Smash Burger Utensil

I cleaned and seasoned my grandmother's cast iron clothes iron and use it for my smash burgers. It is a strange way to be reminded of her when grilling. It can be heated on the grill and used on top of certain meats as a press.

Excellent! Love this idea.

John's stainless steel smasher from Craycort seems very nice. I've always balked at the price but it is a real nice piece of utensil. I might just order one.

I use an old round bacon press that is flat on the bottom and burger paper that I got off eBay. I use my Baking Steel on my Genesis and they come out terrific!

I plan on making smash burgers this weekend for the grand kids on my 36" Blackstone,will have some bacon and griddled onions also,the burgers always come off the griddle more juicy than the grill when I have to cook them well done for the wife.If I try to take to the same level on the grills its a fine line between just rite and hockey puck but have more leeway on the griddle due to all the juices not falling to the bottom of the grill ! hope every body has some great cooks this summer

I never smash a burger. I do put an indentation in the center of the burger to help it not puff up but prefer to let all the juices stay in the burger. I cook high heat maybe 2 minutes a side depending on thickness, I aiming for juicy, med rare burger.

It's all about the timing. As long as you smash early enough in the cooking process, you lose very little juices. That's why burgers at Smashburger are not the least bit dry.

Why smash a perfectly good burger? Its just a fad.

Because when meat browns, a chemical reaction takes place that creates a lot of flavor (there's a science to this, called the Malliard reaction, I think). Smashing a burger, increases the surface area of the burger that comes into contact with the heat source, thus more browning, thus more flavor.

Because when meat browns, a chemical reaction takes place that creates a lot of flavor (there's a science to this, called the Malliard reaction, I think). Smashing a burger, increases the surface area of the burger that comes into contact with the heat source, thus more browning, thus more flavor.

I will say that when I recently made smashed burgers for the first time, I was impressed with how much browning I got, more than I've ever had on a burger before. It has to do with how thin the burger is, how ripping hot the griddle is, and that the surface was not lubricated, so the burger literally sticks to the surface and creates more browning.

Fad? Maybe. Tasty? Yes. Will I make them again? Yes, already planning smashed burgers for July 4.

17VUEDH.jpg

.. already planning smashed burgers for July 4.

Chris - I've used the Dexter 1515 a couple times whose link you provided a few weeks ago and--while I don't have the grilling experience shared by you and others--it has worked beautifully for me. Using it on a 2 oz ball I use it as my sole utensil from smashing to plating. There is no flex and once I see the patty's edge creep just beyond the spatula surface it has formed a perfect size.

So, these griddles have no melted fat to speak of before smashing a burger? Is there an ideal size for the meatball, or does it matter?

Since charcoal doesn't play a flavor factor in these burgers, I suppose one could used an electric griddle for a frying surface.

Last edited:
Chris did 2oz patties above and making doubles, I was making 4oz patties before and had to try Chris' way.

works with any size, but getting it thin ( <1/4" or so ) seems to be key. I've been portioning by weight (yesterday), or sometimes just take the weight on the package & split it into what I think'd be a good size (1/4, 1/3, 1/2#).

My normal way when I don't smash which is most of the time, is I'll lay out a small sheet of foil & smash & shape the raw patties, leave them stuck on it, s&p the meat, walk out & dump the patties on the grill, or dump into a skillet on the stove.

So, these griddles have no melted fat to speak of before smashing a burger? Is there an ideal size for the meatball, or does it matter?

Since charcoal doesn't play a flavor factor in these burgers, I suppose one could used an electric griddle for a frying surface.

See my write-up for all the details: Smashed Burgers on a Weber Gas Grill

Not sure if an electric griddle will get as hot as a cast iron griddle on a 600*F Summit gas grill. I would not want to make these burgers indoors, too much smoke.

Why smash a perfectly good burger? Its just a fad.
Sure it is, just like all those hipsters doing BBQ. :rolleyes:

Just throwing this out there in case anyone is interested... When I make "smash burgers", I make them "east coast" style (or at least that's what I call it as this is how most of the diners in NJ did them when I was growing up)... use White American cheese instead of Yellow American (major change in flavor) and I also add sauteed onions that I do right on the griddle with the burgers.

I like all sorts of burgers but "smash burgers" are one of my favorites (brings back childhood memories I guess?). I have a 23yo nephew who doesn't like burgers except for my smash burgers. To each their own but everybody should try one at least once. It may not end up being your favorite but it's a quick and easy alternative, especially when feeding lots of people which is why diners and other "fast food" type places started doing it.

I've only recently discovered smash burgers and I love em. Maybe they are hipster. I donno. I like how the meat n cheese fuse together better.

I hate to admit this hipster thing I signed up for 3 months ago. I got this box on Friday and used them all for a smashburger session this Sunday.

- This spatula made things easier because it's quite sharp and angled at the bottom. It's also very thick and does not flex too much which made it easy to smash too.
- Had 5 modelos with a shot of the cocktail mix
- the cast iron press was big enough for even the largest 1/8 lb patties I had
- and that chipotle ketchup was dam good too

I made so many of them the only challenge was keeping the cast iron plate hot enough after about 6 burgers (12 small patties 2 at a time. It was blazing hot for the first 5, but after a while it starts cooling down since the grill is open the entire time you're cooking. Next time I'll also do the bacon in a separate cast iron skillet.

https://www.bespokepost.com/box/cookout (This is NOT a plug, i promise, just to show what I used)

cookout-1-family.jpg

q3kiOjHxIhyQD6XX9Y3ID2CjOi_A2WgWjAm5n2z3KI68Siv8aIgBnbRjJjHunTNpUA4-yAL3M8lHsegNHkG_GXuduRVQRFIjtq0sYwcTEkaR_T5g_f0w55KfhIPsVpo_SC4wLwHR_SA=w377-h670-no

Last edited:

Back