Sardines like 'em or hate 'em?

I finally tried a can of King Oscar Boneless Skinless sardines in olive oil (packaged in Morocco), and they were not bad at all. A bit better than Season brand I'd say.

I like them occasionally. It seems to me (and it's just a gut feeling 🙄) that sardines, many years ago, were smaller and better quality. Now most of the cans I open have maybe 4 fish that are much bigger than the sardines of yore. When I was in high school, a typical lunch on a fishing trip would be a couple of cans of sardines and some saltines (aka soda crackers where I grew up). If we didn't have sardines, Vienna sausages or potted meat would do (as long as you didn't read the ingredients).

I like them occasionally. It seems to me (and it's just a gut feeling 🙄) that sardines, many years ago, were smaller and better quality. Now most of the cans I open have maybe 4 fish that are much bigger than the sardines of yore. When I was in high school, a typical lunch on a fishing trip would be a couple of cans of sardines and some saltines (aka soda crackers where I grew up). If we didn't have sardines, Vienna sausages or potted meat would do (as long as you didn't read the ingredients).
Try King Oscar sardines, they're pretty small, tender, lightly smoked, and tasty.
Yep, fishing trips meant Vienna sausages on gummy white bread for lunch. Or we'd stop at a rural small grocery store and buy a loaf of bread, a jar of mustard, and some sliced bologna. Wash it down with an RC cola.
Here's the KO in EVOO:

1621551171506.png

My most expensive tin of sardines to date, $6.66.
Woot recently had a deal on Jose Gourmet brand from Portugal. Four different tins of sardines, one tuna, and one mackerel, all 6 for $40. Each normally runs $9 to $10 each.
This one was with tomato sauce, not a favorite style, but these were very good with a dab of Tabasco on each.

1621786954996.png

1621786983259.png

My most expensive tin of sardines to date, $6.66.
Woot recently had a deal on Jose Gourmet brand from Portugal. Four different tins of sardines, one tuna, and one mackerel, all 6 for $40. Each normally runs $9 to $10 each.
This one was with tomato sauce, not a favorite style, but these were very good with a dab of Tabasco on each.

View attachment 28601

View attachment 28602
Thanks for starting this thread. It’s quite enjoyable!

I tried giving our cat a tin of leftover juice, but she tried to cover it up instead. o_O

I thought cats liked the smell of fish.

Chris,
If you see where someone ordered 15 jars of sardines, on sale for Prime Day, you probably know who it was. ;) Normally $35.99 for $28.79. Sorry, no link because I have to log off Amazon in order to post the TVWBB link.

Riga Gold Smoked Brisling Sardines in Oil 3.53 ounce (Pack of 15)​

Heads up sardine lovers, or those wanting to try them.
Costco has $3 off a 6 pack of Season skinless boneless in olive oil through Aug. 29.
These are darn good, a bit dry compared to regular sardines, very tuna like IMO.
Not sure what their current regular price is until I get there this week.

1628541707697.png

Heads up sardine lovers, or those wanting to try them.
Costco has $3 off a 6 pack of Season skinless boneless in olive oil through Aug. 29.
These are darn good, a bit dry compared to regular sardines, very tuna like IMO.
Not sure what their current regular price is until I get there this week.

View attachment 34456
Bob, report back on the price might pick some of these up this week. Wife would puke but used to eat them with my father who passed away a long time ago. Not eaten them since.

Back