Ranch Kettle maybe overkill but...

Ken Chapman

TVWBB Fan
It sure is fun to have all that space. I loaned my RK to a friend for Super Bowl and just got it back last weekend. I was all set to use my performer when I remembered I saw a few posts of people using their RK's and wanted to use mine again. Even though I was only cooking a tri-tip for my family of four I just dumped the chimney full of coals and went with it.

Here is the prep work. Tritip was marinated in a chipotle marinade. Mushrooms, peppers and onions for a brandy cream sauce. And whats left of a Sailor Jerrys and coke to help the cook.

Then on the grill with a few taters and some acorn squash. By the way I need to say thank you to everyone on this site for the squash idea. I never cooked it before and my wife absolutely loved it!

Pulled the tritip off at 135 heated some bread and threw on some romaine. I cut too much of the root off and it came apart but it was still good. I also cooked the mushrooms and made a sauce in a 12 inch cast iron skillet (the extra space came in handy for that) but for some reason I didn't get it in a picture.

all sliced up and ready to serve

Thanks for looking. Have a great weekend everyone!

Hey, extra space is always nice. Why not use it!
I picked up an 18 1/2 but use it rarely, good for "extras" though.
Looks great!

EXCELLENT Ken!
Never EVER apologize for using the Ranch Kettle! Even for a single bratwurst.

You got the bragging rights for sure since you own a RK, so why not use it.
Great looking tri tip dinner.

Outstanding dinner everything looks spot on. Your RK did an awesome job, but to big for just Rich and I.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I really do love using the RK and I will be using it a lot more now that its back in the stable. Rich, my wife thought I was crazy for buying this and couldn't even understand where I would keep it since it so big. Having so much real estate to cook with really is a luxury. I would make room for this even if I had to keep it under the car! ;)

Nice cook Ken. I'm looking forward to doing a smaller one like that when I bring my RK back home. Gotta love the extra space. Heck, instead of 2 zone cooking, us RK owners can do 3 or maybe even 4 zones:cool:

Great Looking meal! Looks like you need to buy the bulk tri tip that I get so you can fill that grill up :D

Back