Prime Brisket

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I cooked a brisket this past weekend. I changes things up a little this time. I cooked at 275.

Creekstone Farms Prime. I think the competition boys picked out the good ones the butcher had in the case. This one was a little weird. It was 13 lbs. but I carved off a ton a fat that will hopefully go into some sausage soon. The grain was weird and the point was at an angle and way overlapped the flat on the end.

Seasoned up with salt and pepper as usual.

Fired up the wsm with KBB and 4 big oak chunks. I cooked at 275 inspired by Aaron Franklin's book. I'm typically in the 225 to 250 range.

I wrapped in butcher paper at about 170. This is after I pulled it at 200, letting off heat before the rest.

Wife made some mac and cheese.

Sliced flat. This came out slightly dry. I overcooked it a bit and its just starting to crumble.

Another slice where the flat meats the point.

Carved up point.

Plated.

My last prime brisket was beautiful. This one was a little bit disappointing but still tasted great. The last one was dripping juices and this one was a little bit dry. I'm not sure if the higher temp of 275 was the problem. I did lose some cook time when the temp drifted down to 225 for 2 hours causing a stall. Not sure if I just let it cook too long. I also wrapped in butcher paper later at 170. My last one was at 165. I got the best smoke ring I've gotten on my brisket in a long time and I think that's do to better airflow at 275 as opposed to having to almost close the vents to cook at 225. I think my next brisket I'll cook at 175 but wrap earlier and make sure and take it off earlier. Thanks for looking!

Dustin, please send the pieces you're really disappointed with to ME! I'll eet'em!
Your Brisket looks AWESOME!
But then, you're from Texas!

Your brisky looks great!!!! I have found each one tends to cook a little different. Good job!!! I'll take a few slices please!!!!

The brisket looks good from where I am sitting and could eat a few slices or 10. Like gathering all this information as I am getting ready to do one for the first time on the WSM and seeing where I want my cook temps to be. I have done 2 in an electric smoker, but really cant wait for the great taste from the WSM

Killer Brisket Dustin!!! Please tell me you smoked that Mac & Cheese? If not.....You've got a do-over and this time smoke the Mac & Cheese :)
Excellent Cook!!!

Dustin
Sorry to hear your brisky was dry! A prime brisket!
My last try at brisket (with a lower grade) with Aaron's texas rub was at 250F and very late in wrapping. I pulled oFf when internal T was 199F in the tickest part of flat, vented on the counter for 30' and let it rest for 2 hours in BP.
Super dry in the flat. Overdone. The point was dry too.
Next time i'll stop cooking at lower internal T

Dustin
Sorry to hear your brisky was dry! A prime brisket!
My last try at brisket (with a lower grade) with Aaron's texas rub was at 250F and very late in wrapping. I pulled oFf when internal T was 199F in the tickest part of flat, vented on the counter for 30' and let it rest for 2 hours in BP.
Super dry in the flat. Overdone. The point was dry too.
Next time i'll stop cooking at lower internal T

I probably didn't vent long enough. I only did 15 minutes. I then moved it to foil to rest. I thought the butcher paper would require less venting and I need to hold for 4 hours. I think I'm going to wrap earlier too. I'm probably going to stick with the higher temp at least one more cook. I'll at least cook 1 more brisket this summer for my birthday in July.

Thanks all for the compliments. I tend to be to hard on myself but I'm aiming for perfect! This brisket still tasted great! The point was still really good.

Well done Dustin. Was this your first CS? Creek Stone Primes and are my favorite brisket to cook. I've busted a few in my time and at those prices it really hurts your feeling. CS seem to have a really small window to get it right. And that window is consistent through out the many of briskets I've done from CS. Like you said, that 50degree drop then back up could of cause the crumble. What I've learned with CS is wrap around 165 and yank them the moment they give it up and have the jiggle. Then slowly vent them down to 175-80ish. Re-wrap and hold for an hour or so. At 225 they seem to give it up between 198-203. At 325 they really start letting go at 205-208. I had my last HH go to 212. Best burnt ends ever from that one. For what it's worth, Your bark was picture perfect. it's easy to do bark. It's super hard to do bark right and that bark is right

Back