Smoked Queso Dip

check my recipe. I went with the can of condensed soup an half pound of pepper jack. Nice consistency I recommend but watch any other salt as the soup does enough.

You guys are killing me with all these ideas:D
Besides M&C, add some elbows for a killer cheeseburger hamburger helper clone.

I would try one out first lol, I found it to be pretty rich so I don't know how much you could eat at one sitting. But it is a great idea for sure. I used Malcom's gringo grande rub on mine, and applied it 2 times so the flavor really got in there. I love that rub, it's next inline of my favorite to the Crosta Carne. The Mexican flavors it has is outstanding and from my perspective is what put the dish together. It feels like it may have been a little bland without it. Take note I didn't use any chipotle or peppers of that style in mine but I wanted to.

I would try one out first lol, I found it to be pretty rich so I don't know how much you could eat at one sitting. But it is a great idea for sure. I used Malcom's gringo grande rub on mine, and applied it 2 times so the flavor really got in there. I love that rub, it's next inline of my favorite to the Crosta Carne. The Mexican flavors it has is outstanding and from my perspective is what put the dish together. It feels like it may have been a little bland without it. Take note I didn't use any chipotle or peppers of that style in mine but I wanted to.
Agree 100% on the richness, and it would be pretty heavy to eat a ton of it. Last time I did it, we transferred it to a crock pot to keep it warm and had friends over. Could feed a big crew, but cant have that many guests right now....

And I agree on adding some other layers of flavor. I used ground beef, but thinking next time maybe crumbled breakfast sausage. And I think the rotel with habañero gave it a nice kick. For the next one will add white wine for texture, and may replace the raw onions with some onions I smoked

With 1 or 2 more tries I know I will nail it down to what I think is the best anyways. I would use the exact same ingredients as I posted when I cooked it, maybe swap 1 can of mild tomatoes out with the spicy and possibly add a few fancy peppers. Skip the AP rub on the veggies.....no spice is needed while frying them up. It was literally 5 minutes on higher heat. I just brought them to where the onion was starting to go translucent, so soften up the peppers and onion. I also used ground beef and will go with removing casings from my favorite butcher sausage and using 2 or 3 of those. The beef was okay but nothing I put spice on transferred over to the dip. The main flavor was the gringo grande.....and it was prefect.
So that is my next go.......skip all spice when building it, use the grande gringo for my spice and let the salt in the soup take care of what I need.

Ok, so decided to try v3.0.
Same recipe as before, 8 oz each of gruyere, cheddar, monterey jack and velveeta, 1# of cooked ground beef, 1 diced yellow onion, 1 can of ro-tel diced tomatoes with habañero, 2 diced jalapeños, the new addition this time was 1 cup of white wine (chardonnay) to loosen it up a bit. Had it on for about 2.5 hours at 325, sprinkled some blues hog bbq rub each time I stirred it. I was worried for a bit, as the wine seemed to slow down the cheese melting. But ultimately, it all came together and tasted great. I think next time the only change would be to shred the cheese instead of cutting it up in chunks.

F755FB3E-4EEE-4C80-82AB-87A9ADE20735.jpeg

It looks tasty for sure!
Looking back simple sure does sound good and I know as long as that velveeta is in there it tastes good....It shouldn't but it does.
I will recommend the can of soup if you have enough other ingredients to offset the salt in the soup....I seen many people using it and it does come out super creamy. I have only done it one time, so I am far from a pro but with the warmer weather I will be sure to do it again.
What did you serve it with or on?
I took left overs and made it go on Taco's......very nice.

It looks tasty for sure!
Looking back simple sure does sound good and I know as long as that velveeta is in there it tastes good....It shouldn't but it does.
I will recommend the can of soup if you have enough other ingredients to offset the salt in the soup....I seen many people using it and it does come out super creamy. I have only done it one time, so I am far from a pro but with the warmer weather I will be sure to do it again.
What did you serve it with or on?
I took left overs and made it go on Taco's......very nice.

We ate it on tortilla chips. Kept it warm in the crock pot.
I’d be ok with trying a soup in it, but would have to be anything but mushroom. no way I’m tainting good queso with something so gross 😉

Yeah I don't like mushroom soup at all myself, I never eat. You wouldn't even know it was an ingredient. I was very much in speculation too before I did it. I would say none of the flavour moves over to the finished product, it more or less changes the creaminess and consistency of the dip. It was the smoothest thing you could put on a a chip. If you were questioning it still I would consider something with less flavour like maybe a cream of chicken or something. Or don't try it, I really had to convince myself to do it.........I will be doing it again next time too.

Has anyone tried a smoked cheese dip in a little dutch oven on the smoker, or would the clean-up be a nightmare?

Thinking it maybe would be a nightmare. What about cooking it in a disposable pan, and then serving in the little dutch oven, or is that overkill?

Cooking it in a disposable container is how I did it and see most people go after doing it.
I just serve in it too.....looks like it took a lot of work to get it where it is....
I have also just served it in little bowls for individual style.
I will be making the it for the second time here in about a week or 2.
Will post up results again.

Has anyone tried a smoked cheese dip in a little dutch oven on the smoker, or would the clean-up be a nightmare?

Thinking it maybe would be a nightmare. What about cooking it in a disposable pan, and then serving in the little dutch oven, or is that overkill?

i smoked mine in a disposable pan, but then served it in a small 2QT crock pot to keep it warm for friends

I will be sure to post a pic or 2.....
Hopefully as I have a lot going on this Saturday with the cook which will include the queso as a dip.
It's going to be Taco Fiesta Alfresco. Which I do get it Mexican / Italian ........ Fiesta Alfresco
But I like to say it fast and it sounds like its a big taco party outside, which it is going to be.....
First time cooks taco al pastor and barbacoa.
So cutting up a small pork shoulder or butt, whatever looks good when I go shopping and about 3 pounds of beef cheeks.
Making salsa verde, guacamole, pico and doing the 2 meat cooks and then the queso too, so hopefully it needs no attention other than a stir or 2 and hopefully remember to get a pic or 2 in.

Apparently I failed to go pics on round 2 of the queso.....
It was good, too much stuff in it.
3rd time has to be a charm.
Picking up the goodies tomorrow and making one that is a bit more viscous.
Plans for tomorrow evening are bbq’d hot dogs, looking for the small red hots I think.
On these dogs is going to be smoked queso and homemade chili.
Also fire roasting habaneros....I have like 24 of them or something🤣🌋
Nacho chips too, I was going to make fire roasted salsa but not sure if I have time.
Golf tournament tomorrow non shotgun starting at noon, not sure when I tee off so dinner has to be fairly quick.
Once the fire is going and the cheese is all cut up it should be under an hour for dinner.
This time I will send pics of said queso chili dogs n chips.....

Made the queso again. Tonight was chili cheese dogs with nacho chips.
I fire roasted some habaneros and holy moly those are hot as f*#& !!!
Made sides for regular hot dogs too...fried onions and chopped dills.
Those habaneros though holy cow....that 24 habanero salsa would be impossible to eat.
Toasted buns, on the outside, keeps the inside nice and soft.

Queso was
1 pound velveeta
Half block of havarti
Can of rotel
Fried onions, peppers and jalapeño
3 johnsanville breakfast sausage patties chopped
1 can of 40% less sodium cream of mushroom condensed soup
Cooked th veg with gringo grande from Malcom Reed.
Added gringo grande to the queso at the start and a bit more half way through.
This was the best part of the meal.
Chili was left over frozen chili.
It was good stuff....too much chili and too much queso makes a great hot dog.
Made myself 4, could hardly get through 3......😜

Attachments

• ECEB3C1B-8742-4639-AAF4-DE7C33D518CA.jpeg
    ECEB3C1B-8742-4639-AAF4-DE7C33D518CA.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 0011DD85-0DC9-4374-9AFE-E0FB0DEFBD7D.jpeg
    0011DD85-0DC9-4374-9AFE-E0FB0DEFBD7D.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 12
  • C8020441-2235-4261-B08B-B9CD42D75E22.jpeg
    C8020441-2235-4261-B08B-B9CD42D75E22.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 11
  • AABAF2D1-BEC5-4BD5-9294-21F2465E52CA.jpeg
    AABAF2D1-BEC5-4BD5-9294-21F2465E52CA.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 75BE13A1-5861-445C-B5FD-1654C1BB7CA0.jpeg
    75BE13A1-5861-445C-B5FD-1654C1BB7CA0.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 45F39117-D679-4FBD-90CA-E1E806B5B03A.jpeg
    45F39117-D679-4FBD-90CA-E1E806B5B03A.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DDF0923B-D2DE-489D-9E98-BAF0BF22CC22.jpeg
    DDF0923B-D2DE-489D-9E98-BAF0BF22CC22.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 11
  • CD78A446-48A8-403B-AECB-36AE7CF58C8A.jpeg
    CD78A446-48A8-403B-AECB-36AE7CF58C8A.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 155C8DAE-2C9C-44CC-846B-A1CEFF383A02.jpeg
    155C8DAE-2C9C-44CC-846B-A1CEFF383A02.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 12
  • A5DEB4BC-0B34-4AB0-8DD2-E0D4F88402D7.jpeg
    A5DEB4BC-0B34-4AB0-8DD2-E0D4F88402D7.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 89BDE1EC-E7E0-4D0D-8FA9-739F2A92ED4A.jpeg
    89BDE1EC-E7E0-4D0D-8FA9-739F2A92ED4A.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 11
  • EC1C2FDF-129A-48DF-AF21-E3211F3AA5EA.jpeg
    EC1C2FDF-129A-48DF-AF21-E3211F3AA5EA.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That picahna is tomorrow’s nights meal.
Smoked picanah roast and baked taters...
Having the old man over, he likes meat potato and veg....
It’s going to be a hit.

Back