New WSMs for 2009

Quick question on the beer can chicken. With all of the moisture from the water pan, do you think they would do just as well flat on the grate? I have 2 that need to be done either today or tomorrow.

Another thanks for providing this site. It has made all the world of difference to me in my use of my WSM. I probably wouldn't have it or use it as much without all of the great info here.

Originally posted by Alan D:
I have to say I was just watching the video you did of the ProQ stacker for the WSM and I have to admit that the scratching of the paint did not look good, IMO.
I just want to be very clear that I am assuming the ProQ grills use the same finish I see on the WSM Stacker. Nowhere on their website do they mention the finish being porcelain enamel, which is a much more expensive process but last so much longer.

If I am mistaken about the finish, please correct me because accurate info is important.

Originally posted by Bruce H:
Quick question on the beer can chicken. With all of the moisture from the water pan, do you think they would do just as well flat on the grate?
Sure, I think so. The beer can is fun, and cooking vertical can increase capacity, but it's also about theatrics. And cooking with beer is hardly ever a bad thing.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks! I was just wanting to be lazy and plop them on the grates, but I went ahead and put them on and used the beer cans just for kicks. Added more beer and some aromatic veggies to the water pan just for kicks. I put on chicken on each rack. I know the lower one won't budge, because I had to push down on the top rack to set it in place! I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out. I have done this on my Weber gas grill with excellent results, and whole chicken minus the can on an electric smoker, but this is my first try on the WSM.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:

I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with all the pork butt I cook next. Some of my friends and neighbors are probably going to get lucky.

Just pointing out here that Sunnyvale isn't far from San Jose at all!
icon_smile.gif

(Mostly Just Kidding)

Also wanted to thank you for the details on this, and everything else you post on this site. I still open the site just about anytime I'm going to do a smoke, just to look around and make sure I get things right.

That's how I found this thread.. I was going to look up something on smoking pork butt and finishing in the oven..

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
If I am mistaken about the finish, please correct me because accurate info is important.
I just want to point out that the main reason I replied to your comment again, is because I hadn't watched your video prior to making them, and I had watched Fred's video, where I believe you got it from. He raved about the quality being on par with the WSM and having added features. I don't mean to say the quality on the ProQ is sub par, or that Fred was being deceiving but want accurate info also, that's the only way to be fair.

Over the years, my kids have bought me accessories for the Weber, and they feel it's a safe bet to get me a product with the Weber name on it. However, some of the reasons I have bought Weber and liked their products have been changing...plastic handled utensils, plastic tables on the new one touch cart...I wish they would continue to offer wood options in that regard. Even though I have left Weber tables in the elements, and the rain destroyed them, I prefer to have a wood than plastic table. I know the plastic is cleaner, I know it's easier to attend to...but some thing just never die for me...it is why I still cook with charcoal.

Honestly, I started realizing that since I haven't seen the ProQ, and it might hold up fine even if it is not porcelain, I'm holding Weber as the leader in paint and it has stood up for me.

Ok, I hang my head in shame, maybe I should take the enthusiasm from the others as being more worthy than I viewed it myself, originally...
icon_rolleyes.gif

On a good note, I got myself a 18 1/2", and it's genuine Weber, just needs to plastic handle replaced...
icon_wink.gif
I can make all the mods that will make it more convenient for me, so I don't have to be concerned over the paint issue...

I picked up some hardwood lump from BBQ Galore (sorry Chris;-), and some pecan chunks. I have been using the Whole Foods 365 brand hardwood charcoal in the kettle, so looking to see how I like the BBQG stuff (I read it's Lazarri under the covers). I've used Lazarri to forge with and it's good, way better than the more common Lazarri mesquite that is more commonly available. The mesquite sparks a lot, smiths call it forge flies...
icon_redface.gif
I'll take my meat without them I 'spose...
icon_biggrin.gif

It hurts a little bit that I ordered my second WSM just three hours and two minutes before your announcement, Chris! I got the "Your order has shipped," email from Amazon about three hours later, and felt the urge to visit TVWBB. What do I see? The BBWSM announcement we've been waiting for! Bittersweet. Of course, I'm keeping the 2nd WSM. Butts on it as I type. But I still want the BBWSM! Thanks, Chris. It would never have happened without you.

Just a big hallo from Denmark. Thanks for the video of the new WSM. I have seen it in real life at weber Denmarks head office, it is really nice and big, Im am looking forvard to be one of the first i Denmark to try it, becuse i am the editor of the WSM site on the Danish weber club Weberklubben

I wonder if Weber would allow the purchase of the thermometer with that cool ring it sits in, and the charcoal grate with the modification for owners of the older model? If I can purchase those 2 items I'd be happy. The unused coals falling through is a pain on the current model. The heat shield is not a big deal for me but maybe others might like to purchase that item for their older 18" WSM too.

about halfway through the cook i like to remove the top grate with food and set it aside on my smokey joe then lift the middle section off and stir the coals up knocking the ash to the bottom reload with smokewood re assemble and add water to the bowl then put the food back on.

cant do that through the access door even a large one or it will disturb far toomuch ash and coat the food. so yeah handles would be nice.

This is great news Chris. I competed last weekend at the West Coast BBQ Championship in Fairfield (9th in brisket) and could have used this larger WSM cooker. My brother uses two drums using Weber 22 grates and a Weber 22 top so I'm aware how much meat this size of cooker can hold.

Can't wait to use one... wish I had one for the Clovis contest in Sep.

John

This is exciting news. I have recently been quite down on Weber for the first time in my life. I have cooked on Weber products for as long as I can remember. I recently purchased a Summit E420 and had endless problems with it. The short story is that I could not get the grill to reach 500 degrees. Weber CS began awfully....then they redeemed themselves despite the fact that they could not fix the problem. It ended up to be a poorly designed hood which allows the heat to escape very quickly. I ended up with a propane hoggin' grill that underperformed my old Genesis 1000 (I knew I shouldn't have sold that!)

Anyway...Weber sent me a refund check for the grill and picked it up from me after three service calls on the grill. I ended up purchasing and refurbishing a used SS Genesis Gold which looks and operates as new....I couldn't be happier with it. Shortly thereafter I won an Ebay auction from a lost freight place for a Performer for $152.50 (I haven't used the gas grill since I got this....I LOVE the Performer). Then Craigslist came through with a filthy dirty greasy WSM that I picked up for $75.....4 cans of oven off later...it literally looks brand new...and I mean BRAND NEW. That porcelain enamel coating is tough stuff. Don't be scared to take Brillo pads and scrub your heart out...you WILL NOT scratch that porcelain enamel...but it will clean up like new. So....I went from a $1299 grill that completely disappointed....to 3 fantastic Weber grills for $347.50...wow...I could not be happier. The WSM absolutely exceeds my expectations in terms of temp stability and overall user friendliness. I added a TruTemp 3" thermometer to it and really have been enjoying it.

I am so pleased to see what appear to be Weber heading in the right direction. I have been lamenting about my experience with the Summit 420 and the poor engineering and thoughtlessness that went into its functional design. Aesthetically it is a work of art....but it is a severe underperformer imo. It seems to me that Weber is making some of their grills for flash and bling....but forgetting their highly functional and quality performance roots. I compared the 420 to a Hummer....folks buy them for the bling...but they are nuthin' but junk. I haven't used ONE of Wegbers "older" products that has disappointed me...and the new Performer is a most pleasant surprise for me. I hope that Weber has learned some recent lessons and spends their time and due diligence on R & D.

Jason

Hey people..first post on the board.
icon_eek.gif
Not a rookie, but have a question about the 22" WSM..according to the web site the 18.5" have a cooking surface of 468 sq inches..how much does the 22 have?
icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Mike Grisham:
The 18.5" has a cooking surface of 468 sq inches..how much does the 22 have?
Top grate is 21.5", bottom grate is 20.75". By my calculations, 363 + 338 = 701 sq inches.

Back