Of Ribs and Rib Roasts

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I have two traditional cooks that I do every year when Christmas comes......

For the past ~20 years, I've been making ribs for my mother-in-law's Christmas Eve party. The first year I did it I was cooking in my hacked up "WSM" XL (a 22" kettle with two stacked rotisserie rings.) After that, for many years, I took my WSM to her house, and cooked up the ribs in her driveway (with a decent supply of beer and cigars.) Since I move to the pellet grill, now I cook at home and transport them when they are done......which I did this year. Smaller crowd, so just four racks of spares, and one of loin backs......

Timmed and seasoned (Meat Church Honey Hog)

1703538181248.jpeg

....at some point during the cook

1703538195883.jpeg

Off the grill, finished with a glaze (Sweet Baby Ray's and honey), and ready to be wrapped for transport

1703538230308.jpeg

They were a hit at the party, and I rated them about a 7.5-8 on a 10 point scale.....always room to do better!

That brings us to my favorite cook of the entire year. Standing rib roast for Christmas dinner was my dad's tradition for as long as I can remember. I took over the cooking for him before he passed, and in the 15 years since he left us. This year, I picked up a whole, 7-bone, Choice sub-primal from CostCo. We have 12 for dinner, so I figured about 13 lbs of that would be ample for dinner, and a decent pile of leftovers.

Trimmed of three large "steaks" and a four-bone roast

1703538376482.jpeg

Seasoned with a combo of Meat Church The Gospel, and Holy Cow

1703538397913.jpeg

She's on the pellet grill now at 230°, and I'm shooting for about 5.5 hours to get where I want it before a 500° sear. I'll try to grab and post a few pics along the way, and for sure a sliced pic.

Whatever you are grilling (or cooking.....or eating) today, I hope everyone has a wonderful day with family and friends! Be well, BBQ crazies! :)

Rich

Back