New Weber pellet grills for 2020

Exactly the stuff I want to know as well, however an answer on Amazon from Weber states you wont be able to adjust temperature from the app upon initial roll out. That bothered me.

I think it is clear that the app and software on the unit itself won't be fully featured at launch. As said in previous posts, we are going to be beta testing this for the people who pick this up during the summer. It's the part of being an early adopter that I am not a fan of.

Hopefully they figure it out. My desire is to go high smoke in the begging because there is a point in a cook where the meat won’t absorb any more smoke or contribute to the formation of extra bark ��

High Smoke won't be available at launch either, sorry to say.

Looks like if you ordered directly from Weber you are getting an email today about shipment within the next week.

Oh really? I ordered an ex6 direct through weber right when I was able to and I haven’t gotten anything. I’d love to have it before the super bowl.

Oh really? I ordered an ex6 direct through weber right when I was able to and I haven’t gotten anything. I’d love to have it before the super bowl.

On a Facebook group, a few people have gotten calls from Weber today to take payment and schedule delivery. They are apparently giving a free bag of pellets and free delivery. The days that have been reportedly been scheduled for delivery have been February 6th and on.

Not yet...

Went to Home Depot and Lowe’s today for my organization but perused the grill sections at both stores. No sign of Weber pellets or SmokeFire grills yet.

Trying to be patient!:smilekettle:

I went to Lowe's to check out the pit boss and did see a couple bags of Weber pellets. I don't know how much they initially received. Perhaps a small amount were shipped ahead of the smokers.

Stopped by Lowe’s myself and nothing. That Pit boss 4 looked pretty nice for the price.

I also saw just a couple bags of any pellets, pit boss 40 pound competition blend for $14.99 and a 20 pound bag of apple, didn’t see a price.

I know I’ll at least have to try that 40 pound bag at that price.

Made a trip to Costco after and the Traeger guys were their. They asked if I had one and said I was waiting for the smokefire to ship. They seemed very annoyed and made a crack about how they are a pellet only company.

I wanted to ask about their pellets and if they didn’t actually have any of the flavor wood in them and if the pellets are really coated in oil instead, but like I said they weren’t in the mood.

Last edited:

Made a trip to Costco after and the Traeger guys were their. They asked if I had one and said I was waiting for the smokefire to ship. They seemed very annoyed and made a crack about how they are a pellet only company.

I wanted to ask about their pellets and if they didn’t actually have any of the flavor wood in them and if the pellets are really coated in oil instead, but like I said they weren’t in the mood.

Yeah, that probably wouldn't have gone over well. If the SmokeFire lives up to its billing and Weber can keep the price in line, it will definitely upset Traeger's domination. On that note, I am making a prediction here:

I expect Rec Tec to announce a new flagship grill to replace the RT-700 "Bull" before 2020 is out. Their more recent smaller grill shows that they are moving toward ditching the chimney (which makes putting on a cover a lot of fun:p). I don't think Rec Tec has been sitting around doing nothing as the leaks about the SmokeFire have started coming out. I expect a new Rec Tec to offer higher heat, improved grease management and a better placement of the digital readouts. Probably at least 4 probe capability as well.

There, I said it. Let's see how good a predictor I turn out to be!:coolkettle:

Stopped by Lowe’s myself and nothing. That Pit boss 4 looked pretty nice for the price.

I also saw just a couple bags of any pellets, pit boss 40 pound competition blend for $14.99 and a 20 pound bag of apple, didn’t see a price.

I know I’ll at least have to try that 40 pound bag at that price.

Interesting about the Traeger guys. At the end of the day, competition is good for the consumer for sure. I mean, even the Cuisinart ones bring in some new ideas to the party. Traeger has plenty of products in a different price segment than the SmokeFire, so I am sure they aren't too worried, atleast initially.

It is funny, 2-3 years ago a friend of mine was bragging on his Traeger to me. I was like, "Dude all you have is an outdoor oven!!!!" Now I totally get the appeal of it. I look forward to so much less work than I used to do and alot less cleanup afterwards. I almost feel like I should give him a call and apologize!!! I plan on keeping my Performer and probably my Q1200 gasser, but the rest of the fleet will be sold and/or given away.

Yeah, I had a few encounters with Traeger sales people at Costco and in my opinion their a snarky bunch. Must be a bunch of retired used car salesman.
I talked to my daughter the other day and she said they have had their Traeger for about seven years and it's still working fine. They are party people and I know that Traeger gets a workout.
I hope my Camp Chef holds up like their Traeger, but after the way I was treated by the sales people of Traeger I wouldn't buy one.

Got my Lumber Jack fruit blend, cherry and apple and Barbs got a couple of days off starting Thursday so some St. Louis ribs coming Thursday on the new Camp Shelf... Finally.
Will post to let all of you know how it worked.

I hope your prediction holds up Jon. These things are going to be like cell phones every year you will have the latest and the greatest. I used to be like that now I drive a 2002 Toyota 4runner which in 200 miles will hit 200k miles and it ain't going anywhere totally reliable and no leaks or problems of any kind... why change.

Last edited:
Interesting about the Traeger guys. At the end of the day, competition is good for the consumer for sure. I mean, even the Cuisinart ones bring in some new ideas to the party. Traeger has plenty of products in a different price segment than the SmokeFire, so I am sure they aren't too worried, atleast initially.

It is funny, 2-3 years ago a friend of mine was bragging on his Traeger to me. I was like, "Dude all you have is an outdoor oven!!!!" Now I totally get the appeal of it. I look forward to so much less work than I used to do and alot less cleanup afterwards. I almost feel like I should give him a call and apologize!!! I plan on keeping my Performer and probably my Q1200 gasser, but the rest of the fleet will be sold and/or given away.
When I bought my WSM 22 I remember saying I wanted something that requires some work to keep it at temp and that a traeger was an oven. Now I’ve hurt my back twice being stupid and lifting the WSM in bad positions, ruined 2 briskets to the point of throwing them away, completely my fault but I am now looking for an easier brisket maker.
I’m a tech geek and really hope the SmokeFire and Weber connect app are top notch.

When I bought my WSM 22 I remember saying I wanted something that requires some work to keep it at temp and that a traeger was an oven. Now I’ve hurt my back twice being stupid and lifting the WSM in bad positions, ruined 2 briskets to the point of throwing them away, completely my fault but I am now looking for an easier brisket maker.
I’m a tech geek and really hope the SmokeFire and Weber connect app are top notch.

I have to laugh when people call pellet grills, “easy bake ovens.” I am sure that those people have microwaves in their homes and use indoor ovens regularly. There are different types of cooking tools for different occasions. I enjoy coffee similarly to my love of grilling. However, during the busy work weeks, I use my automatic coffee maker regularly. I save my pour overs for the weekend. I feel the same way about grilling.

An offset smoker is great for long weekends but not that practical for weekdays for most people. For those occasions, a gasser or pellet grill is more practical.

My thoughts and I have a UDS which is the ultimate in simplicity maybe own a WSM some day when the drum falls apart which is probably another 5 years since its 10 years old but I maybe smoke ribs and briskets no more than 6 to 7 times a year. My family which is only 2 of us now I tend to cook ribs or brisket when I have my daughters over one is married we are just not a big leftover barbecue fan actually any leftovers so the food is generally gone at the end of my cooks.

I retired in July worked in a facility with 250 people, I would guess in the last 2 years at least 30 of the people I knew bought pellet grills and 90% of those people bought Traeger's. I can't remember one of them as they knew I was a barbecue guy used to talk to me all the time previously very few did anything with charcoal so no WSM's, UDS's or whatever. I think the pellet grills are bringing in a whole bunch of people who never entertained the thought of doing ribs or briskets because they are so easy to use. Most of them aren't the WSM crowd or the UDS crowd just a new crowd and that is good for barbecue. Maybe the ultimate winners are the supermarkets and Costco who sell briskets and ribs as well as the meat manufacturers probably going to sell a lot more ribs and brisket the more pellet grills increase in popularity.

I think Weber's problem is distribution and price in any of the grills they sell. I don't think they care about price so much as they are normally higher end which is their market so they really don't care as that is the niche there is nothing wrong with that but I really don't think Traeger is all that concerned. Now get the Weber in Costco or Walmart that is a huge customer base if all your going to sell them is in Ace and Lowes and no offense to Ace but all I ever go there is for stainless bolts and specialty items that HD or Lowes does not sell.

How many people are really going to even know about the Weber Pellet Grill's except us Weber enthusiast's. It does depend on your age also I loved Rich's comment on the Camp Chef will do the job and his age and mine paying up for a lifetime grill does not work as an incentive to fork out the money. 10 years ago yes, now not so much.

I kind of liked the comment on the coffee pots from Matt which is opposite from what I do. I have not used a coffee pot since the Keurig came out does it cost more per cup sure it does, do you waste less coffee cause you decided to make that second pot which you did not drink maybe half of it so hard to figure in the end. I get my pods from Costco love their French Roast from SF on sales its .30 a cup but its the convenience factor. If you look back on it Keurig they revolutionized how you made coffee seems the pellet grills in their own space are doing the same thing with smoking with the masses.

Some great observations Brian, especially on the coffee. I usually have about four cups of coffee, but in reality only two because I drink about half a cup then its to cold to finish.
I get up before 6am and Barb gets up about 7:30 so I make second pot so she has some fresh coffee. That's when I have my second two cups. Single servings would probably be a better way to go. But seeing we just bought a new coffee pot....Oh well.

I have to laugh when people call pellet grills, “easy bake ovens.” I am sure that those people have microwaves in their homes and use indoor ovens regularly. There are different types of cooking tools for different occasions. I enjoy coffee similarly to my love of grilling. However, during the busy work weeks, I use my automatic coffee maker regularly. I save my pour overs for the weekend. I feel the same way about grilling.

An offset smoker is great for long weekends but not that practical for weekdays for most people. For those occasions, a gasser or pellet grill is more practical.

Yeah .. but really, if its billed as " set and forget " .... then " easy bake oven " shouldn't be a big reach.

Even with a WSM, I've not done a lot of smoking on week days, maybe some hot and fast yardbird that takes an hour an a half.

And I gotta hunch, not many will be willing to put a brisket on a pellet pooper and then go to work and rely on their phone to tend the cook. Pellet pooper may not be as easy as their sold to be. I've read a lot of instances of pellet grill cooks gone wrong for many different reasons.

Some great observations Brian, especially on the coffee. I usually have about four cups of coffee, but in reality only two because I drink about half a cup then its to cold to finish.
I get up before 6am and Barb gets up about 7:30 so I make second pot so she has some fresh coffee. That's when I have my second two cups. Single servings would probably be a better way to go. But seeing we just bought a new coffee pot....Oh well.

Rich, since I found those SS Thermal cups, I almost never use anything else. They keep a 16oz cup of coffee plenty hot for over an hour. A cup will still be "warm" three or four hours later. That being said, I don't shy away from drinking room temp coffee either, especially in the summer.
The YETI is the Cadillac version of the cups but they are way over priced. I have a set my sister got for me for Christmas from Sams Club about 5 years ago and I use them every day. Drinking a cup as I type this.

The Ozark stainless assortment of thermal mugs, etc. (Walmart) all look identical to YETI ones to me. I watched a couple comparison You Tube videos, one filmed here in Florida. No difference in ice melting, so my ice tea - and presumably your hot coffee - would fare just as well. Only difference is you will have more $ to spend on the contents:cool:! I think the Ozark logo is a status symbol; it shows I can make a shrewd choice:coolkettle:!

Yeah .. but really, if its billed as " set and forget " .... then " easy bake oven " shouldn't be a big reach.

Even with a WSM, I've not done a lot of smoking on week days, maybe some hot and fast yardbird that takes an hour an a half.

And I gotta hunch, not many will be willing to put a brisket on a pellet pooper and then go to work and rely on their phone to tend the cook. Pellet pooper may not be as easy as their sold to be. I've read a lot of instances of pellet grill cooks gone wrong for many different reasons.

Call it "Easy Bake", call it "heresy" or call it what you want but Pellet Poopers are here to stay. I've only had one for 2 years and I'm not getting rid of mine. Lynn, in my case your hunch is spot on. I'll leave the house for an hour or two but not more and I'll never get so comfortable that I'll leave it alone for hours. Pellet grills are NOT as easy as they're sold to be but they are EASY and there are occasional glitches like running out of pellets mid cook.

One thought about Weber being late to the party. The first gas grill was sold in 1954 and Weber came out with the Genesis in 1985. They have a history of being late.

Lew interesting point you make about late to the party.

I am retired used to work for a Big Blue technology company, there is a point that can last many years of denial. I make way more money selling hardware this cloud stuff is a fad or it won't grow that fast and then one day you wake up and your hardware sales start cratering. You are not even in the game for cloud then you have to spend twice as much money, re-train your sales force or worse get rid of a lot of them then rehire new employees with different expertise. The funny thing is there are a lot of us saw it coming I was always a tech/sales guy and bought a lot of stuff from Amazon so I followed the company so I was aware of AWS which is their cloud basically maybe ten years or more ago.

Was Weber in denial to protect their existing products sounds like it if the first gas grill came out in 1954 and you waited till 31 years later to enter the game where were your marketing people could they not see the trend or was management unwilling to change. Say they wanted to wait 6 or 10 years or more before entering that market because the trend would become more clear that was still a long time before you came out with a product which was IMO a superior product at a price level which again high end so your market share is never going to be that great. Name of the game is make money so the chose that path.

I suspect it became so clear that the pellet grills were here to stay that they had no choice even though again their marketing people should have picked up on this trend. And now you were forced to start from scratch. All good that you see what everyone else did and try to come out with a better product but you are late to the game and a long way from catching up and like I said before in another post your distribution channels being Lowe's and Ace not exactly a barn burner since both of those outlets are selling multiple pellet grills.

I think and a big Costco shopper they sell pit boss and traeger however need to check my local costco as I was in a costco in raleigh a few weeks ago and the only pellet grill on display was the traeger. You would have to go to the costco website to even know they sold Pit Boss this is a big advantage for traeger.

As a Weber guy I hope they succeed but the pellet grill market like the gas grill market is starting to become a commodity market. Go buy a gas grill wait till August or Sept when they start blowing them out the door to get rid of inventory which is when you buy them. The number of entries in the pellet grill market keeps lowering the entry price where a $1,000 price point becomes pretty steep since my guess is half the people buying these have no clue to what they are buying so $600 looks a whole lot better.

Back