Smoked Queso Dip

15 minutes since my last post......still looking at it.
Might decide to make this this weekend, the MRS LOVES LOVES LOVES cheese......:love:
I just like to cook good things and eat good food.....
Just go for it !!!
Pretty easy - actually, no, VERY easy.
Taste’s great, its queso dip. But yes, probably not something you want to do to often.
And really pairs well with something sudsy.....

Alrighty then.........
I made the official commitment to make this smoked queso this coming weekend.
I have been reviewing other people's recipes, all of them appear as though they can be modified to suit any taste.
Like adding fried corn and black beans if you wanted to take that route. Jalapeno for that spicy option would be great as well. My guests for this dish won't eat anything hot so it's not an option for me this time. Or turn it into a smoky buffalo chicken dip would be great to I think.
Pulled chicken, buffalo stuff and some nice heat......maybe some blue cheese crumble on top......
Anyways I have decided to add some fluid to it as it would appear as the first recipe in this thread sounds to me like it would come out a bit like a cheese blob, I don't know how else to describe it. I am only guessing of course but something to emulsify everything seems in order.
So sour creme maybe....or some condensed soup perhaps...to keep it nice and smooth.
Also going to be adding a healthy amount of Malcom's gringo rub to the pan before it goes on the Grill.
Our friend Michael Richards would agree about the flavours of that rub and being a Mexican style dish that it should be the rub of choice.
Also using Velveeta for that smooth texture with some jack cheese and possibly cream cheese, depends on the consistency of it. For the most part following everything else as posted earlier. Sour creme and cream cheese I will want to be careful with as I know the richness this will add to the dish. I will be sure to post and share the thoughts of what I would change if needed.

Alrighty then.........
I made the official commitment to make this smoked queso this coming weekend.
I have been reviewing other people's recipes, all of them appear as though they can be modified to suit any taste.
Like adding fried corn and black beans if you wanted to take that route. Jalapeno for that spicy option would be great as well. My guests for this dish won't eat anything hot so it's not an option for me this time. Or turn it into a smoky buffalo chicken dip would be great to I think.
Pulled chicken, buffalo stuff and some nice heat......maybe some blue cheese crumble on top......
Anyways I have decided to add some fluid to it as it would appear as the first recipe in this thread sounds to me like it would come out a bit like a cheese blob, I don't know how else to describe it. I am only guessing of course but something to emulsify everything seems in order.
So sour creme maybe....or some condensed soup perhaps...to keep it nice and smooth.
Also going to be adding a healthy amount of Malcom's gringo rub to the pan before it goes on the Grill.
Our friend Michael Richards would agree about the flavours of that rub and being a Mexican style dish that it should be the rub of choice.
Also using Velveeta for that smooth texture with some jack cheese and possibly cream cheese, depends on the consistency of it. For the most part following everything else as posted earlier. Sour creme and cream cheese I will want to be careful with as I know the richness this will add to the dish. I will be sure to post and share the thoughts of what I would change if needed.

A couple of thoughts....it actually wasn’t a cheese blob, could easily run a tostito through it, but I’m always looking to tweak it. For my next one, I’m going to add a cup of white wine just to change the consistency a bit. And I added Velveeta, that seemed to help emulsify it compared to my first attempt. Not sure how sour cream is when cooked, would be interested in how that works for you.

I too had to temper the heat level, wife doesn’t like super spicy. Changed the jalapeños to chipotles in adobo for another layer of flavor. And I sprinkled rub over the top, cant remember if it was Blues Hog or Malcolm’s Killer Hog BBQ rub. It forms a nice smoky top layer, which I then stirred up so I’d get another smoky flavor layer throughout.

Looking forward to seeing the results of yours.

I made this dip a couple months ago for an Oregon Ducks football game. I only added cut up little smokies for additional texture. Virtually gone as soon as it was done and put out. It's fantastic!! BTW, my Ducks lost but the dip was a winner. (I smoked it at 295 degrees over hickory and pecan on my Memphis pellet grill.)

Attachments

• queso1.jpg
    queso1.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 26
  • queso2.jpg
    queso2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 23
  • queso3.jpg
    queso3.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 23
  • queso4.jpg
    queso4.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 23
I made this dip a couple months ago for an Oregon Ducks football game. I only added cut up little smokies for additional texture. Virtually gone as soon as it was done and put out. It's fantastic!! BTW, my Ducks lost but the dip was a winner. (I smoked it at 295 degrees over hickory and pecan on my Memphis pellet grill.)

Looks AMAZING

A couple of thoughts....it actually wasn’t a cheese blob, could easily run a tostito through it, but I’m always looking to tweak it. For my next one, I’m going to add a cup of white wine just to change the consistency a bit. And I added Velveeta, that seemed to help emulsify it compared to my first attempt. Not sure how sour cream is when cooked, would be interested in how that works for you.

I too had to temper the heat level, wife doesn’t like super spicy. Changed the jalapeños to chipotles in adobo for another layer of flavor. And I sprinkled rub over the top, cant remember if it was Blues Hog or Malcolm’s Killer Hog BBQ rub. It forms a nice smoky top layer, which I then stirred up so I’d get another smoky flavor layer throughout.

Looking forward to seeing the results of yours.
I wasn't trying to offend when I said cheese blob, I just didn't know how else to describe what I was seeing in my head. Just trying to figure out how to get the consistency of something similar to what Mark's picture above looks like. I will be looking to avoid using the sour cream hopefully, I have used it when cooking a smoked mac n cheese Malcom style........It is so over the top rich it became oily. Would make his recipe again but omit things like the sour cream and the mayo 100% .

I think I may go with using a bit of condensed soup as my method to thin it out the dip, I want to be able to spoon it over nacho chips easily. Also using a pound of premium ground chuck beef instead of a pork in this batch. I will be making chili to so a chili and cheese dip style nacho plate is the goal with some smoked wings. I will be sure to share the pros and cons of this one. It's my first go at it, fairly excited.
Have to go get supplies tonight but so far I have 1 pound of beef and 1 pound of velveeta, also a half pound of jack cheese. Going to grab a couple of cans of the rotel with chilies in it, onions, sweet peppers and a small hot pepper selection. Also going with the same method you used with adding some rub to the dish.

Basically I was inspired by your original post, so taking your info and I was inspired by some of the things I seen on this here video. Put a little mix of both things together to see how it turns out.

Basically I was inspired by your original post, so taking your info and I was inspired by some of the things I seen on this here video. Put a little mix of both things together to see how it turns out.

I think its going to be great, can’t wait to see the results. One if the best things about it is that there’s no “right” way to do it, which means there’s no wrong way. I feel like you could do it a different way each time and be good every time.

I wasn't trying to offend when I said cheese blob, I just didn't know how else to describe what I was seeing in my head. Just trying to figure out how to get the consistency of something similar to what Mark's picture above looks like. I will be looking to avoid using the sour cream hopefully, I have used it when cooking a smoked mac n cheese Malcom style........It is so over the top rich it became oily. Would make his recipe again but omit things like the sour cream and the mayo 100% .

I think I may go with using a bit of condensed soup as my method to thin it out the dip, I want to be able to spoon it over nacho chips easily. Also using a pound of premium ground chuck beef instead of a pork in this batch. I will be making chili to so a chili and cheese dip style nacho plate is the goal with some smoked wings. I will be sure to share the pros and cons of this one. It's my first go at it, fairly excited.
Have to go get supplies tonight but so far I have 1 pound of beef and 1 pound of velveeta, also a half pound of jack cheese. Going to grab a couple of cans of the rotel with chilies in it, onions, sweet peppers and a small hot pepper selection. Also going with the same method you used with adding some rub to the dish.
Did you make it? Would love to see the results?

I did make this actually.....didn't get all the pictures I usually do but I do have some.
Just a t work right now but I can post the cook and what I put in it too when I get home.
results were fantastic. Look for it later, I will be sure to post, hopefully I don't forget, like the last 3 or 4 days........

I’ve done malcolms Mac n cheese several times. If you omit the cheese on top of it, just before bacon and bread crumbs, it doesn’t get that greasy or oily.C6D280E7-FB37-4DF6-892B-35C4C140F8F6.jpeg967C4E34-B8EA-478D-97BE-7FEEA6A38BE2.jpeg

Here is my recipe:

2 lbs. Velveeta, cubed
2 lbs. breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled (I used hot)
1 package little Smokies
1 8 oz. bag Mexican cheese blend (I used a combination of Mexican Blend and Jalapeño Pepper Jack)
2 10 oz. cans diced tomatoes and green chilies (like Rotel brand)
1 cup pickeled Jalapeño slices
2 TBSP. minced garlic
2 TBSP. minced onion flakes
1/2 cup of beer (you can substitute milk)

Put it all in a disposable pan and smoke 45 minutes to a couple hours depending on your temp and desired smoke level.
Add beer or milk as it cooks to reach desired consistency.
Serve with chips and/or veggie slices or just eat with a spoon.

I also thought this dip would be great as a mac and cheese.

Last edited:
Only one pic, I was distracted that day. First time having company in months, the pic is about 20 minutes into the cook at 275. Same pic 2 times for some reason.
The smoking wood was pecan and cherry.

1 lb of browned beef
1lb of velveeta
1/2 pound of pepper jack
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 whole of each onion and sweet pepper, pan fried for 5 minutes before adding
2 cans of rotel tomatoes while green chilies mostly drained
Malcom’s gringo rub

I added a layer of the gringo rub to the top before the grill. I added that much again half way through. The flavours from that rub were just outstanding for a dish like this. To pick it apart, it was very good just a bit too salty. I added AP rub to the veggies while frying, steak rub to the beef while frying. I should have considered that the condensed soup would be salty. Never thought of it as I have never tried it right from the can before.....I am a “ that soup better be salty kind of guy “ but this was just a bit too much. If I didn’t add any spice to the veggies it would have been spot on I think.

Attachments

• C7084A95-0C43-4C3D-9FFA-D28EED853EBF.jpeg
    C7084A95-0C43-4C3D-9FFA-D28EED853EBF.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 3BFACA6F-3E0A-4863-A588-47C48F026B8B.jpeg
    3BFACA6F-3E0A-4863-A588-47C48F026B8B.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 10
Looks like a variety of cheeses in there - what did you use?
8oz Medium Cheddar
8oz Colby Jack
16 oz Velveeta
8oz Havarti
Full disclosure, I wasn’t happy with the end result, we usually make a velveeta rotel mix in the microwave and I prefer how much creamier that is. This cheese mix thickened pretty much as soon as I pulled it.

Back