SmokeFire issues on YouTube.

Harry posted his SF video to his class alumni FB page with this description. It’s Test #2 that I want to see.
TORTURE TEST 1 - PASSED
45 lbs 5 meats in 8 hours. Generate grease from a 16 lb brisket, 10 lb butt, and 3 St. Louis ribs to drip on the SF the first 6 hours at 400F and 275F. After all that grease was accumulated, fire it up to 600F to grill the Ribeyes and sausages. Cook to let the grease drain in the unit and then try to flash that grease at 600F to test for safety
TORTURE TEST 2 - PENDING
60 lb, 2 meats, 12 hours. Two 16-lb brisket, Four 10-lb butts. Low and slow 225F to see if hopper feeds properly and no grease fire
#harrysoo #slapyodaddybbq #SmokeFire

Here is a video from the BBQ Guys that tells you everything you need to do for a good SmokeFire experience. So they could put this together, but Weber couldn't? Interesting that they recommend not using an extension cord. They also say you should clean after every cook.

Here is a video from the BBQ Guys that tells you everything you need to do for a good SmokeFire experience. So they could put this together, but Weber couldn't? Interesting that they recommend not using an extension cord. They also say you should clean after every cook.

Great video, but can you really trust a skinny pitmaster? :)

Seriously, nice to see a dealership shooting fairly straight. Hoping this all gets figured out, I'm sitting here credit card at the ready...even if I have to wait a bit.

since it didn't come up can we take it they did not have a lot of the software issues that people are experiencing??

Extension cords that are not rated high enough can wreak havoc and damaged electronics. Not to mention the fire risk. However I don't see a problem using one as long as it's gauge is sufficient and you haven't gone crazy with the length of it causing a loss and the travel.

I use a 12 ga. outside approved 25' extension cord that is rated twice the amperage draw of my Camp Chef. Don't know what the Weber's draw is but like said above know what your extension cord can handle and what you pellet grill requires.
Also I always clean my grills after they cool or the next day. If I don't I will forget and sometimes they may sit for a month or more before I use them again and can you say gross.

Last edited:
Interesting that they recommend not using an extension cord.
That sounds absurd they said that, on my deck and it would not be there its at least 14' from an outlet how long is the cord for the Weber? I have heavy duty exterior extension cords and never had an issue running any power tool whether its a 12" chop saw or whatever outside. I doubt the Weber draws more than a 12" chop saw. If it fact Weber is saying do not use a extension cord that would be another reason not to buy it, I don't think that is the case though.

We shouldn't have to shuffle the pellets every hour. One thing Weber could do for the Pellet Hopper problem and that's use Dave's fix. A set of thin adhesive UHMW plastic panels for every surface that pellets touch on both models would mean more time between pellet checks and not cost an arm and a leg. I'm guessing at the internal geometry but a liner for the bottom of the cooking chamber contoured to enhance grease flow would stop that problem. They need to pay some overtime and get out updates to their software once a week. I think Dave will solve the blowing ash problem. Finally, design a Gen 2 that backyard BBQers can enjoy using.

I use a 12 ga. outside approved 25' extension cord that is rated twice the amperage draw of my Camp Chef. Don't know what the Weber's draw is but like said above know what your extension cord can handle and what you pellet grill requires.
Also I always clean my grills after they cool or the next day. If I don't I will forget and sometimes they may sit for a month or more before I use them again and can you say gross.

I have no option but to run my Rec Tec pellet grill using an extension cord. I will say that when I tried a longer cord plugged into an outdoor outlet with a GFI, it tripped it every time. Now I run a shorter cord inside to one of my interior outlets. Not a big deal to me. Never had a problem since switching to that. I guess if you had a really low-grade cord I could see it potentially causing a problem.

The extension cord restriction has to be a legal issue as much as anything. How many amps does this thing take? Everybody here knows to use a cord rated properly, but how many people would clip the ground prong and use a zip cord?

Weber is still promoting the SF on FB this evening. They have a link to a Kevin Kolman video.
They're getting roasted in comments.
Here's one Weber reply to someone concerned about buying one after all the bad reviews:
"Hi Nathan! We’ve found that of the thousands of SmokeFire grills currently in use, only a small percentage are having challenges. We’re working directly with grillers who have reached out to our Consumer Care team to get them grilling again."

Here's KK's video:

Weber is still promoting the SF on FB this evening. They have a link to a Kevin Kolman video.
They're getting roasted in comments.
Here's one Weber reply to someone concerned about buying one after all the bad reviews:
"Hi Nathan! We’ve found that of the thousands of SmokeFire grills currently in use, only a small percentage are having challenges. We’re working directly with grillers who have reached out to our Consumer Care team to get them grilling again."

Here's KK's video:

right now the top comment is asking if you can remotely put out grease fires with it :ROFLMAO:

I'm waiting to hear what happens after the 72-hour blackout they gave everybody. Which should be pretty much first thing tomorrow given when they went silent. It would be wise of them to have a lot more then promotional and sales videos on YouTube once they break their silence.

So I know some might not like this video but this is exactly what they need to be doing, reassure owners they have a ****ing plan!!

I want more of that and sent Weber a lengthy email a few days ago stating such!! The clock is ticking on the most eager purchasers who pre-ordered on December 1st, let me know you have some ideas before my return window is up!!

Listening to everything said in that video, they really stepped in it with all the previous claims.
The whole series of short Videos released tonight are all about damage control (literally and figuratively). In concept, it is a good move, but the fact that they contradict previous PR materials makes it very obvious that they know they messed up. Not admitting it though and pretending like it's all user error might not sit well with early adopters though.

That's corporate. Image is everything so you NEVER humbly admit you didn't do something well. You just spin everything positive. I could never work in that kind of environment.

"Pride goes before destruction,
and haughtiness before a fall."

Bruno, if I were in your shoes I would be a mess. Do you stick it out and trust Weber to fix all of the problems or do you bail and wait for Gen 2 or bail and go a different direction. I look at the EX4 pellet bin as more easily fixable than the EX6. Looking at what Dave has done gives you an idea of what needs to be done to rectify some mechanical problems but you're obviously worried about grease fires. Given the inside geometry it seems to me that only a liner will change the grease problem. If it were me I would ignore any Weber loyalty and protect myself. I would return it. That advice from a 78 yr., long retired, old engineer is worth exactly what you paid for it so do what eases your stress.

The whole series of short Videos released tonight are all about damage control (literally and figuratively). In concept, it is a good move, but the fact that they contradict previous PR materials makes it very obvious that they know they messed up. Not admitting it though and pretending like it's all user error might not sit well with early adopters though.
Ha! Shot in the parking lot on a friday afternoon on an iPhone. Damage control, indeed!

Ha! Shot in the parking lot on a friday afternoon on an iPhone. Damage control, indeed!
I was thinking the same thing. you can tell this is rush to get something/anything out there. I'm not sure why they didn't have enough sense to at least bring one of them inside and shoot some videos while standing next to it. The wind noise in the videos is horrendous.
I said a couple days ago I would respect them not if they just came right out an said , We are sorry, we F-d up, but we'll somehow make it right.
That's corporate. Image is everything so you NEVER humbly admit you didn't do something well. You just spin everything positive. I could never work in that kind of environment.

"Pride goes before destruction,
and haughtiness before a fall."
Recently there have been other much larger than Weber companies screwing up and giving the same corporate response to the public. How is that working out for them, well they are currently losing billions of dollars. this fiasco might cost Weber millions, but if they don't get their act together I don't think they have the billions that the other company I'm speaking of is able to absorb.

Back