New WSMs for 2009

Originally posted by Gerry D.:
I feel like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story". What do I want for Christmas? I want a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker with a 3 gallon water pan and thermometer in the lid.
icon_biggrin.gif

No-You'll smoke your eye out!

Looks great - can't wait to get one. Have any pictures of the new 26" kettle surfaced? Wonder if it'll have a "gold" style ash catcher. Can't wait.....

Chris,
Did you have to use different techniques with the larger smoker? Did it take a lot longer to bring the smoker up to temperature? I would think that with the increased volume of metal and the increased volume of meat, it would take slightly different planning and execution in order to smoke. Additionally, does it look like you can use a DIGIQ II on it or will you need to get a special bracket?
Lance

I was so excited to hear the news about the larger WSM yesterday and I put off telling my wife until this morning. She loves to eat BBQ, but just doesn't get the whole BBQ passion thing and taking pics of food thing...anyhow, what's the first words out of her mouth...what are you going to do with the other smokers?

I gently explained to her this would be in addition to not a replacement of....
icon_biggrin.gif

This is some great news. I am not sure if i will rush right away and buy one since i just got mine in the spring. Is there any word out there on the 26 kettle? I will jump all over that the minute it comes out.

Good videos. I hope Weber looks into the rivets that hold the vents. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't go over the one they sent Chris with a fine tooth comb first.

I can't wait to have ribs sit comfortably on my rack, on a big ol 22.5 inch grate.

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
The "ash catcher" makes no sense at all when you think about it. Also, I don't think it is a "drip catcher" either.

What does make sense is that it is a Heat Shield to better protect wooden decks and such.

Also... where is the cover?
I have confirmed that it is in fact a heat shield, not a catcher of some sort.

A vinyl cover will ship with the product, but one was not included with the pre-production version I received.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
A vinyl cover will ship with the product, but one was not included with the pre-production version I received.
Please suggest to Weber that this one be water proof.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Evan:
Will the 2 upper sections of the 22 WSM fit on a performer bowl?
I don't have a Performer, but I can give you the measurements of the parts.

The diameter of the lid is 22-1/2". It has the same rounded edge and sits inside the middle section as with the current WSM.

The diameter of the bottom of the middle section is about 21-3/4" give 1/16" here and there.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting both the 22 WSM and the 26 kettle - time to save up. I hope the come out with a rotisserie ring for the 26" kettle as well....

Originally posted by Todd Randall:
Chris,

I just wanted to say what a great job you did on the videos. Better than anything I've ever seen (in this category)
icon_smile.gif

Todd

I want to see the videos. How do you find them? I searched on youtube.
icon_confused.gif

Top of the page under videos.

Note from Moderator: See page 1 of this message thread for links to 22" WSM photos and videos.

Word on the street is that you guys are about $100 low on your MSRP for the 22 1/2 WSM. I'm hearing $499, but the lowest allowed advertised price will be $399. My source also hinted that some would possibly be available by Christmas (this year). If not... Jan/Feb, 2009.

Originally posted by Lance:
Did you have to use different techniques with the larger smoker? Did it take a lot longer to bring the smoker up to temperature?

I cooked 6 slabs of loin back ribs using Minion Method and 9lb of Kingsford over 4.5 hours. I lit 40 briquettes and put the rest of the unlit ones in the charcoal chamber. I put about 2.5g of water from the garden hose in the pan.

With all vents wide open, it took 1 hour to reach 225*F. After 4 hours, temp was wandering down to the low 200's, so I stirred the coals and it jumped back to 237*F but wandered back down to 220*F or so after 45 minutes. And you can see from some of the photos I posted that there wasn't much fuel left after I shut down the cooker.

Hard to assess after just 1 cook, but it only makes sense that it will require more fuel to cook greater quantities of meat and heat more water in a 3g pan. If I were cooking those ribs again, I would try using less water.

Lance continues:
Does it look like you can use a DIGIQ II on it or will you need to get a special bracket?
Don't know. 22" WSM is using the same dampers as the 22" kettle...will DIGIQ II work on a 22" kettle?

handles on the middle section would really be awesome. when i go to refill my waterpan the thing is empty and its time to stoke the coals a bit anyway. handles on the sides would be a huge plus.

an easier method of removing that heat deflector would be nice. gonna be a pain in the butt to get debris out of it on windy no use days not to mention cleaning the bugs and what not out after the weeks of heavy snow.

now is the time to get thigns we want. i know a lot of folks would like various eyelets. and i want a bottom grill with handles like the top grill has. makes filling the water pan easier.

anyway im buying soon as they are out for sale!!

now where in the hell am i going to find a 3 gallon water jug...

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lance continues:
Does it look like you can use a DIGIQ II on it or will you need to get a special bracket?
Don't know. 22" WSM is using the same dampers as the 22" kettle...will DIGIQ II work on a 22" kettle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does on mine... but I drilled a hole just for it (just like I did on all my WSMs). I want all the vents operational when I want to cook sans BBQ Guru.

The pan on the bottom looks more like a heat sheild than a drip pan. It seems to me if it was intended to be a drip pan it would be easy to remove and wouldn't have a hole in it...

Wow, should have guessed just after I get my WSM the new and improved is out.

Should have waited for the fire sales on the old model, but that Big boy sure looks nice.

I would agree with earlier posts id be interested in the 1880 as well.

Chris was their a hole in the bottom bowl for the drip/heat shield?

Thanks

Back