Pecan Hickory Smoked Pork Shoulder!

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
I bought a nice size pork shoulder Saturday morning, decided to smoke it over night, using a mix of Pecan and Hickory wood, for the smoke. I have a few bags left of Rancher's charcoal. Great stuff. Shoulder when on at 9:00pm, set the vents, and went to bed later on in the evening. I woke up the next morning, checked the pork at around 7:00am ish, looked good, temps were about 172f. Wrapped it in foil with apple juice, and let it go, for a few hrs more on the WSM. It was ready to be pulled apart at around 11 am ish. Very tender and moist, shredded very easily. Good tasting pork. Here are the pictures.

Shoulder on, at 9PM. See you in the morning!

Using a mix of Pecan and Hickory wood chunks, and good ol Ranchers charcoal.

Taking at peek in the morning, looks great, time to wrap in foil.

3-4 hrs later, time to start pulling.

Thanks for looking :).

Last edited:
Great looking pulled pork. Looks like it was smoked in a area where the fire hazard is next to nothing. Nice cat, I had one just like yours, all black. I miss him.

Thanks guys! The smoke flavor was just perfect. Not too overpowering, yet, you could taste that the pork came off of a smoker. I brought some in to share with my co workers, they loved it! It was finished by noon!

Man o Man that looks Great!!!!!
Not to be a smart a$$ but looks like you did it in a basement or a bomb shelter?????? Just curious!
Thanks for sharing Michael.

Not to be a smart a$$ but looks like you did it in a basement or a bomb shelter?????? Just curious!

ha ha ha, thought that was funny! no, I live in a house made of brick, and the original home owner, was a brick layer, and he made all of these retaining walls around the house, as I live in the mtns. I have a steep back yard into the forest, Go figure! lol! Also, glad to hear that some of you like cats! I think cats are very cool animals. I also have Raccoons that come around every now and then, and there is also a family of skunks that lives nearby too. I guess they like to come around, and eat some of the cat food that I leave outside at night.

must be a Wisconsin thing, I was thinking along the lines that Chuck was...
Looks Great Michael! Please leave the skunks alone, they're not tasty.....

Terrific looking shoulder, Michael! Just curious, did the skin on the pork shoulder come out crispy?

P.S. I like your BBQ area. It's like a pit-within-a-pit...just rearrange some of those bricks and you're golden! ;)

Back