Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

It's interesting to see others that have the same experience as me with airports!
When I was a kid, the national guard was based at the airport. It was pretty common to see c130's going over the house with 1 engine shut down. I once saw a bizjet brush the top of a tree in the neighbors yard behind our house (further from the airport!).
And there has been quite a few crashes all around the neighborhood.
Probably the most memorable one was back in the 70's: If the winds shifted, the planes would take off over the house. One night we were watching "bowling for dollars", when the power went out & a loud crash. We ran outside to find a plane tail sticking out of the neighbors front window. The plane lost power, the pilot tried to make it to a parallel street (hence hitting the neighbors house instead of ours), went through the power lines & some orange trees & slid in the front window. A group of guys were in the room getting ready to leave when the plane came in. On guy had just walked out the front door & "jumped" the wing as it came by. Another was pinned against the fireplace by the plane. Nobody was seriously hurt. The pilot stepped out of the plane (into the living room) & said, "I'm sorry"!
Back then, they'd take the wreckage, plop it down on a dirt patch right next to the airport (& street for everybody to see! ) to determine what caused the crash. They found out that the pilot had serviced his plane that day & left a rag under "the hood". It got sucked into the engine & caused the engine to die.

OK,I’m trying to find a 1/6 size 6” deep perforated steam table pan (2 actually) but, I’m not having any luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

I live in the flight path of Luke Air Force Base and the bombing range and hardly hear them all those the new Jets are louder than the F16, what will get my attention is a Radial engine, they had an air show years back that had a fly in of WW2 planes that flew right over my house!

Then there was the time a plane lost power & slid it into a neighbor's backyard 2 doors down from my parents, (the houses are on acre lots) with the orange trees stopping him. Again, nobody was hurt, but nobody heard it either. The pilot gets out of the plane, but he's trapped in a backyard... So he knocks on the backdoor. The homeowner having heard nothing & wondering why someone is knocking on his BACK door, greeted the pilot with a shotgun pointed at his head lol.

One trip to the hardware store, two trips to Lowe's and one to Wally World, and countless trips under the sink, but the leak under our kitchen sink is fixed!
We also have a new disposal!
AND, the Thanksgiving day dishes are finally done!!

Actually, Phil's two trips to the hardware store are nearly optimal...... the first buys everything in the plumbing aisle, the second returns what he didn't use. :D

‪Hey kids, remember to knock the dishwasher drain plug out of the garbage disposal BEFORE you install the stinking thing!🤬🤬🤬
‪I was wondering why the damn dishwasher wasn’t draining!‬
‪But it never leaked, so there’s that! 🙄
And I STILL need to return that part to Lowe’s! 🤣😂

I had to re plumb a toilet once, went down the hill to the little guy old school hardware store.
“Ah, plumbing...3 trips!” Cut off the feed line too short(1/4”) so, that was a second trip, then something else went sideways and I sent my wife for whatever it was and I told her to say “This is three!” She said the guys laughed until they had tears in their eyes! I went in the next day to thank them for the support and was glad I could be the butt of their joke!
I really miss that little store!

‪Hey kids, remember to knock the dishwasher drain plug out of the garbage disposal BEFORE you install the stinking thing!🤬🤬🤬
‪I was wondering why the damn dishwasher wasn’t draining!‬
‪But it never leaked, so there’s that! 🙄
And I STILL need to return that part to Lowe’s! 🤣😂
Don't feel bad I've done that twice. 😤😤

I recently paid our local handy man $35.00 to replace our kitchen faucet. Now that I'm in my 70s the doctor bill would have been three time that if I got my carcass down under that sink.
I really like the guy, does quality work and always cleans his work area up when finished, also uses the same cus words I do when something isn't going right.

Don't feel bad I've done that twice. 😤😤
Jason, my neighbor said that the plumber he hired to replace his garbage disposal did the SAME thing!
I recently paid our local handy man $35.00 to replace our kitchen faucet. Now that I'm in my 70s the doctor bill would have been three time that if I got my carcass down under that sink.
I really like the guy, does quality work and always cleans his work area up when finished, also uses the same cus words I do when something isn't going right.
I'm 59, and it still took all Saturday and most of Sunday to get over all of the multiple trips under the @#%$(&% ! sink!

Jason, my neighbor said that the plumber he hired to replace his garbage disposal did the SAME thing!

I'm 59, and it still took all Saturday and most of Sunday to get over all of the multiple trips under the @#%$(&% ! sink!

Phil, I just use that as the excuse to the wife not to do chores for two days. Seems to work and I sometimes get some sympathy as well. (Only Sometimes) 😆

Back at the end of June we moved into a house built in 1938. The kitchen faucet, old wall mount one, was leaking on the hot side during the inspection, and the owners had a plumber in to fix it before we closed. About a week after we moved in, it started leaking again, and we had a different plumber fix that. Then a couple of months later, the cold water wouldn't shut off, so we had a different plumber out to fix that (the cartridge had fallen apart and needed reassembled). A couple of months later that happened again, but having watched the plumber do it the last time, I fixed it myself. A little later the hot wouldn't shut off and after I fixed that one, I ordered a new faucet all together (it actually took me a while to find one that fit that wasn't $600+).

At first I was worried about it being a wall mount (I've replaced counter mounted ones before), as I assumed it would be difficult simply based on the difficulty in finding one we liked, that was the right size, and didn't cost a small fortune. But not having to crawl under the sink to do the work was really quite nice. I did not need any trips to the hardware store and I didn't have to stoop over once (much less crawl under the sink).

Replacing a sink-mounted kitchen faucet is one of the worst household repair jobs there is! I repaired my faucet a few years ago and it's started leaking a little bit again, but the sink's showing its age so if the faucet is done for I'm going to replace both of them. And with a drop-in sink, not a rimless one...I've been through that as well!;)

At first I was worried about it being a wall mount (I've replaced counter mounted ones before), as I assumed it would be difficult simply based on the difficulty in finding one we liked, that was the right size, and didn't cost a small fortune.
Yea, wall mounted faucets in our climate are kinda iffy if mounted on an exterior wall. Pipes are buried in the wall and your only relying on insulation to keep the pipes from freezing on sub zero days. When I lived in Chicago we had a few apartments that had those. I usually let the water trickle on cold nights.
And retro looking fixtures are sky high esp the old look wall mounts. I think you could thank Joanna Gaines for that because she came up with the idea of mounting a wall mount faucet over the kitchen stove. ( really a neat idea)!!

Replacing a sink-mounted kitchen faucet is one of the worst household repair jobs there is! I repaired my faucet a few years ago and it's started leaking a little bit again, but the sink's showing its age so if the faucet is done for I'm going to replace both of them. And with a drop-in sink, not a rimless one...I've been through that as well!;)
My Grandfather and Parents owned apartment buildings in Chicago. I did a lot of plumbing repairs and a basin cock wrench is what you need for under sink installs.
1606856215946.png

Yea, wall mounted faucets in our climate are kinda iffy if mounted on an exterior wall. Pipes are buried in the wall and your only relying on insulation to keep the pipes from freezing on sub zero days. When I lived in Chicago we had a few apartments that had those. I usually let the water trickle on cold nights.
And retro looking fixtures are sky high esp the old look wall mounts. I think you could thank Joanna Gaines for that because she came up with the idea of mounting a wall mount faucet over the kitchen stove. ( really a neat idea)!!
Well, crap...I hadn't considered the freezing part of that yet. I can see from the basement where the pipes run up. I'll have to take a closer look at that to see what we're dealing with. The alarm system has a temp sensor in the basement that's supposed to go off if it gets too cold to protect the pipes, but that thing isn't IN the wall...

Well, crap...I hadn't considered the freezing part of that yet. I can see from the basement where the pipes run up. I'll have to take a closer look at that to see what we're dealing with. The alarm system has a temp sensor in the basement that's supposed to go off if it gets too cold to protect the pipes, but that thing isn't IN the wall...
Yea the joys of living in a old house. You said 1938 so I would assume the pipes are galvanized or redun with copper or something else?

Back