New Weber pellet grills for 2020

I retired in July worked in a facility with 250 people, I would guess in the last 2 years at least 30 of the people I knew bought pellet grills and 90% of those people bought Traeger's. I can't remember one of them as they knew I was a barbecue guy used to talk to me all the time previously very few did anything with charcoal so no WSM's, UDS's or whatever. I think the pellet grills are bringing in a whole bunch of people who never entertained the thought of doing ribs or briskets because they are so easy to use. Most of them aren't the WSM crowd or the UDS crowd just a new crowd and that is good for barbecue. Maybe the ultimate winners are the supermarkets and Costco who sell briskets and ribs as well as the meat manufacturers probably going to sell a lot more ribs and brisket the more pellet grills increase in popularity.

I read something last summer that attributed the high price of brisket to demand created by increased pellet pooper sales. I was skeptical, as I thought Arby's and Subway had more impact. But maybe there's some truth to that.

I read something last summer that attributed the high price of brisket to demand created by increased pellet pooper sales. I was skeptical, as I thought Arby's and Subway had more impact. But maybe there's some truth to that.

I suspect you're right. A lot of people are grillers not smokers or L & S because of the time it takes and the attention to the grill that's required. With the set and basically forget pellet grills it frees up the time needed with a conventional smoker. Making smoking a brisket an easier task.
When I asked my daughter why she likes her Traeger so much she replied that they entertain a lot in the summer and the Traeger allows them to spend more time with their quests instead of working the grill.

Last edited:
That's a good article Lynn there are just a lot more restaurants selling it also as you mentioned Arby's and Subway and they aren't just barbecue places. I live in a golf community which is open to the public very reasonably priced they make what they call a Southern Cuban which they use brisket I get it every time I go there its that good. No smokers to be seen so I assume they are buying it from a restaurant supply company, maybe they just warm it up really don't know.

Curious, has anyone received updates on Smokefire shipments? Mine is in order through Amazon still projected for February 10th and no updates yet.

We are getting slow close.... I just got my email from Weber - telling me their are going to place my order within week.......:coolkettle:

2020-01-29.jpg

Last edited:
Ditto on these cups have a couple picked them up at Walmart which sells of the low sale colors. Love them van hot heat for hours.

Out of curiosity, when did you place your pre-order? Trying to get an idea of how far through the pre-order list they’ve gotten.

All you pre-order guys are reminding me of 6 year olds the week before Christmas. LOL I don't say that with a negative meaning intended. Just makes me smile.

Out of curiosity, when did you place your pre-order? Trying to get an idea of how far through the pre-order list they’ve gotten.

December 17 - so I'm kinda happy they already reached out to me. I have a feeling if you miss this first batch, they going be on back order for a little while. That way Weber can watch what they have out and work with all the first users to fix any issues they have "if there is any issues" and once they know everything is ok - they will flood the market with them. That is my thoughts on this. I think this is going be a good Grill/Smoker

All you pre-order guys are reminding me of 6 year olds the week before Christmas. LOL I don't say that with a negative meaning intended. Just makes me smile.

@Bruce - Only if you really knew. Everyday I looking to see if there is a date or if someone received one early. On top of things - my old grill is out of service and I just can't wait to grill again. LOL

I’m not spending any money on anything these days except on products to be grilled/smoked/fried/roasted and eaten.
I’m looking forward to the first reviews from “regular folk” that have been patient enough to not gnaw their arms off waiting for the delivery of the new model!
As for the set and forget aspect of the poopers, that is exactly what my brother loves about his Traeger, it allows him time for a significant cocktail afternoon!
With respect to “spending more time with guests” sometimes I make up reasons to feel like I need to “check” things to get away from some people! C’mon, you all have done it too!

Last edited:
I sent Weber an email yesterday asking when the smoke fire would ship. They replied that it will ship early February but they did not know what that would look like from Amazon, Meaning it will take some time to get from Weber to Amazon.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

The SmokeFire grills are anticipated to begin shipping the first week of February. It is hard to say what the lead time will be from Weber to Amazon to customer.
Dane R
Weber Consumer Care Team
Weber-Stephen Products LLC

Yah, but they took on the pressure by the announcements and promotions and also the "Pre-Order" option. Let's just hope they didn't get out ahead of themselves and it all goes smooth and fast.

As for the set and forget aspect of the poopers, that is exactly what my brother loves about his Traeger, it allows him time for a significant cocktail afternoon!
With respect to “spending more time with guests” sometimes I make up reasons to feel like I need to “check” things to get away from some people! C’mon, you all have done it too!

Hmmm, a WSM smoker and a charcoal grill never prevented me from having significant cocktail time! I think your brother is doing it wrong.

J7Y1mlC.jpg

"Excuse me, I have to go check the grill/smoker," is my go to excuse!

My take is definitely, if it ain’t ready, take your time!! I have high expectations and hope it works out. Looking forward to spring!! Baseball and BBQ! Well at least BBQ, the Giants will suck.

Back