Smoking when the heat index exceeds 115 degrees

Mike Shook

TVWBB Fan
Nope. Nothing to see here, I ain't that crazy. My mother raised ugly children, not stupid ones.

It was too hot to spend any time at all out there this weekend.

I am going to take my chances with the meat in the fridge for a few more days, rubbed and all. Maybe I'll take off Tuesday or Wednesday when the forecast is only to be 90 degrees.

Been too ugly here too weather wise! Did a side of salmon on the kettle yesterday whe the temperature dropped to about 88 and the humidity lessened. Today is lovely but, dinner for ten yesterday wore me out in that heat even though it improved as the evening wore on.

When friends moved to Qatar (and moved back)* I told them they could sous vide waving it out the window. Except for those who like it rare.

*they moved to Texas, colder...

Been 100 +/- 2 here for about a week but that isn't keeping me from smoking and grilling. My grillzebo is on the east side of the house and provides plenty of shade after about noon. With the low humidity here in the high desert, shade = comfort. Even so, I take advantage of remote thermometers to monitor most cooks from inside where we keep the AC set to 75.

I cooked on the Santa Maria on one of the hotter days and will be doing a tri tip on it this afternoon (98 forecasted). Most anything on the Santa Maria requires a lot of hands on, so a cold beer and some afternoon shade will suffice. Weather seldom keeps this old goat from outdoor cooking.

Where we moved from 22 years ago, 115+ was a pretty normal Summer day, but I still smoked and grilled quite often. Don't think I could hack that now at 76. Oh, to be young again :)

Been 100 +/- 2 here for about a week but that isn't keeping me from smoking and grilling. My grillzebo is on the east side of the house and provides plenty of shade after about noon. With the low humidity here in the high desert, shade = comfort. Even so, I take advantage of remote thermometers to monitor most cooks from inside where we keep the AC set to 75.

I cooked on the Santa Maria on one of the hotter days and will be doing a tri tip on it this afternoon (98 forecasted). Most anything on the Santa Maria requires a lot of hands on, so a cold beer and some afternoon shade will suffice. Weather seldom keeps this old goat from outdoor cooking.

Where we moved from 22 years ago, 115+ was a pretty normal Summer day, but I still smoked and grilled quite often. Don't think I could hack that now at 76. Oh, to be young again :)
Heck Bob, you and I are the same age. Now I start smoking when it's above 90 and I look like a saddle bag with grey hair. Although I think you were talking about grilling and smoking on a smoker huh.

I know that area well Chuck .
I’ve lived just over the hill most of my life.
I bbq in it too.
About 2 years ago the heatwave in Diablo reached 118 degrees and killed my chicken coop.
Those temps are why we don’t spend much time there anymore.
The temps here near Sequim seldom hit the high 80’s and seldom go to freezing.

I think the weather overall has been in a warming trend and I’m not sure when it going to stop or at least level out.
I don’t recall these high temps when I was younger.

I think the weather overall has been in a warming trend and I’m not sure when it going to stop or at least level out.
I don’t recall these high temps when I was younger.
I used to go to the delta when I was a teen back in the 70's. I remember it being so hot, we would sleep on blow ups in the water at night. But to your point, things are changing. Migration routes have changed considerably in the last decade or so. I've pretty much given up waterfowl hunting these days. Too much effort and zero guarantees

It was around 90 around 11:00am this past weekend....didn't think much of hovering over the slate and doing a big breakfast until I was hovering over the hot slate doing a big breakfast.....way hotter than smoking something.

Where we moved from 22 years ago, 115+ was a pretty normal Summer day, but I still smoked and grilled quite often. Don't think I could hack that now at 76. Oh, to be young again

Bob, I lived in Stead in 83,& 84, loved ut back then I worked at LearFan Corp. I came from Wichita KS and could nor beleive the low Humidity. 90 outside just step into the shade.
I miss that area although N AZ is about the same weather and altitude.
96 here on at 1230.
Cooking chicken on the performer

It's hotter than normal here in Las Vegas. Fortunately, we are uphill from The Strip so our temps run about 5 degrees cooler. Even so, we are now using our Genesis as an outdoor oven like Rich Dahl does. Las night was Meatloaf w/ baked potatoes. Tonight will be chicken breasts w/ BBQ sauce. Side and veggie will still be indoors in the microwave.

For the most part think people acclimate to their environment.
Living in a marine area where it seldom gets to 80f or 26.6c has really turned me into a cupcake.
My favorites temps are between 62 thru 72.
Yes, I am a sissy.

I think San Francisco’s outer East Bay Area where I spent many years at has about 20 days that are over 100 degrees.
Out of that there is a strong handful of days at or near 105 and a couple at or over 110 every year.
There is a reason the area is called Diablo.
As far as I’m concerned it that might as well be 10 below zero because I’m not going out in that.

This time of year we start the day at 80° F and 60% plus humidity. It has to be mind over matter to cope. Just slow down, relax and enjoy.......then beat it into the AC when you reach the "maximum enjoyment" you can stand.

Lived in Northern AZ for the last 22 years in Prescott and Prescott Valley, not too far from Kevin in Chino Valley.
We are at around 5300 ft and every year it's gotten warmer, and the monsoons have diminished considerably.
Yesterday we hit 100 which is really hot for this time of the year, and we've had a few days of 106+ in early June.
Yesterday went out in the AM to setup the Jumbo Joe to do some KFC for our dinner latter, that was about 10:30.
There was no breeze at all and the JJ was in the sun and as I started to take the cover off It was so hot out there, I said the heck with this. Ended up cooking the chicken on the E320 under the fully covered patio latter in the evening.
The A/C was still kicking on at 8pm.

Haha, gotta love that "not stupid" line! You're absolutely right, that heat is no joke. Smoking in that kind of weather sounds like a recipe for heatstroke, not delicious BBQ. Smart move on holding off!

Back