New WSMs for 2009

Awesome...they even put the thermometer in the right place...ala Tel-Tru Mod!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Thanks Chris!
icon_smile.gif

I think this will boost the marketplace for those seeking to use WSM's in competitive cooking. I could easily see someone using two 22"s and turning out everything their hearts desire.

I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Thank you Chris for helping make this happen.

Looking forward to those videos.

Chris -

1) Is the access door design same as existing model (better or same seal)?

2) I sometimes set up my WSM for grilling (charcoal in middle section). Does it look like the new 22 will support that scheme?

Thanks for the early look!

Originally posted by Mike A.:
Chris -
2) I sometimes set up my WSM for grilling (charcoal in middle section). Does it look like the new 22 will support that scheme?

Thanks for the early look!

I did this as well, until I purchased the Steroid mod for the WSM... Now it is a great little grill as well! Looks like all the mods will transfer over just fine though. The Guru eyelets, smokey joe on steroid mod, and my door prop mod!

Please tell me Chris...
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
What about the grates? Top grate, I assume, is the same as on the 22 1/2" kettle? Bottom grate?
Both appear to be just larger versions of the current WSM grates. Top is probably the 22" kettle grate. Bottom has the two cross pieces running across the back side.

Originally posted by Mark Davis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question How are we going to refer to the large versus normal size WSM? Any ideas.

"The BIG Bullet" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly what I was thinking...The BIG Bullet!

Originally posted by Mike A.:
1) Is the access door design same as existing model (better or same seal)?
Access door will have the same seal as the current door.

It appears there is 1-1/2" of additional space between the top and bottom grates. You should be able to do the same grilling setup, but there will be a little more space between the fire and the top grate.

Originally posted by Lonnie Mac:
Looks like all the mods will transfer over just fine though. The Guru eyelets, smokey joe on steroid mod, and my door prop mod!

Please tell me Chris...
icon_smile.gif
Yes, Guru eyelets will be the same, since the grill strap screws are the same as current. Lid still fits on charcoal bowl the same, so "Smokey Joe on Steroids" works. Access door can still be installed upside down, so your door prop mod will still work.

Originally posted by Mark Davis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question How are we going to refer to the large versus normal size WSM? Any ideas.

"The BIG Bullet" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a better description than "The 22 Bullet."

The new 22" WSM looks great. But I am also
one of those guys that would like to see the
return of the 1880 offered as another choice.
I am also wondering how the new 26" kettle will
affect Ranch sales.

This is great news.

I would never get rid of my current WSM, but I will definitely be adding one of these Super WSMs to the arsenal.

$399 is cheap if that's the price. Strictly speaking the 22" model has about 769 Sq. In. of cooking area while the current model has about 508 Sq. In. of cooking area. That's about a 50% increase in cooking area. If my math is screwed up, someone please correct me.

I'll be buying one. In fact I'll be buying 2. One to cook on and one to just put back in case Weber decides not to make them very long.

Thank you Weber!!!

Wondering what other charcoal grate we'll need to use to do the double grate mod for us lump burners? I don't want to wait till 09, I want one now.
icon_frown.gif

Bryan,

Expanded metal cut w/ plasma cutter laid over the grate, same as all my other kettles. Doesn't everyone burn lump?

I'll cut one for your 22 WSM when I cut one for mine
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by David Presley:
Bryan,
Expanded metal cut w/ plasma cutter laid over the grate, same as all my other kettles.
David, Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I like to use steel rod (another grate) or I'll just cut and weld my own if nothing will drop in and work. But come to think of it, since it's the 22.5" size, it should be easy since I have a double grate in my 22.5" Master touch, and in the Smokey Joe Platinum also. The only grill or smoker I don't have a double grate in is the Gold D gassser.
icon_biggrin.gif
My double grate mod, now over 6 years old is just about used up in the WSM. Guess I need to take 2 charcoal grates off the garage wall and get the Hobart out again.
icon_smile.gif

EDIT: Ok, all I know is Amazon better have like 500 of these on hand when they go on sale. Somebody in the know, better drop a line to Amazon not to drop the ball on this.
icon_frown.gif

Yeah, I can just see the wait. They will be selling on eBay like the Playstation 3 at Christmas, the year they came out. Anyone willing to pay over $1000 for one?

These are tears of joy running down my face. I'm glad Weber finally came around. This summer I switched my smoker and charcoal grill over to weber. Looks like I'll be updating them soon to the larger models.

Any ideas on how to sneak this past the wife?

Back