Smash Burger Utensil

For what it's worth, I press my ground meat between two coffee cup saucers before grilling them, but I do not press the meat on the grilling surface itself. They cook fast without puffing up much.

Last edited:
I think some folks here are missing the point about making smash burgers.
They are not pre-smashed, they are smashed on a griddle, in a skillet, etc., or in the case of most diners, drive-ins, and dives, they're smashed on a flat top.

Isn't Steak & Shake famous for that method?

Isn't Steak & Shake famous for that method?
Since 1934.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thank you Bob, that was exactly what I was thinking.
A smash burger happens on a flattop, a pressed burger is made to shape before hitting the heat.
Smash- shaped while cooking.
Pressed- shaped before cooking.
Which was why I said why not use a CI skillet, it's flattop cooking.
I think I'm out of this one.

Last edited:
The Virtual Weber Gas Grill

Until now, I never noticed the link to this blog; it contains some very informative information. I particularly enjoyed the article Burger Temperature Guide and its panade recipe. My beloved family mandates well-done meat. Heck; I could take beef and chicken to 180 and receive hugs.

Which was why I said why not use a CI skillet

I would think your logic is spot-on--assuming it is small enough to work with one's given real estate--but I am not the most experienced among cooks and I feel it would be simpler for me if I could utilize a single utensil for smashing and lifting ;)

Well enough, now you guys have talked so much about smash burgers I'm going to have to make some for dinner tonight.;). The problem now is, truly what is the correct tool for properly smashing a
burger? So many tools and not enough burgers.

After looking at the video, I can see why this method is popular, but I like the smoke flavor a charcoal grill gives.

After looking at the video, I can see why this method is popular, but I like the smoke flavor a charcoal grill gives.

It's a trade-off between maximum crustification vs. smoke flavor. Smashed burgers aren't going to replace grilled burgers in my repertoire, but they will be added to the rotation. :D

Do you smash experts agree on using a dry platform as opposed to sometimes throwing on a splash of butter on which to grill the burgers?

Butter after removing is how a bar in Milwaukee does it, I've not tried it but, hey, it's Wisconsin... Butter is always better, right? Looks fantastic BTW.
I have used "Maitre d'Hotel butter" as an after on steaks but not on burgers. So, I have no horse in this race.

It's a trade-off between maximum crustification vs. smoke flavor. Smashed burgers aren't going to replace grilled burgers in my repertoire, but they will be added to the rotation. :D

John Solak has been doing these on his kettle, I like your write-up - it just about sent me to the store today to make my own, yours looked fantastic.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?68456-Smash-Burgers

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38710-Smashburger

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?40390-Smash-Burger-Animal-Style

Do you smash experts agree on using a dry platform as opposed to sometimes throwing on a splash of butter on which to grill the burgers?
According to the Serious Eats article, you want no oil on the surface of the griddle or pan. This encourages the meat to stick to the surface, enhancing crustification.

I must admit, I'd like to try this on the stove burner, but I'll have to use the bottom of a cast iron skillet to flatten it out. Hope the skillet bottom ain't crusty.

I must admit, I'd like to try this on the stove burner, but I'll have to use the bottom of a cast iron skillet to flatten it out. Hope the skillet bottom ain't crusty.
I've done this. Cast iron skilled inverted over the big burner on a gas stove. Worked great, just have the vent fan set to HIGH!

Here's a link to the ones I like to do. It doesn't replace a thick juicy burger but that crust adds so much flavor. What I didn't add is the recipe for our special sauce....takes it to a whole nuther level. The neighbors go crazy when I make these.

To keep them uniform, I use a cookie dough/ice cream scooper. This also makes a nice flat bottom to put on the grill when making the crust on the first side.

The greasy spoon I was trying to replicate, is a local dive called Hickies, named after the owner, Don Hickman. I remember him breaking spatulas and bringing them in to the hardware store to have one of the guys weld them back and start making some for him. Smash 'em flat enough that you can see the grease starting to come through the holes!!! haha

I'll post pics of the spatulas I use. My father-in-law had these. I thought he was crazy for some of the stuff he owned but he liked things like this and would pick them up at the flea market.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56...Mojoe-Griddle-inspired&highlight=smash+burger

edit:
The special sauce recipe.....unreal, man, unreal....You won't want to buy a burger at a restaurant ever again.....

1/2 cup mayo or miracle whip..we use mayo
1 tablespoon of sweet pickle relish, use juice too!
2 1/2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
1 tablespoon sugar (to taste- I like it a little on the sweet side)
1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, shred thinly, do not mix into sauce until right before you serve it

be prepared for your guests and family to beg for these!!

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the ones I use. I only use the one with holes to scrape the burger off when it sticks to the flat one. These are tough as nails when smashing...

*the butter is for toasting the buns.....kicks it up another notch.....You can also buy the seasoning from Steak and Shake and I think from Frishe's Big Boy.....But, really, I just like S&P....

The brand:

Smash burgers on the black stone

Last edited:

Back