New WSMs for 2009

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
What is not included that you may have wanted?<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Handles on middle section
<LI>Probe thermometer eyelet
<LI>Handles on lower cooking grate
<LI>Connected charcoal chamber/grate[/list]But hey, you still need stuff to be able to mod yourself, right?
icon_wink.gif
Well, the way I see it, they still have 14 months to get it right! LOL
icon_wink.gif

Chris, what's the overall height? (and hurry up with the rest of the pics!
icon_smile.gif
)

Bill

Wow, Chris! It must have taken some kind of self control not to spill the beans! Have fun on your next trial cooks. You can't post them soon enough.

Rita

its just beautiful. Dude you think your forums are full now... we better donate you a generator or two for when it comes to stores.

Chris, do you think you could convince the people at Weber to allow the teams that use the WSMs, a trade up? Or maybe a bigger discount?

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
What is not included that you may have wanted?<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Handles on middle section
<LI>Probe thermometer eyelet
<LI>Handles on lower cooking grate
<LI>Connected charcoal chamber/grate[/list]But hey, you still need stuff to be able to mod yourself, right?
icon_wink.gif
Well, the way I see it, they still have 14 months to get it right! LOL
icon_wink.gif

Chris, what's the overall height? (and hurry up with the rest of the pics!
icon_smile.gif
)

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am wondering if I have the right idea for the lack of handles on the mid section... In brewing, I have some VERY expensive 15 gallon pots that I use. They do not come with handles for a reason. That's because the manufacture DOES NOT want me to move the large pots full of 14 gallons of boiling water. It is a liability issue for them... Of course I still find a way to do it!

So I am thinking the same logic probably applies with Weber, even on this new big (un-named!) beast. There is no reason that they would want us to remove the mid section, or move the whole cooker during a cook... Water pan is filled as Chris says by the manual, all is well. This has to be it... And I guess that is cool. Companies have a LOT of liability issues to confront in any product.

Man, I thought I was in the "in" crowed when Chris did the Kingsford trip and subsequent write up. This is so great. Chris, you are to be congratulated again on being THE MAN when it comes to the Weber Smoker. What a great feeling you must have to know that you are someone sought out by such a great company as Weber to test drive their new baby. Congratulations!!!

All I can think about is Super Size Me. I want the 22" WSM and the 26" Kettle. They will be on my deck as soon as Amazon starts shipping.

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO
wsmsmile8gm.gif
(You're gonna have to make the wsm emoticon bigger)

hope this will mean that i can find a good cheap 18.5 unit soon. the new one would be way to big for me. it is amazing that it took them this long to get it together. i assume the quality is the same and not a chinese made flimsy thing.

Originally posted by Lonnie Mac:
I am wondering if I have the right idea for the lack of handles on the mid section...
Lonnie, I believe you are exactly right. If you think lifting the current WSM middle section is a big deal, wait until you try it with this huge 22" ring loaded with 3 gallons of water and who knows how many pounds of meat! Not advised. Adding handles is just asking for a lawsuit. I intend to ask Weber about this when I provide my feedback on the product.

Originally posted by george curtis:
i assume the quality is the same and not a chinese made flimsy thing.
Quality is the same as current WSM. Same gauge metals, same porcelain enamel finish...just on steroids.

Originally posted by Dave Witt:
How does the therm work/look?
Is it going to need to be replaced with a TelTru
It appears to be the same quality as current Weber gas grill thermometers, but customized to the smoker in terms of the temp range (100*F - 350*F). Good news is if you decide you want to use a different therm, you've already got a 3/8" hole in the lid.

But I do think this one will satisfy most folks. I tested it in boiling water and it was about 2*F low, which is similar to most of these types of therms. The metal bezel that holds the thermometer appears to be the same as or similar to the one on the Genesis gas grills, but as I said the therm itself is unique to the smoker. It looks very classy.

Originally posted by george curtis:
the new one would be way to big for me.
Having seen it first-hand, I agree with your assessment that it will be too big for some people. I'm glad they have improved upon the 18" model and then added a new 22" model for those wanting greater capacity.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Quality is the same as current WSM. Same gauge metals, same porcelain enamel finish...just on steroids.
I was gonna ask about that. What about the grates? Top grate, I assume, is the same as on the 22 1/2" kettle? Bottom grate?

I hope you're right about the pricing but I think that initially, the msrp is going to be the going price. Man, I gotta get me one of these!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I gotta put my older, well seasoned WSM in the Trading Post forum!!
icon_wink.gif

Bill

Thanks Chris. I believe this would not have happened without your hosting TVWB & TVWBB.

Question How are we going to refer to the large versus normal size WSM? Any ideas.

Back