New stove recommendations?

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
Hello all.

The heating elements on the stovetop burners are slowly giving out. The oven still works fine. Rather than replace the heating elements, my wife and I have decided to just replace it in the next few months.

It's an electric Kenmore with a glass stovetop. Not going to get another Kenmore so just wanted to get some recommendations from you all on other brands.

Thanks!

Well I can tell ya one thing. Looking back the stupidest thing I have done in the last few years was I decided to not fix our Bosch range due to the age and expense of the parts. So we bought an LG. Stupidest move ever. What a POJ. Can't wait for the POC to die and I will buy another Bosch. Know too your Kenmore is Frigidaire/Electrolux. So if you're unhappy with it, stay away from those brands.

It sounds like the biggest decision you have to make is if you want a regular electric range that actually gets hot, or an induction range that cooks magnetically without ever warming up. Pros and cons either way.

I ended up with a Frigidaire stove (gas) and it’s been just fine, not a big super involved model 5 burners, no griddle. Three years in now and, I’m perfectly happy. But, it does seem to get Dirty all the time!😁

I'm done with Kenmore. The downfall of Sears and their appliances, etc. has been discussed at length here so no need to mention it further. Going to cancel my Sears CC as I haven't used it in several years and don't need it.

It sounds like the biggest decision you have to make is if you want a regular electric range that actually gets hot, or an induction range that cooks magnetically without ever warming up. Pros and cons either way.
An induction cooktop requires specific cookware, so that could be an additional expense.

"Induction cookware must be made of a magnetic-based material, such as cast iron or magnetic stainless steel. Fully clad cookware brands, such as All-Clad, Demeyere, Hammer Stahl, Hestan Nanobond, Le Creuset and Zwilling work on induction cooktops because they're magnetic."

Watching this thread because we will be remodeling our kitchen next spring and will be replacing our electric range/oven and wish washer. The wife likes the glass stove top so I guess that's what it will be. Not going to argue for gas burners, got to choose my battles on this project.

Funny we had a glass stove top and separate electric oven when we went to replace it, my wife insisted on dual fuel so the gas burners/electric oven. She is a big baker hence the electric oven but I was not going to argue either damn near choked to death when I bought the dual fuel which was an Electrolux Wave which is freestanding as they were one of the few who made them at the time and there was no discounting.

However that stove has bought me some nice toys along the way. :)

The nice thing about having dual fuel to the kitchen is that you can install a dual fuel, or an electric, or a gas stove. No one else has those choices.

The nice thing about having dual fuel to the kitchen is that you can install a dual fuel, or an electric, or a gas stove. No one else has those choices.
My house was built in the 60's.
NG and 220v outlet in both the kitchen and laundry room.
I built houses for 30 years starting in 1980 and never saw that again, you got one or the other but never both.

We built our house in 2013. We bought a used dual fuel stove before the house was finished and had the contractor install electric and gas to the kitchen.

The electronics on that stove died last year and we couldn't find a deal on a dual fuel. We currently have gas with a gas oven. To me, gas burners are much more important than an electric oven.

My house was built in the 60's.
NG and 220v outlet in both the kitchen and laundry room.
I built houses for 30 years starting in 1980 and never saw that again, you got one or the other but never both.
Maybe I misunderstood you my house was built in 1996 and I had an option of either electric or nat gas stove for appliances but the nat gas was plumbed to hook up the stove. I started with an electric cooktop and electric oven mounted underneath. When I went to dual fuel stove the gas hookup was already there did not have to do anything but plug the electric in to the outlet think it was originally hard wired so just bought the proper receptacle and hooked up the gas line. The laundry room only had electric for the dryer.

Unless you paid extra, I should of mentioned that.
When my subdivision was built it was for Caterpillar employees and they added a few extras no charge.

My house was built in 98 has NG and 220v to kitchen and laundry.

Double oven 220v, cooktop NG. No additional cost for this.

Gas line stub in laundry was an additional $75.

Builders are all about whacking buyers for extras..
You ask to move something before the house is even built and they charge a gnormous fee.
Us guys in the trade don't care, you put it here or there it usually takes the same amount of time and material.

I have had dual fuel ranges for over 30 years. Both of the ranges we Dacors. I love the electric oven and prefer the gas top. For me, best of both worlds.
‘My next range will be induction. I am currently studying them. I looked into induction back in 2015 but there we some performance issues that I did not like. Fast forward to 2022 and the technology has improved.

I did not pay extra nor did any of my neighbors in my subdivision for having a gas line to be able to put in a gas stove along with the electric it was standard and I looked at a lot of houses in my neighborhood they all had the same thing. All the houses in my neighborhood also have nat gas plumbed to the fireplace for gas starters to get wood going or if you wish to put in gas logs.

Maybe in other parts of the country you paid extra for that stuff but down here we did not.

Yeah our Bosch was dual fuel. We had our backs against the wall when we bought the garbage LG. Oven went out on the Bosch, tried a new element but some support electronics were out, I was looking at a very lengthy repair time due to it being about 11 or 12 yo, week before Xmas and wife was charged with a whole s&*tload of family baking for our clan. So we bought te LG out of desperation. Had I had time, I would have gladly spent even more than the $1200 the LG cost me just to repair the Bosch! Now 4 years later and still kicking myself every time I use that POJ

Back