Prime Chili

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So I had a bunch of pieces of the prime sirloin left over from last night s cook and decided to try to make some Chili with it.
Took four large Chili Negro's and re-hydrated then seeded and de-stemmed them. Five cloves of garlic a can of diced tomatoes, some Cumin and some Mexican Oregano and blended them up into a nice pasty soup.

DSC_1558_zpsff035200.jpg

DSC_1559_zps65e21582.jpg

Sauteed two red onions in the CI, sprinkled in two tablespoons of flour, added the sirloin and lightly browned it

DSC_1560_zps7e0236f4.jpg

Added the paste and three little hotties to simmer with the chili

DSC_1561_zps02ad2aba.jpg

Some Cilantro and a diced orange pepper and a can of black beans

DSC_1562_zps3ea3f8e7.jpg

Fried up some corn tortillas as per my bud's Tony and Maribel, sprinkled with a little garlic powder and sea salt

DSC_1567_zps85bd8d44.jpg

Lest you think no Webers were involved, well Oh Contrar

DSC_1565_zps3f668abe.jpg

Smoked beef bones with the bone marrow inside for about a half hour with apple wood as a side dish

Your plate with a nice beer, Sol with a slice of lime, enjoy

DSC_1570_zps34d2a18d.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Bill...I could go for some of that chilli bout now...great beer too..I have not had that in awhile...

Nice cooking!

Very nice Bill, if it's anything like your whiskey peppercorn sauce I'm gonna steal this one too!

Now that looks really good Bill and now I have a hankering for Chilly. Not sure about the bone marrow though. Hell, I'm still trying to work up the courage to do beef tongue like Tony and only because my wife says she's eaten it and liked it. You know the tongue doesn't look bad after cooking but it looks way gross when it is just out of the package. Maybe if I don't eat for a month or so that will help me in the courage department. :)

Dean it is a unique flavor, some love it and some won't go near it. I've also had mixed results as it seems all beef bones are not the same for marrow. Some just melt into a fatty texture and have very little flavor. Some come out superb, these were pretty good.
If you do it make little foil cups that will hold the bones up and leave an area where the liquefied part drain out.
Good luck

Back