Steak crust without “Sharpie” grill lines

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I am still learning about different goals for cooking steaks. In personally have always liked crosshatch grill marks (and judging by many steak photos and winners of contests I am not alone). I guess that is one reason I have enjoyed using the controversial GrillGrates - though not exclusively.

However, I have been trying to widen my horizons. Here are a couple pictures of steaks that do look good to me:

F170C83E-52E8-4BF4-B84E-E19D779C426D.jpeg

6421DFF0-87A6-40F5-9635-87B749831A5F.jpeg

So what do you all think? Are these better or are crosshatch steaks?

7C0D67D8-F1F9-45AA-A239-FE7EB9394027.jpeg

I like Chef Adam Perry Lang’s approach.

Attachments

• 9C03CD30-3133-49B3-B062-8D14CB12C4F6.jpeg
    9C03CD30-3133-49B3-B062-8D14CB12C4F6.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 22
Yeah, Jon, that's like choosing between a silver '63 split window Corvette and a red one. :)

If I'm on the grill, I usually do the crosshatch. If I'm inside, it's the all-over sear in the CI skillet (windows open, stove hood on, and a zip lock bag over the smoke detector!) I don't have a preference, love 'em both!

Rich

I prefer the char, visually and also taste. The grill marks are ok, but those thick lines from the cast iron grates turn me off for some reason. Jumbo Joe is my go to steak cooker, it does the char amazing. Fill it with lump and let everything go wide open.

I always cook steaks outside on the grill. The grill has a stainless steel grate, so I get the traditional grill marks. I'm happy. 🙂

For the last couple of years I've been doing our steaks and burgers in a cast iron pan. I get a perfect complete sear with a delicious crust.

I use this method:

How to Cook A Restaurant Quality Steak at Home in 15 Minutes

Ingredients

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1(6-8 oz) boneless steak, preferably ribeye or New York strip
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. Unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, peeled and slightly smashed
1sprig fresh thyme

Directions
Pat steak dry on both sides and season aggressively with salt and pepper, using at least ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt per side.
In a cast-iron skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Lay steak in, and lower the heat to medium. Cook, undisturbed, until a deep golden brown crust forms on the bottom, about 2 minutes. (You can lift the edge of the steak to check the color if needed.)

Flip the steak and immediately add butter to the side of the skillet nearest you. Add garlic and thyme to the skillet on the far side. Grasping the handle with an oven mitt, tilt the skillet toward you on a 30-degree angle and spoon the melting butter over the garlic and thyme, and over the steak. Continue to baste the steak with the butter until the steak is glistening and the internal temperature reaches 125° (for medium-rare). Transfer to a plate and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

To get an overall crust without using a CI pan or such can be a touch tricky but once mastered is a talent. First and foremost. High quality steak is required. Second no whimpy thin steaks. I cut my steaks to 1.5" to 2". Anything less go with your CI pan. Next is seasoning. None of this "brining" the meat. Steak needs to be very dry, (wipe down well with towel), light coat of oil (optional). Generous coat of coarse salt (kosher or sea no matter), and pepper to taste. Note because I refuse to use crazy high heat pepper does not burn and cause that bitter taste.
If I am cooking on the Genesis. I get it ripping hot and stabile (stability is important). Then I leave the lid down, turn the middle burner to low (sometimes even off), front and rear burners to medium. While grill is stabilizing with these settings I go back in house and prep my steak(s). (Dry, oil, season). Then right to the grill where they go in the center. Lid goes back down immediately. Let them cook in there a few, then I flip, close lid, cook a bit, flip again. I flip them a lot. Always rotating them as well to make sure no hot/cool spots and crust develops evenly. I pull strips at 125 or so, I pull ribeyes closer to 135. Ribeye is closer to the chuck and has more fat and connective tissue so a slightly more done temp is beneficial IMO. Anyway I get nice steaks every time, no flare ups and plenty of time to enjoy my cocktail while cooking
Also FWIW on that Vette? I'd like red please. Not a silver fan
:D

To get an overall crust without using a CI pan or such can be a touch tricky but once mastered is a talent. First and foremost. High quality steak is required. Second no whimpy thin steaks. I cut my steaks to 1.5" to 2". Anything less go with your CI pan. Next is seasoning. None of this "brining" the meat. Steak needs to be very dry, (wipe down well with towel), light coat of oil (optional). Generous coat of coarse salt (kosher or sea no matter), and pepper to taste. Note because I refuse to use crazy high heat pepper does not burn and cause that bitter taste.
If I am cooking on the Genesis. I get it ripping hot and stabile (stability is important). Then I leave the lid down, turn the middle burner to low (sometimes even off), front and rear burners to medium. While grill is stabilizing with these settings I go back in house and prep my steak(s). (Dry, oil, season). Then right to the grill where they go in the center. Lid goes back down immediately. Let them cook in there a few, then I flip, close lid, cook a bit, flip again. I flip them a lot. Always rotating them as well to make sure no hot/cool spots and crust develops evenly. I pull strips at 125 or so, I pull ribeyes closer to 135. Ribeye is closer to the chuck and has more fat and connective tissue so a slightly more done temp is beneficial IMO. Anyway I get nice steaks every time, no flare ups and plenty of time to enjoy my cocktail while cooking
Also FWIW on that Vette? I'd like red please. Not a silver fan
:D
Sorry Larry I already got the red one.:giggle:

First flip should be when the sear is thorough enough to where the protein (any meat) is not stuck to the grates. After that it’s all preference. You get crisp cross hatches with one flip and one 90 degree rotation per side, you can Carmelize more evenly with more flipping.

Funny, autocorrect said Carmelita. Who did that song again?

An old girlfriends dad did the best pan roasted steak in the world! Shallow crosshatched, salt and pepper, dry CI skillet, dusted with salt insanely hot. He’d drop the steak in and wait for the first bead of blood to rise to the surface then flip roughly two minutes and on the plate. Damn those were great! Cranky old fart but, he could cook a steak. He also complimented me when a hibachI grilled a steak for him for Father’s Day, said he had NEVER had a grilled steak that good in his life. Interesting guy.

Back