day too.

Swimmers.jpg

Did a sirloin with salt, pepper, and a little of the chimichurri to marinate, took off at medium rare. But I do err toward the side where there is no capital M on medium rare...

Sirloin.jpg

Plated pic. Got too busy to photograph some other steps, but I was kinda disappointed about one component of this. Found a recipe for "foolproof" bernaise or hollandaise where you add hot butter over an immersion blender instead of whisking the ingredients in a double boiler. Might try it that way one more time to see if I screwed something up and it was a fluke, but was definitely not satisfied with the texture of that sauce. Everybody said it smelled and tasted good, though.

Plated.jpg

Straight outta the Food Network kitchen! Looks delicious. I also like mine medium rare - capital M optional. ;)

Gorgeous plate, Clay! What didn't you like about the béarnaise texture? Did it break a little bit? If the recipe's online could you please post a link - I'll bet my daughter would be interested in giving it a try. Thanks!

I'm guessing that if you have any pens the runoff goes nowhere near the pond...;)

Gorgeous plate, Clay! What didn't you like about the béarnaise texture? Did it break a little bit? If the recipe's online could you please post a link - I'll bet my daughter would be interested in giving it a try. Thanks!

I'm guessing that if you have any pens the runoff goes nowhere near the pond...;)

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/foolproof-bearnaise-sauce-recipe.html

Brad, yes it broke some. And I may give it another try when I don't have several other things going on at once and can pay more attention- just don't think it was quite so foolproof as advertised lol.

Actually, this has been a stock pond since it was built in the 1960s, used to be a fenced-in cow pasture and there was a feedlot about a quarter mile uphill at the silo to the left in this photo. That equipment and fencing was so shot after 30+ years of cattle that we decided not to spend tons of money and effort to replace things and make this a mostly recreational spot instead. When we first put the cabin here in 2011-2012, the moss and crap on the pond from all that runoff sediment was pretty ugly. It's way better now, but it's taken a lot of work to clean up 8 acres of water and maintain it well enough for fishing and swimming.

Cabinpanorama_1.JPG

I looked at that first picture, @Clay Neubauer and immediately thought "That's gotta be Iowa!" Love it! :love:

Good looking pond! If you were closer to DSM I'd have to ask you if I could get a line wet. ;)

I looked at that first picture, @Clay Neubauer and immediately thought "That's gotta be Iowa!" Love it! :love:

Good looking pond! If you were closer to DSM I'd have to ask you if I could get a line wet. ;)

Two hours might be a bit much to drive for a pond that's mostly bass and bluegill, but you'd sure be welcome lol. Plenty of fishing gear, firearms, kayaks, firewood, life jackets, Weber machinery, a few bunks, and plenty of fridge space for chow and refreshments.

Back