New WSMs for 2009

Guess I have to agree with JRPfeff on this one. I have never had to tend to my coals yet, and I have done a few over-nighters. I am pretty sure I am correct on the liability issues with the handles. There is no way that Weber wants us to move a hot cooker. If they did supply them, and you gave yourself a steam bath, it would not be a pretty court scenario for them I'm sure!

I guess the only thing that I saw that would be a nicer improvement is a MUCH beefier top grate, maybe stainless!

... coats the food like pompeii part 2
I have never had that happen.

I am also reluctant to ever break apart my WSM while cooking, even to lift the lid. I want to keep as much heat as possible inside the bullet.

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Although the New WSM is much taller than Classic WSM, from the side-by-side views it appears that the space between the grates remains nearly the same. It appears to me that about two inches of lower grate headroom is gained with the Jumbo-WSM.
Old distance is 7-1/2", new distance is 9".

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
The access door may even function as a "coal chute" when more fuel is needed.
In the pre-production model, the charcoal chamber sits almost at the edge of the charcoal grate. The access door might work as a chute.

Originally posted by Jon Merka:
i want handles because it is far easier to remove the food with the center section and tend the coals without getting charcoal dust and ash all over what your trying to cook. its just a pain int he butt in a major way to tend the thing through a door. i dont thin it matter how big the door is when it stirs the ash and coats the food like pompeii part 2
I put on the gloves and lift the mid section off the charcoal bowl to refuel/stir the coals, no handles needed" The Hot Squat" technique.
icon_biggrin.gif
Never had a problem with ash flying when removing the lid? If you are having this problem, remove the lid slowly.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
I put on the gloves and lift the mid section off the charcoal bowl to refuel/stir the coals, no handles needed" The Hot Squat" technique.
I do the "hot squat" on occasion, too, but I don't think I'd try it with this new cooker. These big parts are really heavy. I think it would be too dangerous now...but with handles, maybe it could be done safely by two people.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I do the "hot squat" on occasion, too, but I don't think I'd try it with this new cooker. These big parts are really heavy. I think it would be too dangerous now...but with handles, maybe it could be done safely by two people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Hot Squat is def not for every one. Your size/height and length of your arms has alot to do with wether this method is right for you. At one time I stood 6' 5" tall, but due to an illness. I'm down to 6' 3 1/4" but still have no problem doing the hot squat. Now if I was in the 5' 6" - 5' 10" range not so sure I'd atempt it. Remember the old VW bugs. Well back in the day, I was known to pick the back end up and put them on the side walk to mess with peoples heads when they came out in the morning to go to work. Also the very first Honda Civics I would put on the sidewalk.
icon_biggrin.gif
I kid you not.
icon_wink.gif

I'd like to think this is a sign that the major producers aren't going to be giving up on charcoal based grills. I know gassers are enjoying quite a surge in popularity, but for some, charcoal will always be where it's at.

I think Weber really hit the sweet spot with the updated feature set. The improvements will satisfy the largest segment of their demographic. For those looking for more, mods are still possible.

As far as including handles on the body section, I think you guys are really underestimating the realities. I've lifted the body of the current WSM while a cook was underway, and I must say it was a daunting experience. Consider the weight of the larger body, bigger grates, bigger heat sink (water, sand, ceramic, etc), heavier load of meat, the awkward reach and angles involved with a larger diameter... who's got the strength? And remember -- it's flesh-burning hot. No thanks.

If Weber put handles on the body, it would be an invitation to use them, which would be an invitation to disaster. We can't afford what they'd have to charge us to cover their out of court settlements.

I'd like to thank Weber for stepping up and doing something that NOBODY believed would ever happen. The new and improved WSM will never please all of the people all of the time, but from where we've come from (and being there for so long), this is a quantum leap. THANKS WEBER!

Kudos to Chris, too. I honestly don't believe the WSM would be enjoying the level of success it does, nor the improvements we are all soon to be able to enjoy, without his amazing effort on TVWB. THANK YOU, CHRIS!

Isn't it nice to hear good news? I can't wait.

I just finished cooking 6 beer can chickens. Photos are here:

2009 22" WSM Photos

These are 5-pound chickens, not the little 3.5-4 lb ones I can normally find.

The photo showing 5 chickens in the bottom of the 22" cooker is a bit of a stretch. They fit, but were touching slightly. Four is more realistic, but if they were smaller chickens, you might do 5.

In the photo showing 3 chickens on the 18" bottom grate, the chickens are touching the top grate. In the 22" cooker, they are not touching, thanks to the additional 1-1/2" clearance.

For all you lumpheads out there, note that I used a bag of Duraflame hardwood lump I found buried under my supply of Kingsford. Hope this makes you happy, Bryan!
icon_smile.gif
I had an old 22" kettle charcoal grate that I placed 90* to the WSM grate.

Used 2g of cool water. Cooker jumped to 250*F immediately. Cooker was in hot, direct sun, so I was getting some "solar assist". Closed all vents and it ran up to almost 275*F. Once the sun went behind the neighbor's house, temp droped down to 245-250*F and stuck there. Birds were done at 3-1/2 hours.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. For all you lumpheads out there, note that I used a bag of Duraflame hardwood lump I found buried under my supply of Kingsford. Hope this makes you happy, Bryan!
icon_smile.gif
I had an old 22" kettle charcoal grate that I placed 90* to the WSM grate.
I love you Man! Chris used Lump, brings a tear to my eye.
icon_wink.gif
Those pics of all that chicken, is just so awsome. Chris, I take my hat off to you, for everything that you have done for us over the years. There is no doubt in my mind that this 22.5" WSM is all because of this web site and all your hard work, thoughts, and ideas over the years. Thanks for keeping us in line through the years. You are the Man. Thanks so much for this playground.
icon_cool.gif

Well, that is the exact reason I love this place. Thanks for everything, guys. I have been reserving comment, because well, I just haven't quite been able to put it into words yet. These are truely the best of times for us
icon_cool.gif

P.S. I will be attending my first little comp next weekend (nervous/excited) and I cant help but think of using "lumpheads" as a team name
icon_wink.gif

Brandon

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
What did you do with all that chicken?
Ate part of one for dinner. Put a whole one in the fridge for the next couple of days. Removed the skin from the other four, pulled the meat off the bones, did a rough chop, Foodsaver'd into four bags, and into the freezer they went. Can use those in pasta dishes, quesadillas, etc. I will chop some and mix with sauce for pulled chicken sammies.

I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with all the pork butt I cook next. Some of my friends and neighbors are probably going to get lucky.

Anyone that would rather have a ProQ extender, than this new WSM... I have a brand new one available for $40 plus shipping.

Never been used and never will be.

Larger 4-1/4" vent dampers with 4 3/4" holes

So has anybody measured the damper holes on the original WSM? Be good to know for us Guru guys if the adapter for the fan will fit the new WSM on Steroids. And yes so thinking of canceling my order for the stacker.

Chris thanks for the hard work on this site. I have to agree with everybody else that this site is the cause of Weber making these changes.

Another point of comparison is the finish. We know how the Weber porcelain enamel coating holds up over time. We don't know how the ProQ painted finish will do. Time will tell. We also have a lot of experience with great Weber customer support.
Chris,

I have to say I was just watching the video you did of the ProQ stacker for the WSM and I have to admit that the scratching of the paint did not look good, IMO. This is one of my biggest complaint with most of the 'ques, they don't stand the test of time. My 22 1/2" kettle has been in the weather for 25 years and the paint is still ok, and cleans up well.

That's too bad, the features of the ProQ look attractive, but the paint is a big issue for the long haul...at least for me. In fact it could be a deal breaker.

I don't need the extra space, so it's not as if I need a stacker. My earlier comments were in regard to a new purchase, but given the paint, I have to change my view...hmmm...

Lucky for me, I think I'm set for the time being, and just got my stoker tested...in fact I was thinking that I really don't need a thermometer in the WSM with the Stoker, I've got the numbers. Looking forward to shopping for a piece of meat to toss on the WSM tomorrow.

I got some catchin' up to do with most of you folks around here...

I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with all the pork butt I cook next. Some of my friends and neighbors are probably going to get lucky.

Ship some of that pulled pork to me
icon_wink.gif
Chris, I would like to join with everyone else in thanking you for the website and forum which undoubtedly influenced the Weber folks in coming up with a couple of great new products.

Jeff

Chris

Having been on this board since 2003 and a WSM user for 10 years before that, this is really great news. Congrats to you for the role Weber has given you - it clearly shows they recognize the high quality work you've put into this site and how it has impacted THEIR PRODUCT.

It does come at a difficult time for many with discretionary income at a low point .... but, then I guess with "us fanatics" this really isn't discretionary ... ?

Paul

Back