Steak crust without “Sharpie” grill lines

The more crust, the better! (not to be confused with char)
We had someone post some time ago sneering at my grill marks as "cheap" and then putting up a picture of one of their steaks burnt to a black crisp on the outside and way to rare - at least for me - on the inside. I agree with you that a real crust is a very good thing, but I will take a GrillGrates "Sharpie" line steak over one scorched on the outside!:p

We had someone post some time ago sneering at my grill marks as "cheap" and then putting up a picture of one of their steaks burnt to a black crisp on the outside and way to rare - at least for me - on the inside. I agree with you that a real crust is a very good thing, but I will take a GrillGrates "Sharpie" line steak over one scorched on the outside!:p
That's like people who say you put too much cheese on your pasta. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life :D

Jon -- since you are a GG guy, you can have both.

Flat side GGs (like a CI skillet) are a great tool for searing. Because conduction (meat in contact with hot metal) is the most efficient way to brown something. For searing, hot metal >>> hot air (i.e. convection, which is what you mostly get from a gasser). Conduction is why you get stripes from any hot grate.

Next best after conduction is radiation. Charcoal direct or an IR burner are best, gasser is weakest for radiation. But GGs rail side up give your gasser an IR boost -- the metal underplate less than an inch from the food adds some good IR action to your cook.

So set up your grill half GG flat, half GG rails up. That is what I do. Since I'm an overall crust preferrer, I sear first on the blazing hot flat side, and then finish the cook on a cooler rails up side. If you are more a stripe guy, I guess you would do the reverse.

Here are a couple bone in ribeyes I cooked tonight on the Jumbo Joe with no sharpie marks. It was about 90% hot since most of the coals used were the shake at the end of the charcoal bag. About 8.5 total cook time, tented about 8-10 min at the final photo with the juice.
5F1A20F2-C2A2-4D00-9719-737B979D5D1F.jpeg
CD881FB2-BCDC-45E1-9F3B-C720D8138E36.jpeg
C48788C2-642C-4A75-99CC-F8D146169CEE.jpeg

Back