Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

That's great to hear Phil. I'm just glad I'm out of the corporate world. I had to retire 5 years earlier than I wanted too because the corporation I worked for said to us that had over 30 years of service if we didn't our pensions would be cut in half. Thank you so much AT&T.

That’s horrible! They shouldn’t be allowed to do crap like that.
Pammi and I had to push our retirement back a year so that I will be fully vested in my new 401k.
Well, I had to push mine back. She’s still saying that she’s going to retire in 4.
Speaking of pensions, Pammi is going to get a pretty good one from NC whenever she retires. She’s also going to get $300 a month from Arkansas and I’m going to get about $250 or so from Exide.
I could take it now and get about $175 a month or, I could wait until I’m 65 and take about $300 a month.
I’m going to wait until I retire to claim as much as possible.

How cool is this from 1951?!

5265518050_a94e558387_z.jpg

Looks like something that could have been designed for RV use. It would be neat to find one of those and somehow incorporate it into an outdoor kitchen.

Now that's a multitasker. Can't figure out why they have a can of Campbell's soup in the fridge?

Tim

After copying the picture and enlarging it I don't think that's a Campbells soup can. The picture gets real grainy but it doesn't look like a Campbells can.

Rich:
Your retirement from AT&T sounds just like they did to friends I knew in RI & MA. Fortunately, you got to keep something. I had another friend who worked for United Airlines for over 3 decades, was forced to buy company stock which became worthless only to have UA go bankrupt and dump their pension to the Feds who promptly cut their pension by a little over 50%. My municipality tried a similar tactic by reducing pension benefits. When the top 20% of the department bailed on short notice due to people protecting what they had earned over decades, the politicians went from crowing about how they had beat the union and reduced pensions to moaning about the overtime since they had not planned for anyone leaving. The fact they had to pay out lump sums of cash for earned sick and vacation time created a mini-fiscal crisis since the cash was gone half way thru the fiscal year. Not sure which is worse, politicians or big corporations.

And now for something completely different...My wife has decided that we need to move sometime in the not too distant future; a mix of wanting to live in a specific area and wanting another bedroom. It's not the "hey, we're moving" thing (yet), it's more the "let's get our house listable and see what's available then" kind of a thing. We have, however gone to look at a few houses for sale in said neighborhood with our realtor.

I am the one that cooks 95% of the time in our family, so I always look closely at the kitchens. But I have found that as we are touring these homes, once we get through the general tour and my wife is talking to the realtor, I go snooping around outside looking for proximity of doors near the kitchen that might lead to the places out back that would best house my grills. I'm literally factoring in where the grills would sit and how I would get uncooked food and supplies from the kitchen to the grills, and the cooked food back to the dining room or to wherever our outdoor tables might sit as a major factor in how much I might consider buying a house. One that we both liked quite a bit (it's sold since then so no luck), I told her we would have to install a door from the back of the garage to the back yard if we moved in there. I'm not sure this is normal, but I just can't help it.

I, partially at least, blame this site for that.

So, I got to do the good Samaritan thing today.
I stopped in a random parking lot to have lunch.
As soon as I turned the truck off, an elderly gentleman fell in the parking lot, not 10' from the truck! He didn't hit his head, just kind of over onto his side.
A younger guy and I rushed over to him and asked if he was ok, which he said he was.
I asked him if he could stand, and he said yes, so the young guy and I helped him to his feet.
He repeated that he was ok, and I told him that I was just going to help him to his car, which was right there.
I asked him again if he was ok when we got to his car. He said that he was, he just moved too fast!
I laughed gently, told him to slow down and stayed there until he got in his car and drove off.
I hope that someone will do this for me, and laugh with me, if this ever happens to me!

There are still good people in the world. You are one of them. I think karma may play a role if you are ever in a situation where you need help.

I ordered an Instant Pot Friday, a steamer basket and springform pan for it yesterday, all from Amazon.
Delivery date was to be tomorrow. The IP came yesterday, and the other two items today.
I'm sure the items are so popular that they were all in stock locally.

I ordered an Instant Pot Friday, a steamer basket and springform pan for it yesterday, all from Amazon.
Delivery date was to be tomorrow. The IP came yesterday, and the other two items today.

I keep reading threads about the amazing insta pot. At first I thought it was just some kind of new fangled pressure cooker. But it keeps coming up. I'm wondering if it's the next (To me) greatest do it all gadget that I must have. My small kitchen doesn't accommodate very many things on the counter. However given how many threads there are on the instapot I am becoming intrigued and wondering if it is something I should add to the arsenal.

I keep reading threads about the amazing insta pot. At first I thought it was just some kind of new fangled pressure cooker. But it keeps coming up. I'm wondering if it's the next (To me) greatest do it all gadget that I must have. My small kitchen doesn't accommodate very many things on the counter. However given how many threads there are on the instapot I am becoming intrigued and wondering if it is something I should add to the arsenal.

It is essentially a 'new fangled pressure cooker'. But it is also a crock pot, a rice cooker and other things. So mine is taking up space, yes. But it's going to replace two or three small appliances.

What are you going to make first?

IP is just another plug in item that takes up counter space. If you really want to know pressure cooking get one of these https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00YPOUAYS/tvwb-20 I have 3 of them because sometimes I make 2 things at once. Yeah it isn't dumbed down like an IP but you can get a lot more done in less time and better. As for slow cookers you cannot beat this https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0039UU9U4/tvwb-20 I have a LeCruset version wife and I bought about 33 years ago. I also have a very old plain CI one from Wagner IIRC I would not be without those things. I threw out or gave away all our plug in type counter top cookers (bread maker, deep fryer, slow cooker, etc). If I want slow cooker type meals dutch oven goes into the oven low and slow for a few hours and I get perfect results. Nice thing is everything can do double duty. If I need another pot to help make ragu (Sunday gravy) the LeCruset can come out or for Marinara or Bolognese for that matter, my stainless steel pressure cookers can also do regular stove top duty as they also come with regular lid(s) for say cooking pasta if need be.
Want fresh bread? My KitchenAid helps my wife do it better than ANY bread maker EVER will plus she has the heavy steel french loaf pans to make the best bread you would ever dream to eat.
Deep fry? Nothing does it better than those cast iron dutch ovens! Hold heat better than any el cheapo counter top appliance.
Also having these items you have versatility, and you learn how to actually USE the type of cooking you're doing. Plus no dangerous cords all over the counter or table, and if you've never had one of those made in China devices ever malfunctioned on you like I have well...................you haven't lived until you come home to the smell of burning plastic and rubber :D

To each his own Larry. The IP in my opinion is not just another counter top item it's a multi task cooker that can do a lot more than you think. You list multiple items to do the same thing that one IP can do. No it can't deep fry or make bread. But that's not it's purpose. I can't agree with your opinions as you have never tried one or I assume had anything made in one.
The quality of the food is excellent and clean up is one pot and it will cook as fast as any antique pressure cooker.

You're going to love it Bob. That taco soup you will be making is on my list too.
Got the springform pan from Amazon also. Tonight is going to be Cincinnati Chili 4 way and tomorrow will be cheese cake and chicken noodle soup.
We've done four meals in it all with excellent results.

Back