Shopping and Social Distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on this topic since the Covid-19 thread is getting rather long, so here goes.

Went up to the Rogue Valley area since we needed groceries and stopped at 4 places.

Trader Joe's: They're limiting the amount of people in the store and have a line outside with 6 foot partitions, etc. They also had a bottle of hand sanitizer available for people to clean their hands before being allowed to enter the store. A couple of employees were outside sanitizing the shopping carts and the hand held baskets. And then they would ask you if you wanted a cart or a basket. You had to wait until someone exited the store before being allowed in. Inside the store nearly all the employees were wearing masks and about 50% of the customers appeared to be wearing them. They had the 6 foot partitions at each checkout line and you had to wait until the person ahead of you was done with their transaction and leaving. They are taking this seriously and look to be on top of it.

Costco: LONG line outside the store and no actual partitions so the 6 foot distance is largely self-regulating. People were adhering to it so they're at least paying attention. As far as entering the store, same thing as Trader Joe's. A couple employees were cleaning the carts and they are regulating the number of people being allowed in the store at a time, etc. Inside the store it looked like roughly half the employees were wearing masks and about 25% of the customers appeared to be wearing them. The store looked to be well-stocked and they did have a list posted outside the entrance stating what items were currently out of stock. As you can guess it was all cleaning-sanitizing stuff. The meat dept was fully stocked as was everything else with the exception of cleaning stuff. In case you're wondering, the TP is fully stocked. They probably have a limit on the number you can buy at one time, but we didn't need any so I didn't check. They do have the Kingsford Professional twin packs in stock but they're at full price.

As expected, the food sample kiosks are gone. The food court has a VERY limited selection. Basically just the Hot Dog lunch combo, sodas, and whole pizza for take out only. That's it. The tables where folks could sit and eat are gone.

They have the 6 foot partitions at each checkout line and there were several employees directing you to what line to use and there was someone enforcing the social distancing at the checkout area too. Unfortunately there are some idiots who are not getting this. One person decided to get cute and try a shortcut to find the shortest line and dammed near knocked loose one of the fire extinguishers in the process.

The checkout procedure was the same as Trader Joe's you had to wait until the person ahead of you was done with their unloading and checkout before you could start.

Safeway: Seemed pretty lax compared to Trader Joe's and Costco. They're not regulating the number of people in the store. Can't comment on how well stocked they were since I just went in to get some chinese food for dinner. They did have the 6 foot partitions in place at each checkout line.

Winco: They're not regulating the number of people in the store, though they have reduced the number of shopping carts available and they are sanitizing them. Sort of. The person who was cleaning the carts would spray on the sanitizing stuff and then immediately wipe it off. You need to wait a little longer before doing that. Maybe 20% of the customers at most were wearing masks. They did have the 6 foot partitions in place at each checkout line, but it was clear that some of the customers are acting like idiots since the lady at the cash register where I checked out said to me "Thank you for following the social distancing rules. There are some shoppers who are not getting this".

The store was well stocked with the exception of cleaning supplies. This seems to be a common theme right now. How much cleaning supplies do you really need? Costco has stated that they are NOT accepting returns on cleaning supplies so if someone decided to hord it, they're stuck with it.

One thing to mention is that with stores like Trader Joe's and Costco limiting the number of shoppers at a time, it will take longer to get your shopping done, so plan accordingly.

I didn't stop at Lowes or HD so can't comment on how things are inside at either place.

Yesterday I was behind 2 women as they went into the grocery store. I waited outside while they got their carts and went through the sanitizing process, but before they were finished a 3rd woman walked past me into the entryway, walked between the 2 other women, got her cart and walked between them AGAIN on her way into the store. She didn't bother to do any kind of sanitizing.

This was my 2nd visit to this particular store since the suggestions/restrictions went into place, and both times I've noticed plenty of oblivious people not observing the 6-foot rule, having face-to-face conversations with friends they run into, etc. And the majority of them seemed to be senior citizens, too! I dunno...maybe they're taking risks because they want to be sure there's enough Social Security money for me when my time comes?

I don't know if Larry David actually coined the term but he's the first I've heard use it, so he gets credit: "covidiots". There are a lot of them out there.

Sadly Brad, some people are simply that “entitled”, that sort of arrogance really makes me, sad. I’d say angry but, now is not the time for anger, it’s a time for tolerance. I will be venturing out for some supplies in the next couple of days and will mask and, glove up before exiting my car. Just to be considerate, which is all we can really ask for but, there will always be someone who must be more needy (or simply an idiot) with no social skills. I plan on buying as wisely as I can and to not need to leave the boundaries of my own property lines for another two weeks with any luck. I think this pharmacy run will be all I need to do for a month so, there is one spot I will not miss.
As long as we are courteous and maintain some semblance of kindness, we should all get through this and live to tell the story.
Be nice to each other.

Definitely a lot of "covidiots out there for sure.

For those who shop at WinCo keep in mind that they are no longer open 24hrs a day. I think they're open until 10:30 PM and then open at 7:00 AM with the first 90 minutes reserved for folks 60 or older.

Definitely a lot of "covidiots out there for sure.

For those who shop at WinCo keep in mind that they are no longer open 24hrs a day. I think they're open until 10:30 PM and then open at 7:00 AM with the first 90 minutes reserved for folks 60 or older.

Covidiots. I like it, and will be borrowing that!

Went shopping for my parents last week. Used Latex gloves lying ALL OVER the parking lot. Covidiots.
Store wasn't crowded at all, they had some water & only "natural" tp - whatever that means. They had the 6 foot marks on the floor at the registers, which the entitled guy behind us ignored as we were checking out. The cashier shooed him away for us. She was definitely stressed doing her job & having to be the safety police as well. I felt bad for her but were very much appreciative for her efforts.

Tried to stop at Sam's yesterday. They had long line outside. One person out one in. I wasn't going to deal with that nonsense. So went to Costco instead. Fairly normal except for separation announcements every 2 min, tape all over the floors. Pretty well stocked. Lots of TP don't recall seeing a limit. They had vinyl gloves which I bought a package for gassing up, keeping my good gloves for my work, plenty of meats, no sanitizers anywhere, not a drop of regular old chlorine bleach to be found either. Wife is running low. I was able to get in and out in about 8 minutes. Much more pleasant experience that line nonsense at Sam's. I get the whole separation thing but Covidiocy can work both ways :D

I stopped at Microcenter (electronics outlet) in the southwestern Twin Cities metro 10 days ago. There was a well behaved line of 50+ people waiting to get in, and only a couple of people every 5-10 minutes. That math ain't pretty. What I wanted to pick up was not an immediate priority, fortunately.

Before my son and wife got me to stop going to the grocery store every few days during senior hours, I found that for the most part people were being compliant with the new rules about separation. In some of the older stores of the same chain, the separation could be difficult due to narrow isles compared to newer stores built in the last 10 years. Like my son who is a pharmacist, the cashiers at these stores have spotty protection even with the plexiglass shields, gloves, and now masks. I got caught the other day at an Albertsons at 9am when everything came to a halt for a cleaning. They did a thorough job on the belts, sides of check stands, card scanners, etc. A few people were impatient, but held their 6ft. positions with the floor markings. Kudos to all of them, especially to Barb Dahl for doing a necessary job. We are trying our first parking lot pickup this Wednesday at a Smith's. It was a week out in the scheduling, but amendable until Tuesday morning. It will be interesting to see what we get!

The main stress I'm starting to feel is getting groceries without going into a store.
Walmart pick up and delivery has no openings, I shopped delivery from Target but upon check out no openings today or tomorrow, just like WM.
I tried Instacart once, they didn't come through.

Just got home from “geezer hour” shopping. Things seem to be improving at my regular Meijer store, I had found some sanding masks which I’d gotten quite a while ago and used one of them as much for other people’s concerns as my own. Almost every one was wearing something to be safer. Staff was mostly not wearing anything, one guy who was very pleasant and chatty was talking about how he’s basically playing Russian roulette as he’s diabetic and handling so many boxes and so forth but, like I said, he was very upbeat, helped me feel like things were at least pleasant.
As long as we remember that we need to be kind a d pleasant to one another we will get through this as quickly as possible.

We've done instacart for the last 3 weeks, scheduled delivery time has varied from a few hours to a few days but so far it's been on time. Results probably vary with the nearest store. I'm not buying meat from them though.

I sucked it up, wore a medical mask and hit our smallish local Save A Lot store a few minutes ago. It's in a fairly rural area.
Got there when they opened at 9 (new later hours for them} only about 5 other shoppers.
Pretty well stocked, bought most everything on my list. Gave everything a wipe down with Clorox wipes before storing.
It's not real easy breathing through the mask, thought I might hyperventilate a time or two. :)

Delivery services are booked out to 2 weeks and more here. Not even a large metro. At least IMO I hardly consider Rockford IL or even Winnebago Cty IL as a large metro. The entire county only has about 250k people. Compare to Crook County IL which holds something like 80% of the population of IL of just shy of 13 million.

I haven't been to a store in 20+ days, but Barb is in one from 6-8 hours almost every day. I hate it, but I understand her feelings. It's amazing not one of the Safeway store employees has bailed. Just imagen if all these part time and full time employees bailed out of their jobs to be safe at home.
No food, no nothing.

While working at the airlines I worked through various "plagues". Honestly if I could I would be doing it now. This would not stop me. I would not go in sick, but I would be right there on the front lines with my co-workers

My Wife went to WM today and noticed the one way aisles. She liked it. Hardly any one in the lot or store, but it was well stocked.
Bought a few Home Run Inn pizzas on sale and some spareribs. Only hamburger they had was the tube. Plenty of dairy, not much on paper, but she did grab a 3 pack of Puffs.( our noses needed that with all the allergies and the farmers fertilizing/turning the fields out here)(y)

Tim

I was pleased to find fresh ground beef today, it's been on my list for a long time.
They had different lean/fat ratios from 75/25 to 93/17.
No one way aisles, but a single lane to the registers with X's marked on the floor for spacing.
Plexiglas shields for the clerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back