RIP, Henry Aaron

Totally agree with you, Brad. I loved Henry Aaron's homeruns. Over the fence because of fantastic hand eye coordination and timing and normal human strength--not out of the park juiced on steroids.

Hank... I am a Wille Mays devote. I still thing he was the best ever. When talking HRs, Candlestock part was the worst stadium in baseball to hit a ho,e run in, Mays hit 440 there.....

Looking back, it's hard to believe I was a subscriber to Sports Illustrated when I was 11 years old.
And were already being referred to as "Mister", no less! ;) I was a The Sporting News guy, myself.

The first baseball game I ever went to was the Braves against the Cubs on June 2, 1973 and he struck out as a pinch-hitter in the 9th. The first White Sox game I ever went to was against the Brewers in Milwaukee on August 29, 1976 but he never got off the bench. Those were the only times I ever had a chance to see a team with Hank Aaron on the roster.

The 755 HR are impressive enough but he also had 3016 hits that didn't cover 4 bases. Stan Musial (pretty decent in his own right) is the only other legitimate power hitter (475 HR) with 3000+ non-homer hits, and I don't see this 2-player club adding new members any time soon.

The only thing I didn't like about Hank, was he didn't wear a Cardinals uniform.
Hank admired Stan The Man when he was growing up, they later became good friends.
Both were highly esteemed by me, and their baseball cards cherished.
I did see The Man play in person, once, but never Hank.

1611523888908.png

A shining example of how the game is played, both on and off the field. One of my childhood heroes and someone I always looked up to while growing up. RIP, Hank.

Back