Rack of Pork

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Here's a quick post of a cook I did a couple of nights ago. Main purpose however is I wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Found these at Costco. Bought three as they disappear after the holidays. Put two in freezer.

Brined for six hours in apple juice, sugar, salt and a herb bundle.

Pulled from brine and "tried" to French the bones. Not sure I'll do that again. The before picture looked better. Also removed the chine bones. Rubbed it down with Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper, Italian Parsley, fresh thyme, sage and garlic.

On the WSM, running at 3oo, Pecan for smoke.

Got a bundle of asparagus ready to steam.

Kept the rack over the warmer section of smoker for 30 minutes, about 15 minutes a side. Then moved to center of smoker for about an hour and a half.

Baked a couple of Yams.

Just about done. Cooked to around 150 IT.

About a 15 minute rest.

Continued....

Last edited:
Sliced.

Plate.

Sure was good.

Wow, this was absolutely delicious. Tastiest piece of pork I've ever done. Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
Fantastic Cliff, you are cranking out some amazing cooks. I'm not sure what you want for Christmas, but I'm hoping for a Pitcher that doesn't have gray hair or cry when he's pitching at away games and the crowd boos him...I'm thinking I'm not getting my wish.... :)

That looks outstanding Cliff! Merry Christmas to you and your family. Barb and I will be looking forward to seeing more of your great cooks in the coming year.

Cliff-

This is one of my Costco favorites! I am fortunate that my Costco seems to carry these all the time, so I cook them up several times a year. Yours came out beautifully!

Merry Christmast to you and yours!

Rich

That was awesome Cliff, looks fantastic and your sides are spot on. Hope you and family had a very Merry Christmas and have a great New Year. Like Rich said looking forward to seeing your cooks in 2016.

Anybody have a good video on removing the chine bone... i picked up one of these for new years eve. I started thawing it out in the fridge last night and im pretty sure its still fully intact.

Cliff. That is a smashing attempt at a French trim on those bones. (You can always wrap the exposed bones in foil so they don't burn). Looks fabulous mate, great job.

Last edited:

Back