Steak crust without “Sharpie” grill lines

I remember the commercials in the 80s where he'd say "I'll paint any car for ninney nine ninney five!" At least that's what I remember ..

I thought it was $ 19.95 and I'm not as old as some of you :p
But back to the OP. We did a steak cook off one night back in the 70's between my Uncle and my older brother and me.
We were working in Texas and wanted to cook steaks. We where staying at a motel with a kitchen so my uncle did his on a CI skillet. My Bro did his on the broiler. I did mine on a cheap charcoal grill outside.
Hands down the steak my Uncle did won.

I do the grill mark method on my Summit usually to judge and see the initial color I want. Then I finish indirect on the upper/warming rack which blends the marks and gives a nice crust & finish on steaks & CC Berkshire pork chops. Chicken of any kind never sees the grates. Always the upper rack with a drip pan below to get crispy skin, beautiful color, and no flare ups. Steaks125, chops 135 & chicken 165. Let resting do the finish work. I generally use 2 seasonings: Bad Byron’s Butt Rub, fabulous on chicken &
Pork & a family traditional rub called Henry’s Secret for ALL protein & grilled vegetables. I like and have done pan searing too and it is equally as good. So many methods, so much great food!!

I use the GrillGrates on the Smokefire, but on the Performer I use the "cold grate technique" from Slow N Sear.

I thought it was interesting that ALL the pictures I posted were done using GrillGrates. The two with crust first came from a GrillGrates board where the posters said they used the flat side of their GrillGrates.

A number of great ideas posted here. I still like grill marks (which do NOT at all require GrillGrates), but I am coming around to see the benefits of an overall crust. Some even try for a blend of the two.

Larry, you are certainly a way better and more experienced grill chef than me. I salute your careful method even if I want my steaks more like 155 or even 160. Thank you for sharing, and thank you to all for the comments, recipes and opinions!

Last edited:
First flip should be when the sear is thorough enough to where the protein (any meat) is not stuck to the grates. After that it’s all preference. You get crisp cross hatches with one flip and one 90 degree rotation per side, you can Carmelize more evenly with more flipping.

Funny, autocorrect said Carmelita. Who did that song again?
Warren Zevon

And Linda Ronstadt!

Album Simple Dreams

I once visited friends who were living near LA in the mid 80s. We drove around and I saw a sign for Ensenada and shortly after one for Echo Park. If you remember that sad song you will understand the memory flash I had seeing that!

And Linda Ronstadt!

Album Simple Dreams

I once visited friends who were living near LA in the mid 80s. We drove around and I saw a sign for Ensenada and shortly after one for Echo Park. If you remember that sad song you will understand the memory flash I had seeing that!
I have not heard that song in thirty years!

Older still. I recall $29.95 in the 50's
I remember $29.95 too. Earl Scheib did not say "any color" at first. One day a story appeared that he offered only black or white paint at that price. Other colors cost more. After that minor scandal over misleading advertising, Earl added "any car, any color" to his patter on those TV commercials. Like his contemporary Cal Worthington, he was ever present on late night TV commercials in Southern California.

One of my siblings used to do an impression of Earl Scheib, but would add, "Does your car need paintin' badly? Then we'll paint it badly for only $29.95!"

I chased grill marks for years...

Now I think it's for looks only. I do it on chicken burgers, but nothing else.

I prefer bone-in rib eye. Two zone on the WSC. Flip at about 80F internal. I pull them at about 105F. Dry them well, brush on olive oil and season while the coals crank up and sear to about 125-130F, 90 seconds a side with two flips and a spin of the grate. Carry over to around 135F. Basically the cold grate technique.

I also do a CI sear with a 12" Lodge griddle dropped in the GBS, with a Vortex under it. Griddle get ripping hot. Much better char/sear but a little different flavor. Both are fantastic per my girls..

Back