Smoked Queso Dip

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
I’m in a smoking Facebook group, over the last few weeks suddenly Smoked Queso dip seemed to be the thing to do. So had to give it a try.

Gouda, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Colby jack, ground beef, onion, jalapeño, Ro-tel, chipotle peppers, smoked at about 300 over apple chips for two hours9EB4440B-EF63-4EA6-8B13-056D7D5C182C.jpeg

B5C86769-F41D-4C92-A555-010771D2BC3D.jpegD28B8F79-E366-4426-A37E-F29FBBEF0CFC.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s good, but definitely trying to figure out some adjustments. The cheese got a little solid as it cooled. But also there’s a little watery or liquid separation. Some people use Velveeta, which I am trying to avoid. Apparently its good as a binder, melty cheese. Have heard some people talk about a roux as a binder, but also some suggest either milk or a beer to loosen it up. The taste is GREAT, will re-heat it tomorrow and fine tune it. I’m lucky, have a frind who is a chef, he is great when it comes to food science.

If you want to avoid velveeta but you want a melty cheese I saw a video by Chud's BBQ YouTube channel where he used sodium citrate to make his own American cheese. I find that intriguing and I may research that. It probably beats the hell out of velveeta.

You lost me here. 😉
No, I'm all in on Velveeta and I'm going to use it for this cook, but there's not much actual cheese there. I ordered some sodium citrate and I'm going to make my own. My wife said"Let me get this straight. So you are going to take perfectly good expensive block cheese and you are going to turn it into that? Cheap American cheese? "
Yep. Yes I am.

Ok, so here’s the post mortem....when I reheated it, the solids and the oils separated even more. It looked absolutely awful. Wish I had taken a pic, lol. But being on the beach, at a grill, and a little buzzed, we had to at least try it. Tasted amazing. The texture was a little rough, but scooped on a tostito, was really delicious. Might have to go the velveeta route next time, Chef friend said that would help keep it emulsified and would stay together better

Back