Smoked Cajun Chicken on the WSM

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
I brined 2 split chicken breasts and 2 leg quarters for about 5 hours in Oakridge BBQ Game Changer. Chicken was rinsed, dried
off and then seasoned with a mildly hot Cajun Spice mix that I found on All Recipes. I put the chicken back into the refrigerator,
uncovered, for the next 3 hours to let the chicken dry out some and let the spices do their thing.

Here is the recipe for the Cajun seasoning:

INGREDIENTS:
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
DIRECTIONS:
1. Stir together salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes until evenly
blended. Store in an airtight container.

(I needed the Cajun seasoning for the green beans so decided to use it as the rub on the chicken tonight.)

Put onto a 350 degree WSM, using Cowboy lump charcoal and a chunk of cherry wood. Skin side down for the first 30 minutes.

Done after an hour at 350 plus.

Plated with boxed rice and a knock off of Popeye’s green beans.

I got this recipe from popeyesathome.blogspot.

GREEN BEANS
Popeyes Copycat Recipe

1/2 lb. sliced bacon, cut in 1/2 inch strips
1/4 lb. smoked ham, cut in 1/4 inch cubes
2 medium onions, rough chop approximately 3/4 inch cut
1 small bell pepper, rough chop
1/2 stalk celery, medium fine minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stick of butter
1/4 cup flour
3 teaspoons seasoning salt Cajun/Creole (such as Chef Paul Prudhommes, Zatarains or Tony Chachere's available at grocery stores)
1 quart chicken stock
6 cans cut green beans, drained

Saute bacon and ham in butter until bacon is just beginning to reduce size. Add all vegetables cut in 1/4 inch dice to the bacon mixture saute for 15
minutes on medium heat. Add seasoning salt and minced garlic, stir well and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes,
stirring constantly, add chicken stock and bring up to a simmer and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, do not boil, just a simmer. Drain the green beans and
add to the mixture cook for 5 minutes.
[/size]
Chicken was awesome! Great crispy skin and the heat level was just right for us. If you have ever eaten at a Popeyes and had
their green beans this recipe is very close to what they are serving and was delicious!

Thanks for looking!

I'm making a cook book, it's web pages printed of posts started by Mike Coffman. I'm gonna be rich

Thanks Cliff! Yes it sure is. I have two of these large ones and 2 of the smaller ones. They work great!

I thought so. I bought two of each also. The large ones work so great with butts. Makes getting it in and out of the pan so much easier. I haven't seen any off the shelf around here that match their quality and ruggedness. I bought one of his injectors also. Wow, what an upgrade that was over the old syringe style. Thanks for sharing that recipe too.

Back