Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

Up here in MN, self draining exterior hose bibs are mandatory, and do not leave a hose connected even if you think it'll drain (hint: it won't.) There's several inches of insulation between loaded pipe and the outside wall, and once the temp gets down to about -10 to -15 F, I'm trickling taps on outside walls.

Yea, in our zone code requires 3 1/2" or R-13 behind supply lines. Older houses you just have to deal with.

I change my cars' oils outside on the driveway, and today's was the first December change I actually enjoyed - low 50s, sunny, and just a light breeze.

Yep just got in from cutting the grass down to winter height and chopping up the remaining leaves. Was nice to be driving around the yard on the little Honda. And in shorts and tennies

I had one of those 6 in 1 screwdrivers from Lowe's
I dropped it a while back and the handle broke!
I gathered up the pieces and held on to them until I got a chance to take it back for a replacement with their "No hassle" warranty
I remembered to grab it this morning and and went into a Lowe's on my route during lunch
I went to the return desk and the young lady said, "Sure. Leave that here and go get another one"
I went and fetched the replacement screwdriver and she scanned the tag on the new one, then had me sign the receipt
She then took out a gift card, processed that for the amount of the replacement, then used it to "pay" for the new one?
No hassle for me other than to go get a new one, but wow, that was a lot of steps for a replacement!

I live in the flight path of Luke Air Force Base and the bombing range and hardly hear them all those the new Jets are louder than the F16, what will get my attention is a Radial engine, they had an air show years back that had a fly in of WW2 planes that flew right over my house!

A lone F-35 flew over my house and, based on the noise, I thought it was going to be a 4 ship flyover .

You’re right about them being a lot louder than an F-16.

Interesting on the aircraft noise....

Some time around 1992, I was standing on the outside deck of a house on Lake Michigan north of Cross Village, MI, when 4 A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft (aka Warthogs,) passed overhead. They were at (or below....) the legal minimum, and if we hadn't been looking in the right direction, they'd have been passed before we heard them. Easy to see how they can be very effective at close air support.

Interesting on the aircraft noise....

Some time around 1992, I was standing on the outside deck of a house on Lake Michigan north of Cross Village, MI, when 4 A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft (aka Warthogs,) passed overhead. They were at (or below....) the legal minimum, and if we hadn't been looking in the right direction, they'd have been passed before we heard them. Easy to see how they can be very effective at close air support.
No doubt that you could hear them it's just that you couldn't tell which way they were coming from, when I was stationed in West Germany in the 80s we had them flying around during big exercises low and slow!

Seriously, we were standing on the deck shooting the breeze in a light wind, when we realized they were almost directly overhead, and we never heard them approach. They were so close that we couldn't see the pilot/cockpit, just the nose & underbelly. Oh, and that big freakin' GAU8 cannon pointing out of the nose.

Seriously, we were standing on the deck shooting the breeze in a light wind, when we realized they were almost directly overhead, and we never heard them approach. They were so close that we couldn't see the pilot/cockpit, just the nose & underbelly. Oh, and that big freakin' GAU8 cannon pointing out of the nose.
Brrrrtttt!

Before I retired I spent the last 12 years working on high rises in downtown Chicago.
When they did the practice runs for the Air and Water show the fly byes always freaked the hell out of us on the upper floors.
Like was said upthread, you never heard them coming, and then BAM!

I have 2 basic rules in life, Murphy's Law and The Golden Rule.
Treat people right, but things are gonna go downhill sooner or later

We have a 22 cu. ft. fridge and while it's nice around the holidays, for a good portion of the year it's more space than we need. I was just upstairs looking at it (snacking on leftover bacon, actually) and I had this great idea:

The modular expandable refrigerator. It's the same depth as most fridges but shorter and with a removable top, which is in place when the regular capacity is enough. However, for those times when more capacity is needed the top is replaced by a section that has its own door and shelving...kind of like the top half of a separate fridge! Then after the holidays or whatever this extension's removed and the top gets put back in place, taking the fridge down to its standard capacity.

Obviously the freezer unit would have to be on the bottom, and I think that the idea of WSM stacker rings had a subconscious effect on this idea. But I think it could legitimately work, although it'd probably be a bit pricey.

Back