Penzeys

Penzy's is top-shelf. They have a tremendous variety, many different grinds (coarse, fine, etc.) and good customer service. We use them a lot.

What spices do you buy? Thinking about ordering some for smoking ribs, chicken, etc...

I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone say anything about about them!

I have or have had almost everything. I love BBQ 3000 and 3001, Northwoods, California pepper goes on almost everything I eat. Big shaker on the table. Trying to cut salt. Fajita seasoning and taco seasoning are great. I always bought my spices in bulk but it seemed to lose its flavor over time. Penzy's doesn't. More money though.

I have cupboards full of Penzey's spices, but have stopped buying them. Bill Penzey, the founder, is an outright bigot and regularly insults me and people who think and vote like me in his musings in his catalogs. I don't need to agree with him politically to buy his products, but I won't willfully give money to someone who publicly disdains and insults me.

Love Penzeys. I frequently use BBQ 3000 and Galena Street as rubs. And Mitchell Street is great on steaks and chops.

Their spices are top notch as well. They're not cheap, but you get good value out of them.

Been using Penzeys for quite a while Garlic powder, black pepper, California pepper, red & green bell pepper flakes, Fajita seasoning, green Goddess dressing base, Bouguet garni, BBQ3000, BBQ 3001 plus a few others all very good products.

Here's what I buy from Penzeys:

• Bay Leaves - Turkey
  • Cayenne
  • Chili Powder - Regular
  • Cinnamon
  • Cloves - Ground
  • Cumin Seed - Ground
  • Ginger - Powdered
  • Granulated Garlic Powder
  • Granulated Onion Powder
  • Mustard Powder - Regular
  • Northwoods Fire Seasoning
  • Nutmeg - Whole
  • Oregano - Turkish
  • Paprika - Hungarian Sweet
  • Paprika - Smoked
  • Peppercorns
  • Sweet Curry
  • Thyme - French
With the exception of peppercorns and whole nutmeg, I will keep all these for 2 years then toss and replace.

Anyone use their spices for cooking? If so, what have you ordered?

Thanks!

We have bought several items from them but the ones that stand out are Foxpoint, their Sandwich Sprinkle (they gave it as a sample and we put in on homemade garlic bread), and Northwoods Fire (really like this one).

Never tried Penzey, but I really like The Spice House. They will mix to order while you wait if the do not have it on the shelf.

I'm lucky to have a store not too far. When I use up a current spice I replace it with Penzey's.

My top two favorites.
Vietnamese Cinnamon
Roasted Garlic

Back