No Smoke Day Weekend for me this year

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
This would have been my 7th straight Smoke Day Weekend, but as they say, sometimes the remedy is worse than the disease.
My blood pressure had jumped up, so doc put me on an Ace inhibitor, I started taking the pills last Friday.
By Saturday I was jittery. uptight, had zero stamina, and was weak as a kitten after the slightest activity.
So we canceled the SD barbecue planned for Monday with a few family members coming over.

Went back to the doc yesterday, after only 4 days on the pills, and now I'm getting a prescription for a different type of medication, fingers crossed for this one.
No meds yesterday, still feeling anxiety this morning and haven't tried to test my stamina, yet.

Maybe we can count the 10 lbs. of bacon that I smoked last Thursday as my Smoke Day? :)

IMGP4314.JPG

You did the right thing my friend there is no smoke day ever that's more important than your heart health. I suffer from hypertension also and I take enough pills in the morning I don't need breakfast. I too have some anxiety and loss of strength and stamina. I went through some med changes and although not perfect I'm much much better than I was. Give it a little time and I think your doctors will get you back to a normal you can live with.
One thing that really helps me is I take at least one day a week and do nothing but relax with a good book or some other low key activity, makes a big difference.
Hang in there well see your contribution on the next smoke day.

I know where you are coming from. When I was put on blood pressure meds many years ago, it took awhile to get one that did not leave me in bad shape. I remember the first one they put me on had me disoriented and not able to work. Every time the docs change them, I just assume that I will take a few days to be sure all is ok.

Bob, you will be ok. Just might take a few tried to dial it in. Your health is much more important than anything, especially to your family. You can do a cook anytime but your ongoing health is the most important thing to your family and friends. Will be praying for you and yours. You will be fine.

Lifestyle changes are sometimes needed as well. Don't expect a pill (in isolation) to do for you what cutting back on your afternoon libations can do as an example. Obviously we know nothing about your lifestyle so this may be way out in left field.

Cutting back on salt may be what's needed. Read a recent report saying that cutting back on salt for "younger, healthy" people may have zero effect on b.p. but for older individuals (like us), it can be beneficial. In our smoking business, salt is a popular spice to use. Might have to adjust that component.

Last edited:
Bob,
I hope you start feeling better real soon, so that you can get back to posting pics of your always exceptional BBQ!

Lifestyle changes are sometimes needed as well. Don't expect a pill (in isolation) to do for you what cutting back on your afternoon libations can do as an example. Obviously we know nothing about your lifestyle so this may be way out in left field.

Cutting back on salt may be what's needed. Read a recent report saying that cutting back on salt for "younger, healthy" people may have zero effect on b.p. but for older individuals (like us), it can be beneficial. In our smoking business, salt is a popular spice to use. Might have to adjust that component.

I don't know how you handle your salt intake and maybe you do fine but I have to say Len is spot on with the salt. I cut way back years ago and yes it's a pain but once you get used to it you will never go back to the salty ways. It made a major difference in my BP so much so that my cardiologist hasn't upped by BP meds in over 10 years. A lot of mine is heredity, my Mom died of a massive stroke due to uncontrolled high blood pressure at 38 years old. So it's an uphill battle.
In the grilling/smoking world it's hard to get away from it, but if you can cut back and it will help.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys!

Never been a 'salt eater' and always cook with very little, so I'm good in that department.
But I've missed my bourbon on the rocks for a week now. :)

I start on amlodipine this evening, lisinopril was the first go.

Never been a 'salt eater' and always cook with very little, so I'm good in that department.

Geez Bob I take BOTH of those everyday. I think you'll find the amlodipine a little easier on you.
Yeah I would miss it too I need a little at night to keep reality at bay. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Bob, I recently had my BP jump unexpectedly. Lisinopril was the doc's first shot, but I, too had a bad reaction. Felt like crap. I got on a couple of others and now (after about 6 months), I'm back to 120/70 where I was for my whole life. Figured it was time for a cardiologist visit, too. After stress test and echo cardio, etc. all is well. Doc said that high BP takes many years to do damage, so if you catch it soon and get it under control, you should have no long-lasting issues. Hope everything works out well for you.

Jeff

I also am on amlodipine along with losartan for some time. They have my bp in control for many years now. Hopefully the amlodipine will work well for you. This combo I am on has had no ill effects. Keep on top of it and you should do quite well. One thing I look out for is if I get a headache, I then check my bp. For me anyway, it is a clue. Keep up the good work and know that we are all pulling for you. You always have great posts and are always helpful to others on the site.

Thanks again!

A little update.
Two days on the amlodipine and I'm starting to see a drop, with no major side effects.
Strength and stamina are coming back.
I was surprised to find out how many of my friends and family are taking meds for hypertension when I told them about mine.

Feeling blessed for your support, and ready to fire up a grill real soon!
:blueperformer:

I'm happy you seem to have this under control with no side effects from the meds! Hope this is the answer for you Bob!

Thanks again!

A little update.
Two days on the amlodipine and I'm starting to see a drop, with no major side effects.
Strength and stamina are coming back.
I was surprised to find out how many of my friends and family are taking meds for hypertension when I told them about mine.

Feeling blessed for your support, and ready to fire up a grill real soon!
:blueperformer:

Now that is great news!

Tim

Bob
Sorry to hear about your Health problems. I have had mine since 2009 and what I can suggest to You is keep on smoking and let your Guests eat your BBQ.

Back