Spotted at Costco today

they look like "shiners"... are they "shiners", Chris?
Don't want no stinkin' "shiners"....
3.91 lbs and 2.91 lbs of it in bones :mad:

So that’s why they were so cheap. “Shiners” is a new term to me.
A “shiner” is a negative term for a rib where the meat doesn't cover the top of the bone, so the bones “shine” through down the entire rack. Racks of beef ribs are nearly always shiners because it just doesn't make financial sense to slice them any other way.

But , the spares I've been buying lately, are almost shiners. I can not find meaty spare ribs, even at the local meat market.

IDK what that's about.

Yep, I saw those on my last trip to CostCo, too. They seem to have replaced the chuck short ribs they used to have. :( There were definitely a lot of shiners in the ones I looked at, so I passed. I'll trek to RD in San Jose if I have a need for beef ribs, I don't think those will be my preference.

R

Had those once, my butcher cooked em up, I wasn’t aware they even existed until I realized I had mostly bones! 😡

Wow, learn something new every day! I had never heard the term "shiners" until now as well....looks like you're paying for a lot of bone, kinda like a cowboy ribeye. By those measures, a beef rib bone must be some of the most expensive bones available!!!
Tim

Wow, learn something new every day! I had never heard the term "shiners" until now as well....looks like you're paying for a lot of bone, kinda like a cowboy ribeye. By those measures, a beef rib bone must be some of the most expensive bones available!!!
Tim

Same bone. They cut the ribeye off the back ribs, that's why there's shiners. They can make better profits off the ribeye, than the back rib. They get all they can on the ribeye.

Made that mistake only once. Cooked up a whole big rack and there wasn't as much meat on the whole thing as there was on a cheap hamburger.

Be wary of multi-piece packages where the top rib section looks good - it's quite easy to hide the shiners underneath!

Back