So what other hobbies do you you guys have?

It's not a hobby, but I have been holding on to my records for many years. Starting with 78's, 33 1/3 LP's. mine, my brother's, my sister's 45's. Any suggestions? I don't think my daughter wants me to pass them on to her.
Joan, you could also donate them. After my Mom passed away we found a lot of LP's from my Dad and hers.
We found a local resale shop that used most of the profit to help battered women.

I've really been getting into cooking other than on the grills and smokers so that has turned into my main hobby these days really. Other hobbies than cooking are classic cars and computers though. Not sure I wouldn't call my attempts to fish a hobby, more of a challenge I would say.

Joan, you could also donate them. After my Mom passed away we found a lot of LP's from my Dad and hers.
We found a local resale shop that used most of the profit to help battered women.
HI Tim, I have thought of that, of course, but then I start thinking about (God forbid) DH going first and what if I need the money.

DH was just telling me about the price of everything going up, up and up. :eek:

My brother in law owns a music shop, says that over 2/3rds of his sales are in vinyl. Both new and used.

Seeing the USA in our Chevrolet!
We've been taking road trips all over the US in our old Chevy, usually with about eight other couples with similar cars.

Also, restoring old Corvettes. The one in the picture is a 66. I'm currently working on a 65.

I also enjoy good German beer and classic rock music

Gerry

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_185834781.jpg
    IMG_20210211_185834781.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210211_192350712.jpg
    IMG_20210211_192350712.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210211_192337157.jpg
    IMG_20210211_192337157.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
HI Tim, I have thought of that, of course, but then I start thinking about (God forbid) DH going first and what if I need the money.

DH was just telling me about the price of everything going up, up and up. :eek:
If you really think you have some gems in your collection try this link.
It is where I go to buy and sell records, just type the name of the artist in the top bar, spelling is of most importance and then select your record. From there it will list every pressing of it, you can find your pressing mainly from the info on the spine, back cover or lastly the bar code.
Many records, say like Michael Jackson thriller will have hundreds of pressings, millions sitting all over in record shops but if you look closely there will be 1 certain pressing, like I sad earlier usually the first one that will be the gold nugget and worth possibly thousands. The odds are slim that you are sitting on a gold mine, I know I am not sitting on anything special and have about 500 records all older than 1975 but I know how it works and have purchased some very limited first edition items a few years back. It turned out to be a 7" with pressing mistakes and was limited to 272 copies only made. I luckily pre ordered 2 of them to later on find that info out. While only being a 7" record and about 2.5 years old I have already been offered over $150 for one. Sitting on that one for as long as I can with 4 digit hopes down the road. Here is an example of that Jackson idea I was rambling about earlier.

1613139743431.png

Hi Darryl, thank you for the link. I will have to give it a try whenever I get any of my records unpacked. I have been in the mood to listen to them for some time now, just haven't done anything about it tho. lol

As a vinyl player & owner of around 3,000 LP I thought I would add a little more info. I don’t want to rain on your parade, I just wish to share some further insight. When selling vinyl, it needs to be graded, usually visually i.e., mint, NM, VG+, or EX, VG, etc. That said, some defects are easy to see, such as scratches and warps. Others are subtle, such as groove wear from using a cheap or poorly aligned tone arm. History has shown that LPs (1950s to about 1971) tend to play better than they look, and newer LPs (at least until 1989) tend to play worse than they look. Also, not only is actual record graded but so is the album cover.

Technology is far better now then back in the day when it comes turntables & phono cartridges & because of this there is a strong chance that your collection may not sound as well.

I don’t see a huge demand for 78 speed LP, as most new turntables don’t support that speed. 7” 45 RPM records were more of a novelty for the old record players & jukeboxes, you can go on E-Bay & do some searches on “Lot Pricing” for 45RPM, not really a huge demand for these.

Because vinyl has been on an upswing for the last 10-15 years there are numerous facilities worldwide that are pressing reissues of the old titles. Examples of online retailers are Acoustic Sounds, Amazon, Elusive Disc, Music Direct & even Wal-Mart & Target are now selling them.

Genre or music type also weighs in on demand, here are some statistics related to sales by genre for 2018:

Rock 41.7%

Pop 25.6%

R & B 7.9%

Rap/HipHop 6.6%

Stage & Screen 5.7%

Country 2.9%

All Other 5.3%

I’m not going to give any direction on what I think you should do; I believe others have already done that. Best of luck on whatever you choose to do.

Thank you Eric. That is all good to know. I haven't seen my records in years so I don't know what condition they are in.

Seeing the USA in our Chevrolet!
We've been taking road trips all over the US in our old Chevy, usually with about eight other couples with similar cars.

Also, restoring old Corvettes. The one in the picture is a 66. I'm currently working on a 65.

I also enjoy good German beer and classic rock music

Gerry
That's a really beautiful old Vette! I had a chance to visit Munich (just for a few hours on the tale end of a work trip, right before Covid), now I have a new appreciation for German beer! My profile pic is actually me at the original Hoffbrau Huas in Munich. A few months after I got back, I found out that a brewery in my home town of St. Louis MO ( https://www.urbanchestnut.com/our-beers ) has imported their brew master from somewhere near Munich. They are following the purity law and making some really good Dunkel and Bavarian Lager - not sure if you can find it outside of St. Louis or not but the Dunkel tastes a lot like what I had in Munich.

I don't know if you could call this a hobby, but, for the last few months, I have gotten hooked on watching on TV BUZZR where they show old game shows. I especially like watching "Match Game" and "Password". It is soo great to see some of the celebrities from years ago.

Other than cooking I have spent the last 35 years buying and selling vintage unused claw hammers(I know), restoring Mopars, woodworking, finding and restoring cast iron cookware and restoring and selling vintage PK grills. I like finding welding projects too hence building my grill trailer rig. I’m an old hardware store geek and I can’t pass one without stopping, they’re a vanishing part of Americana. I grew up on and played rock/metal guitar(70’s-80’s) but everything eventually leads to the true American music…old time traditional bluegrass..love it. I also love helping folks in need. Oh and collecting charcoal my wife says 😬.8CEFBA54-7581-4F32-8427-E35DF77FAF16.jpeg9D282D7C-D52B-4CE2-89F4-AD55FB5FB915.jpegDAD9B2CB-6534-4559-982B-A9C29C628D3E.jpegC744D98E-329D-4F3B-A672-01EAC8ABC076.jpegEDB8D1E9-D16E-4876-BB4B-68B08156A7F2.jpeg30C774F5-9A80-446D-A66D-817CCB7E4765.jpeg031F9DB3-7D6E-4B4A-A7A1-C735D4ED4F44.jpeg11C0E8B8-F755-408A-8ED9-FAA08942CA1A.jpeg583BF19A-9CA2-4CC5-BA32-F1009B7E2D91.jpeg

Back